Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #61
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Interesting comment on backing. Longest I think I have done was about 1/2 mile. Slow and easy. Didn't have any problems. Combination of the side mirrors and the Voyager backup camera. Take your time and don't hurry. Generally if the head is off to one side it will stay there unless you make a major direction change.

When I back into a parking space head is usually off to one side or the other. Simply pull ahead a couple of feet, reverse with the wheel hard cranked over and back up a couple of feet. Usually gets it aligned again so that I can get the jack down between the tension bars.

It does help with a backup camera on the truck. I added pieces of white tape. Top of stinger, down the slope piece and then on the center of the head. Easy to see the alignment in the truck rear view camera. Also helps with alignment on backing into the head.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This backing problem is something we have not experienced and we travel a lot. It just shifts to one side (barely noticeable) and stays there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I back up around our cul de sac
just for fun.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I've got about 140,000 of towing three different Airstreams with the same Hensley. I have never thought that there was any backing problem.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started our Airstream experience with A Hensley Arrow on the 25FB behind the 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI. The car had been to CanAm and the stinger was both shortened and bent to preload the weight distribution bars. After getting the trailer loaded for camping, the numbers were bad and we got a new stinger to connect to the Dodge 2500HD.

I installed a ProPride (second generation Hensley design) on our Classic which happily follows the Dodge.

The Hensley has rested in a storage unit. Now it is being revived to couple a 23' Airstream behind the Mercedes.

There is really quite an operational difference between the two designs. The PP is easier to use in my opinion, but the HaHa was already in my stock with all new fittings.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTrvlr View Post
Please say more about backing with the Hensley/PP. I had not heard of this being an issue.

Warren Smathers

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

I've never owned anything else so I have nothing to compare this with. But backing up with the ProPride is best done slowly. I think because there's about 2 feet from the rear bumper to the ball and a trapezoid "box" that changes shape as you turn, you need to go slowly so that box doesn't "collapse" and swing the back end quickly - and then you need to catch up quickly by steering in the other direction.

Go slowly enough and you can see the back end of the trailer moving in the direction you want and then gentle inputs to the steering wheel and you're fine. If really twisted up, pull up a couple feet and come back. It's all good :-)

I did get out once and take a bow after the show I put in backing in at a site 😄

Folks I travel with who have different hitches tell me it's different. So I guess you can get used to anything. My main goal is for the sway prevention going forward.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
I back up around our cul de sac
just for fun.

😄😄

I literally just got the gumption to try going FORWARD around my cul de sac a few weeks ago!! I always wondered whether there would be enough room but was too chicken to try it (this is our 3rd year with it &#128515.

Works perfectly and is going to be life changing for us 😄

Just hope folks don't park their cars in the street there 😳
Old 07-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am not totally familiar with PP but I have been noodling this backing issue for a few days. I have a HAHA and I know if you don't have the struts under a goodly amount of compression, forcing the ball into the front of the coupler, and keeping the upper head half rigidly in place, you can have slop or side to side motion of the upper head half. I can see where backing in that scenario could cause side to side motion in both halves of the head. That could definitely cause squirrelly backing.

I think that adjustment is in the yoke on a PP?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I am not totally familiar with PP but I have been noodling this backing issue for a few days. I have a HAHA and I know if you don't have the struts under a goodly amount of compression, forcing the ball into the front of the coupler, and keeping the upper head half rigidly in place, you can have slop or side to side motion of the upper head half. I can see where backing in that scenario could cause side to side motion in both halves of the head. That could definitely cause squirrelly backing.

I think that adjustment is in the yoke on a PP?
You are right Rich, the yoke controls that on the PP, but it's fixed, nonadjustable, assuming it doesn't slip. My experience with the hitch was it functioned in reverse just like it did in forward, as far as swinging to either side is concerned.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:45 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, so how does one keep the ball "compressed" into the front of the coupler with a PP?

And ensure it is "square" and rigid with the A-frame?

And...I've never had a backing issue with a properly adjusted PPP hitch. HAHA in my case.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
You actually don't keep the ball "compressed into the front, and the way the yoke holds the head square with the tongue, it doesn't matter, again, unless the yoke slips.

The yoke is held square under the A frame with a bar setup that is clamped to the A frame with "U" bolts, and in extreme circumstances like lagging trailer brakes, it will slip. Think of the yoke as a tongue on an old four wheel wagon.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I need to sit down and study one "live" one of these days.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I'll have to have Cheryl back it sometime and get out to watch the difficulty I've never noticed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
There was an interesting thread over on rv net a few months ago. A fella there was having sway problems with a large white box toy hauler behind a Ram 2500. He went through a LOT of work using a conventional sway control/WD hitch, multiple passes at the CAT scale, etc, trying to eliminate a sway problem at highway speeds. Nothing worked.

He bought one of these pivot projection hitches, and it "eliminated" his sway issues instantly.
One of my take aways from this whole discussion of this design vs conventional design hitches is that if you have a problem child trailer ( and perhaps a marginal tow vehicle, from a stability standpoint ) then one of these hitches may provide the solution you are looking for.
The flip side of this is that if you have a trailer that is fundamentally stable in it's setup, then the added expense and weight may not be worth it. When I installed my "conventional WD/sway control" hitch ( BlueOx ) on my SOB trailer, I took it for a test drive, and tried to make it sway. Yanking the steering wheel back and forth at speed, also, dropped the right side wheels off the edge of the pavement, and pulled back up onto the road. No sway. All I managed to do was re-arrange some loose stuff inside the trailer, and "open some cabinet drawers".
For me personally, I would not hesitate to buy a propride if I felt I needed it from a safety standpoint. But at least for this trailer, and this truck, what I have is working correctly.
Not all trailers tow the same, and not all trucks handle the towing the same. Use what works for your particular lash-up.

And yes, I know what "good towing" feels like. I have four trailers I tow on a regular basis ( two bumper pulls and two different goosenecks ).
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Another way to view it is like the old yoke's on early model Fords that held the axles in place.

Or, take the Hensley struts loose from the A frame, and tie them to a common point under the A frame.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I wish I had taken a picture of it at the Mothership. They moved ours like that with 2 large vice grips - one to each side (left and right) of the center of the head sitting on the trailer. If you just put your hand on the head and move it left and right, you will see where a pair of clamps will keep it straight and prevent it from swinging. Hard to describe otherwise :-)
Steve,

Could this be the set up you saw at JC? After playing with my vice grips, this appears to be the only way to immobilize the head.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pro pride hook up.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	242701  
Old 07-11-2015, 03:16 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
That looks about right, Ron - does it "freeze" the head from moving? I think Jackson Center used bigger vice grip clamps and the handles weren't pointed out (left and right) but both with handles facing forward of the hitch.

If that locks it, I think you got it!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #78
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
I just installed a Hensley last week for the first time. It took longer to read the manual than to actually install it. Much less than an hour and easy to do.
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That looks about right, Ron - does it "freeze" the head from moving? I think Jackson Center used bigger vice grip clamps and the handles weren't pointed out (left and right) but both with handles facing forward of the hitch.

If that locks it, I think you got it!
Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try and see if I can lock up the head with the vice grips going the other way. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight will be on my schedule for next week to pick up some larger vice grips. Now where did I put that %20 discount paper?

>>ron<<
Old 07-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have not noticed this backing "thing" at all. For that reason,
I'm not going to spend the time analyzing it.

I have had a lot of opportunity to watch the hitch while backing, because my wife always backs the trailer while I provide guidance and obstacle avoidance. I am 100% convinced, if this phenomenon exists on the ProPride, its effect can be measure in a few inches at most.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote