Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: How should I get my ProPride installed here in WA?
Home Depot Parking lot & Sean on Speed Dial 8 88.89%
Pro install by... (please indicate in thread) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #1

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Grand Prairie , Texas
ProPride Installation While On The Road

Hello Everyone!

SITUATION
1. Next month we will be taking delivery of our Flying Cloud 25RB at Airstream Adventures outside of Tacoma WA.
2. TV is 2019 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro4x.
3. Intent is to install a Pro-Pride 3P after consultation with PP/Sean.
4. If I were at home in TX, I would have the high speed internet, space, and tools to perform a DIY installation, which is what I would normally prefer; however, Dallas is 3000 miles away.

QUESTION
How should I get the ProPride installed while here in WA? Should I drive to the nearest Home Depot parking lot and get busy? Or, is there someone in this area that would do a good job with the installation?

THANKS!
ftelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Just about any U-Haul rental installs hitches. There are quite a few in Tacoma. Your RV dealer can fine tune the hitch when you pickup the trailer.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
At the dealer lot?

As others have mentioned before, staying the first night in the dealer lot can be a big plus in terms of finding the inevitable squawk that was undetected at delivery. Double plus might be access to an hourly mechanic for 15 minutes with the needed monster torque wrench. Other than the torque wrench, installation is easily accomplished with the sort of tools you would want to have along on any RV trip.

Airstream Adventures NW in Gladstone, Oregon was great to deal with when we picked up our gently used unit a few years ago. The mechanics were accessible and helped solve a few last-minute items before departure.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Long ago when we picked up our 2002 new, I installed a Hensley Arrow hitch in the dealer's parking lot. The dealer supplied an extension cord plugged into their shop and no other help. A ProPride is not the same, but the complexity of the installation is not significantly different.

If you would be able to do the installation at home, it should be possible to do it at the time of delivery after prior careful review of the installation process. You need to recognize that the components are heavy and that you will need adequate tools. Allow sufficient time.

If you do decide to take on the installation yourself, I suggest asking the dealer if they could help.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Why not have Airstream Adventures install as opposed to U-haul?
We have driven hundreds of miles to buy from ASA several times and they have always come through for us !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 03:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftelliott View Post
Hello Everyone!

SITUATION
1. Next month we will be taking delivery of our Flying Cloud 25RB at Airstream Adventures outside of Tacoma WA.
2. TV is 2019 Nissan Titan Crew Cab Pro4x.
3. Intent is to install a Pro-Pride 3P after consultation with PP/Sean.
4. If I were at home in TX, I would have the high speed internet, space, and tools to perform a DIY installation, which is what I would normally prefer; however, Dallas is 3000 miles away.

QUESTION
How should I get the ProPride installed while here in WA? Should I drive to the nearest Home Depot parking lot and get busy? Or, is there someone in this area that would do a good job with the installation?

THANKS!

First: I have installed a few hitches, but am no expert, and have never installed a PPP hitch set up, but it looks like it can be done following the instructions step by step,

BUT you are 3k from home, why not have AS Adventures install it for you, for the peace of mind for the drive home is worth it alone,

Also can you do a shake down overnight stay at the dealership, this way if there is any small issues with the trailer they can be addressed before you hit the road, small investment of $ and Time now for a lifetime of enjoyment later

regards Ultra
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement EZ-Lift WD with 2 Anti Sway Bars. previous tow vehicle 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 367,000Kms 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would give the dealer a call and talk over the install with them. Assuming there is no pushback from them on the idea, having them do the work is by far the best approach. I would guess they have installed them before .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
^
X2

Along with... standing around watching, asking a lot of questions without being too much of butt pain.

Look for the sign
Hourly Rates
$90/hr
$110/hr if you watch
$125/hr if you help
Questions are still free.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
I have installed a PP hitch in the campground the day after picking up my trailer from the dealer. The instructions are pretty well written. Youíll need a good set of large wrenches/sockets. Torque wrench will be needed as well.
Can be done DYI but takes some lifting.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:22 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Do you folks that have dealers install your hitch worry that something might go wrong and you won't know how it works out on the road?

There is no way I would let someone do that for me. I want to know what makes it tick and I want to be able to make adjustments on the road. I also want to have a thorough understanding of how it works.

I understand that some of these hitches are sold as a package with the new trailer and I can understand letting them do it. If I have my hitch in hand I am doing it myself.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Having a bottle Jack and a small floor Jack available helps with the necessary lifting and holding a few heavy parts in place while you insert bolts, etc.

Failing that, a sturdy assistant or two is very helpful.

You do absolutely need a 1/2 drive 250 foot-pound torque wrench to properly torque bolts on the stinger, for one. I used an adjustable clicker torque wrench from Harbor Freight.

Following the directions carefully is key to doing it right, for safe towing and proper setup. My then 18-year old daughter and I set up our ProPride without issue. The jacks were vital in our case to get the head into the Airstream hitch and hold it while we got it latched and aligned. You do need a hard surface area of concrete or asphalt to work on.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
Do you folks that have dealers install your hitch worry that something might go wrong and you won't know how it works out on the road?

I don't understand how having the dealer install the hitch would prevent one from knowing how the hitch works....
With that said, I had my dealer install my PP hitch. However, they put the stinger together incorrectly and I had to redo that.

For the install, you can download a set of U-tube videos to use as reference where ever you do the install. Wikihow has instructions showing a couple of methods on how to do the download.
https://www.wikihow.com/Download-YouTube-Videos
Old 03-30-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
I, a newbie, and my newbie neighbor installed mine on my 23’ FC; it only took us 8 hours. We did it in an RV park in Fort Worth (not the most optimum conditions)

Best advice is to watch the YouTube video by GMFL (posts on this forum). That’s how I learned and referred back to during the installation.

