Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
ProPride Question

Didn't quite know if I should have posted this... under 2Air's PP User guide or somewhere else but here goes.

Earlier this year I installed a PP. The installation went well, so I assume, but have notices some interesting things since and would like some feedback as to what may be my issue...what to look for. Before the install my towing experience was pretty good. Averaging abut 14-15 MPG, good tire wear, etc., just wanted to get a little more assurance that I would never get into a sway event and would assure that my wife would not have any towing concerns. Since the install thought, I have seen some things that may point to an issue that I may have caused in the install or maybe there is something else going on.

First, The hitch, from a towing perspective does it's job. not a single towing issue over the 6,000 or so miles from Colorado to California and other places with mountains. However, I am noticing that where ever I pull the trailer, against the wind, with the wind, uphill, downhill, 55MPH, 65 MPH, I still get between 10 and 12, not the 14-15 I got in the past. Also, seeing some feathering/cupping on the outer edge of the tires that I have not seen in the past. To top that off, I am getting some "pushing/pulling" to the left when braking.

This is what I have checked: Did the "flat level" alignment check on the tires. That seemed ok. Pulled the wheels to check the bearings, wheel brake wear, brake pad wear, and braking mechanism. All seemed to be fine. Adjusted the brakes....1/2 full turn of the adjustment screw is all it took for all 4 wheels. Since the change-over in hitches, we have not done any rough road driving or hit large bumps, potholes. Again, towing has been a non-event...pretty good ride.

I have even been to the Cat Scales and keep the towing assembly level, and restore most, not all, of the weight to the front axle. Also have tried different degrees of weight distribution, but within my range of experiment, once everything is level, all seems good. One thing that helps--only a little-- is providing a little more gain to the brake controller then I have in the past. But, this only helps a little during slow speed, in town braking.

Also, from my perspective when driving, I cannot see any sideways tracking of the trailer. I always tow with the black and grey empty with the fresh full. And, really don't put that much in the trailer, mostly clothes, food, etc.

I am tossing in a couple of pics (before and after) of the assembly with and without the truck attached.

So, could I have aligned the assembly wrong...could the Yoke, if out of alignment, result in the trailer tracking not exactly straight(making the tires feather), and result in a push or pull when braking. If so is there an alignment trick that someone has to fix it?

Thanks for you help?
2001Excella
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	108746   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	108747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	After 2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	108748  
Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Let's move this discussion to pp thread per 2Airs suggestion.