Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,805
Ratings of Springbars

I have a Reese set up which I've had for 20 years and I'm wondering how I can tell what rating the springbars are? I hear people saying that a trailer my size(23ft.) should have bars rated about 550 to 600lb. What is the difference sizes I could measure to determine my rating of my current spring bars?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I have a Reese set up which I've had for 20 years and I'm wondering how I can tell what rating the springbars are? I hear people saying that a trailer my size(23ft.) should have bars rated about 550 to 600lb. What is the difference sizes I could measure to determine my rating of my current spring bars?
The rating of the bars, are also dependent on the exact tow vehicle, that will be used, and it's spring rate.

Measure at the top of the square bar as it enters the "trunnion."

1 inch = 550 pounds.

1 1/8 inch = 750 pounds.

1 1/4 inch = 1000 pounds.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,805
Thanks Andy!
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,805
Ok, Now after checking my spring bars I find out I have the 1000lb set up. I need to change over to a lighter set of spring bars. Looks like I need the 550lb set. I tow with a 1 ton pick up these days.
I tried calling Reese all day yesterday and only get a recording and it won't take a message, just says call back later. After calling back 35 time and hearing the same message I've had enough. Does anyone know if the older style spring bars are still made and where is a good place to call or visit online to order the same? A new set up would cost about $550 so I'm trying to just get the spring bars in the right size and save a few $.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Ok, Now after checking my spring bars I find out I have the 1000lb set up. I need to change over to a lighter set of spring bars. Looks like I need the 550lb set. I tow with a 1 ton pick up these days.
I tried calling Reese all day yesterday and only get a recording and it won't take a message, just says call back later. After calling back 35 time and hearing the same message I've had enough. Does anyone know if the older style spring bars are still made and where is a good place to call or visit online to order the same? A new set up would cost about $550 so I'm trying to just get the spring bars in the right size and save a few $.
Please check your PM.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Ok, Now after checking my spring bars I find out I have the 1000lb set up. I need to change over to a lighter set of spring bars. Looks like I need the 550lb set. I tow with a 1 ton pick up these days.
I tried calling Reese all day yesterday and only get a recording and it won't take a message, just says call back later. After calling back 35 time and hearing the same message I've had enough. Does anyone know if the older style spring bars are still made and where is a good place to call or visit online to order the same? A new set up would cost about $550 so I'm trying to just get the spring bars in the right size and save a few $.
Bluto,

Try a trailer repair shop or independent hitch installer. Either of these might have lighter bars that you can purchase.

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 222
Bumping an old thread as I have a similar question. We have a relatively new Reese setup with 750 lb bars that doesn't seem to be shifting enough weight to the front axle on our Tahoe.

I also have the 25 year old WD hitch that we got with the trailer. It had been painted so I don't know the brand. Is it possible to measure how strong the bars are? I would need to have the head rewelded to sit higher, but if the bars are 1000 lb bars I would consider that as the whole thing sits at least 1" closer to the bumper.

Thanks!
__________________
Ian Lomax
1966 Streamline Countess 26'
JeweloJalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeweloJalopy View Post
Bumping an old thread as I have a similar question. We have a relatively new Reese setup with 750 lb bars that doesn't seem to be shifting enough weight to the front axle on our Tahoe.

I also have the 25 year old WD hitch that we got with the trailer. It had been painted so I don't know the brand. Is it possible to measure how strong the bars are? I would need to have the head rewelded to sit higher, but if the bars are 1000 lb bars I would consider that as the whole thing sits at least 1" closer to the bumper.

Thanks!
Post a photo showing the hitch set up when it's ready for travel.

Truck scales are the best way to determine weight transfer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
dznf0g's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,882
Images: 5
Ian,

Could you post some pics.
I had no problem moving all the weight I wanted with my 30'er (900lb tongue weight) when I used my Reese with 800# bars. I wonder if you are using enough head tilt.
__________________
-Rich-

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Vintage Kin
 
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 8,014
Images: 1
A used hitch may have been over-stressed at some point. It's a gamble no matter what "fixes" or changes are applied.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A used hitch may have been over-stressed at some point. It's a gamble no matter what "fixes" or changes are applied.
Used, most anything, has an unknown history.

When it comes to using "used" torsion bars, it's anyone's guess as to how they were treated.

Safety, dictates avoid used torsion bars.

The penalties may be greater than someone has bargained for.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RV consumer group ratings MJBear Buyer Guidelines 25 01-24-2019 08:08 PM
Axle Weight Ratings Gkiesel Axles 7 06-03-2008 02:01 PM
Oil Ratings ALANSD Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 48 03-15-2007 03:29 PM
More on tow ratings ipso_facto Tow Vehicles 19 11-16-2004 04:11 PM
RV Service Ratings Tin Hut Our Community 18 11-15-2004 09:52 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.