Charlie at Airstream of DFW installs them. He double-checked my installation when I had her in for service. But as you said, it’s a 2,000 mile trip to get there.
missaviatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

I would not want to tow a 7,000# trailer thousands of miles on just the ball. That would probably be a pretty miserable trip.

We use a Hensley hitch system. I have installed it myself on three different Airstreams. All of these were done in the dealer's parking lot. My original Hensley installation was done by an Airstream Dealer. It was not properly, and I had to reinstall it myself. I would not trust a dealer technician to install either a Hensley or a ProPride. I have assisted in the installation of two ProPrides. I have also installed Hensleys at two campgrounds, one in Washington and one in Montana. These were done when Hensley had to send me new control heads under warranty.

Being that the Hensley does not require any drilling, hand tools is all you need. You do not need any kind of jack. Two people can very easily lift the control head onto the hitch bar. Then you can use the tongue jack to place the trailer onto the ball. It can easily be done in a couple of hours. Just follow the instruction manual carefully.

Just keep in mind that most dealer technicians have zero experience in installation of these hitch systems. You are likely to do a better job than they can.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
I wonder why people respond if they dont have a PP hitch.

We had exactly the same dilemma as the OP, in the end I paid for a hauler to deliver it to our house so that I can install the PP on our driveway. It was worth EVERY penny.

- there will be tools/supplies that you need and certainly don't have on a parking lot, i.e. the right washers to lift the propane tank base

- you want to be on a perfectly flat surface to measure your car and trailer heights (multiple times)

- you don't want to be interrupted because you are on a public parking spot

- we started at 10am and stopped at 7pm when it got dark, you do not want to be in a hurry because the last final steps are all about weight distribution and measuring. We continued the next day and took it on a few test drives, and were done around lunchtime

Also, the MOST helpful part of the install was texting with Ronnie and watching his video:
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #16

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Grand Prairie , Texas
Aistream Adventures Does Not Install Pro-Pride 3P

Hello Everyone

I checked with Airstream Adventures and they do not install nor work on Pro-Pride hitches. They sell and install the Blue Ox. Nothing bad to say about the Pro-Pride, they just don't install them.

Before posting, I had looked at the manual and the videos pretty carefully. My only installation concern was the possibility of having to grind those spacers on the towers or possibly having to accommodate any adjustments to the wiring harness or propane box on the Flying Cloud since those issues might involve tools I don't have with me.

I think we'll pick up the trailer and do some local use, then sort out the hitch. I know someone with access to lots of tools and space at a marina in Anacortes so I may figure out an installation at that location.

THANKS!
ftelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Iíve installed two and both took 5-6 hours. Second one was at DFW AS and I paid a small fee for Charlieís help. Given he was busy, I had about 70% of it done before he could jump in. They were kind enough to let me use their tools (in addition to those I brought) which for the most part involved using their grinder so the tower plates would not impinge on the battery box lid. Doing it inside their space was nice too.

First install was out in a dealer lot... a ten foot pop up shade awning saved my bacon! A couple of moving blankets will save your knees too.

Generally though, a tape measure, torque wrench and a good socket set is most of what you need. Floor jack helps but method above works too if you donít have one.

Make sure to order the 7-way and chain extension kit from PP. Be aware that if you have front access storage, the towers will limit the doorís opening range.

Understanding tongue weight and how it may effect the stance of your TV might also need to be a thought process. I had air bags added to my F250 and ride nice and level. If you think you will need or want those, it would save later adjustments to get them prior to install. If you already have them, remember they are there during the install! On my first install, they came with the TV and when done installing, I turned the TV on, they activated, and I had to readjust everything....arrrgggh!

Good Luck! Youíll love the hitch.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #18
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
About all you need is basic tools, a floor jack and hand truck to move the parts around. I have installed my Hensley on two different trailers. Each time it gets easier. ProPride is almost the same hitch and Sean knows them both intimately. Call if you get stuck.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
It took me about 4 hours to install mine. The biggest “hassle” was dealing with the propane tank. You will need some spacers to lift the tank up from the frame a bit. Buy at a local hardware store. Not really a big deal. Also I wouldn’t trust a dealer to install a PP hitch UNLESS they regularly do it. If they mess up you will have to undo and then do it again. Time and money wasted. Then there’s also the fact that you learn what is involved with the hitch as you install it.

You will need socket and open wrenches. And a 250lb torque wrench. But you can buy all those for pittance compared to what it would cost a dealer to put it on. If you have someone help with lifting you don’t need the floor jack. Although I had one and used it anyway.

If you do it on a Home Depot parking lot you can go in and buy everything you need. That’s a real plus.

Open all the boxes and lay out all the parts.
Just follow the instructions very closely.
Don’t get in a hurry.
Hopefully it is a fairly warm day. It wasn’t for me, so I did it in hour spurts.
Sean was a great help and when you are all done I would send him some pictures to make sure everything is done correctly.

One thing you should get is the ProPride 3P Hitch Lot Bar with Link Locking Plate. REASON: Many dealers do not have a way to move a trailer with a PP hitch. This way you can use a regular hitch ball to move the trailer if necessary.

By the way, I just had a friend install a PP hitch on his trailer. He hesitated a long time before getting one. Loves it.

One other thing that will come in handy is a 18 or 20v battery drill to use on the towers. You’ll want to get one if you don’t have one. Big plus when adjusting the towers.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I just installed a Hensley, I needed an 18v drill, torque wrench, tape measure, a couple different sockets, grease gun, paper towel, rubber gloves. I lifted the main head unit into position and my wife locked the tongue. It only takes about 1-1.5 hrs. To get everything installed.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote