Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2003, 10:12 AM   #1

Question about towing a trailer

I use my AS for camping as well as hunting trips. I pull my AS with a Chevy Tahoe with no problem.

My question and problem is getting my four wheeler or boat to the campsite for a hunting or fishing trip.

Is there any good way that I could mount a hitch on the back of my AS to pull a small trailer for my 4 Wheeler or my small fishing boat when we go fishing?

I would appreciate any help that I can get.

Murryman
murryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Muarry,

Can you do it? Yes.

Should you do it? NO!

Let me count the ways..............

Frame not made to have those stresses on it. Towing/tuning/pulling. Besides you will have to go the the frame rails as the bumper is aluminum so the hitch cannot be mounted there. Additional reinforcement means more weight at the end of the frame. This can cause frame seperation.

If you are pulling a 27 foot or over, the up and down motion going over humps in the road, or in and out of driveways will throw the four wheeler off a trailer due to the lever action from the tounge dropping as your bumper drops. This will also create additional stress on the frame.

The boat is a lighter weight tounge, but even a rear bumper mounted spare tire or rack of bikes can cause frame damage.

Also, does your state even allow the 2 trailer setup? Some states do not.

Soultions:

Boat on the roof of the Tahoe via a roof rack, with the motor in the back of the truck. If it is a bass boat, this will not work unless you get a special rack built. 4wheelers, I would say it is time to get a truck so the 4 wheelers can go in the bed. This truck could also take the boa on a roof rack allowing you to have it all as long as you have enough truck.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:20 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brett hit the reasons why right on the head.

Just don't do it.....there is a reason that even the spare tires are not mounted to the bumpers on Airstreams.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Most states which allow towing two trailers require the first trailer be a fifth wheel, and 21 states do not allow second trailer.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote