Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: How should I get my ProPride installed here in WA?
Home Depot Parking lot & Sean on Speed Dial 8 88.89%
Pro install by... (please indicate in thread) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2021, 04:05 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
North Royalton , Arizona
Watch the YouTube videos multiple times, read the installation manual to familiarize yourself on the steps, parts and tools you’ll need. Proceed slowly. With PPP, there’s no drilling on the A frame, with Hensley, there’s drilling involved. I’ve installed the Hensley myself, on my driveway though, not away from home.

Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	392049
Melucy2airs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:08 AM   #22
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Going to do the same thing in Tampa when we take delivery.

I figure if I can't do it on their lot I will do it in the camp ground that afternoon.

Watch the videos until you can recite them from memory.

Bring plenty of washers etc. with you and your power tools and chargers, wrenches, cheaters, chair, carpet for laying under it and I think you will be fine.

And I am sure I will have a few "Aw *hit" moments anyways...I'm pretty sure I could find parts in Tampa. I'm planning on pre-searching TSC's and other places in the area for that which I miss.
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
IIRC, everything you need except for tools comes with the ProPride. If you need extra parts (say you drop a washer), you'll want Grade 8 replacements.

Also IIRC, I believe the manual is pretty specific about which tools you'll need. You may need to run out for something unexpected but I'm fairly certain that with a little prep you'll be all set for a smooth install. None of it is difficult though some of the parts are cumbersome to handle solo.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
Congrats on the new trailer! I have installed three Propride hitches. All in dealer lots, all were on airstreams.

the first one, took about four hours and there was certainly a learning curve. the second one i installed took about two hours. and the third took just over an hour.

I needed spacers under all three propane trays (two trailers were 2018 and one was a 2017) In all cases i used a stack of washers with packing tape around them to keep them easy to manage. I'd prob use a solid nylon or metal spacer in the future, but the washers have worked out just fine and allowed me to dial in the height gap.

Two trailers had no issues with the jack tower spacers, everything just slipped on, however one trailer the fit was crazy tight and required a ton of "manipulation" with a block of wood and mallet to get it seated.

In all cases i made sure to have all of the tools listed in the manual (and a few extras to be safe) and just took my time. by the third one I was super familiar with the design and order and barely needed the manual.

A potential time saver is assembling the hitch bar/ stinger ahead of time. this will require getting the trailer coupler height in advance.

If you can spare the time and the dealer will allow it, i would highly recommend installing prior to leaving for home.

good luck either way!
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Tumwater , Washington
Camping World in Fife has performed hitch work for me with good results.
T James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You can download the instructions and watch on oukeytubby to learn the install sequence and required tools.

Don’t forget a pencil and good eraser.. phones are ok but hard to sketch with

The bigger thing is torquing the stinger after adjustment. That part the stealer should do with an impact wrench to really lock it in place.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
Minor point: We were having problems with our seven-point connection so I removed the extension cable (which solved the problem). Even with truck and trailer at 90 degrees, there was still adequate slack in the original AS cable. So I don’t think the extension cable is really needed. (The chain extensions do seem necessary though.) This would save you a few minutes. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong about this.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
FFWilliston

2021 30RB Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Supervise with help

As part of the purchase, John's RV (Airstream SC) was to install the P3 on my Classic. On delivery, after all parties agreed they were not well-experienced with the ProPride, they provided labor while I supervised/directed the installation (and accepted responsibility for the process/results).
Having survived a pre-P3 crash, I am very cautious about any installation. I ensured (Internet research), a previous install, mechanical experience, and near-memorizing the manual, that I was up to the task. (I also used my calibrated torque wrench.)
Results: A perfect install, a happy customer, and verification of John's RV excellent reputation for customer service.
Previous posts noted that required tools, including the torque wrench, should be carried on any RV trip.
This process worked well for me; do what's best for you. In any case, verification is the key. Good luck.
ffwilliston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Burnsville , Minnesota
Spend one night at a campground

I installed a pro pride after taking delivery about 200 miles from home. Towed it on the ball to the nearest campground and spent the night. Had to make one trip to the hardware store for some miscellaneous parts.
winfahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #30

2021 27' Globetrotter
Previously from Seattle , WA
Pro Pride Install

Call ASA, they took my 2021 27ft Globetrotter to a local shop and had the install performed same day, they also "lifted" the trailer 4inches" The actual cost came in under the estimate (about $1800 for both services ). I think the mechanical installation portion was about $350. We are full time and as of November last year logged over 3,000 miles no issues.
PappaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #31
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Download instructions, RTFM (read the fine manual). Ask questions. DIY and you will become confident in the hitching process and how it works.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
I had muy PP3 installed by a dealer who never installed one before, so I was the learning opportunity. Besides the obvious, I would install it wherever you can have your iPad along and with the sun away from the screen, there are very good YouTube videos on it. Play, rewind, play, pause, repeat until you get all right. It is of particular importance that your TV keeps the same height to the well bay top to the floor, front and back. If you squat behind, you lose traction on your steering tires. To correct that one has to use spacers on the hitch at the truck. The head of the hitch at the TT is somewhat forgiving as long as the towers on both sides keep the head aligned horizontally on the same plane with the hitch (stinger) from the truck or it will bind. To have the receptacle on the TT moveable, also remember to kick the weight distribution bars inwards, they tend to stay ‘out’ and is hard to move it then.

All the pain is well worth it. I trailed with the other more common, famous brand (don’t want to trash them by name) for a decade, it makes the world of difference! Can you imagine, no sway?, no ‘bow’ effect when passed/passing an 18 wheeler? Yep, it is that good!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
I purchased 2 Airstreams at the same dealer (recently moved from Covington WA). The hitch experts 10 minutes away installed my hitch and really are top notch experts. I’d check out Torklift Central to compare with other options

We have logged over 75.000 miles all over the USA and Canada without a problem. I was going to say “without a hitch”, but that wouldn’t be funny.

https://torkliftcentral.com/

Happy travels!
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #34
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftelliott View Post
I checked with Airstream Adventures and they do not install nor work on Pro-Pride hitches. They sell and install the Blue Ox. Nothing bad to say about the Pro-Pride, they just don't install them.

That's odd. I purchased my 2015 Airstream from Airstream Adventures in California but picked up at their location in Boise ID. I had my PP shipped directly to them and they did the install and did a good job. Only had to do some minor adjustment on the stinger when I arrived with my truck. They do not charge for setting up a blue ox (it's what they sell) but I had to pay for the labor of installing the PP.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #35

2021 30RB Classic
Lake Stevens , Washington
Torklift in Auburn, WA

Congrats on the new trailer.

We purchased our 2021 Classic from Seattle Airstream Adventures. Great purchase experience, terrible hitch install experience (Blue Ox Setup). Ended up going to Torklift in Auburn WA to fix their work. About 20 minutes away. Great experience and easy to work with. Switched to an Equalizer Setup and couldn't be happier. Would definitely be worth your time to see if they can do the ProPride for you.
HokeColburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:39 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
ftelliot,
It looks like you have it all figured out and have gotten a lot of good suggestions.

I installed mine myself within the last 2 months. Some thoughts.
I installed on a 2019 25' FB Twin. The challenge with this is the front compartment and the interference with the jacks. Brent sent me some special jacks to mitigate that. You have a rear bed so that won't be an issue.
I did not use a jack. I did not use a dolly to move stuff around. I just moved one piece at a time.

My dealer also would not install it because they don't sell it. You buy direct from ProPride. They don't make any money on it. They don't want to be responsible.

So, I tow a 2019 25 foot FB Twin with a Tundra and obviously the PPP hitch. It is a dream to tow. I have towed a lot of heavy horse trailers, gooseneck, and had fun doing that. I wanted something as fun as that was. This delivered. We drove it through high, gusty winds. Watched the semi trucks get blown around. We were solid. Barely felt the wind until we stopped and it grabbed my driver's door. You are going to absolutely love the setup.

I would suggest doing the install yourself. The understanding of how everything goes together was very helpful for me.

You want a perfectly flat surface. That really helps the measurements and install. Reduces guessing.

You will need washers under the LP Tank tray. Take the tank tray off and take one of the bolts to the hardware store and buy a stack of washers. They are cheap. I needed 6 or 7 for each of the LP Tank Tray bolts (4 of them).

The hardest part was moving the boxes because they are heavy with multiple things inside. So I broke them down to make the parts lighter to lift. The heaviest is lifting the hitch onto the stinger. I am 6 feet tall, and 163 pounds. No brute. I could lift it myself. Two people would make it easy and for safety I would suggest that. But one guy can potentially do it by himself. Make sure if you do it by yourself you get that overlatch latched right away. In fact, even with a helper make sure you get the overlatch latched. Or the hitch will slide off the stinger. (it happened to a friend) I would also lube the stinger with some Triflow or whatever before you put the hitch on there. It will help detaching when the time is right.

I have a list of tools I used because I wanted one on the rig incase I had a problem. (If you want my list I can get it for you.)
The most specialized was the 250lb torque wrench.

The video provided by CMHM - Airstream Nuts and Bolts ProPride Installation is priceless and supplements the videos from ProPride nicely.

Usually Dealerships have a delivery driver that can deliver the trailer wherever you want. Usually for free. A place where you can work on the hitch. Someplace level.
My dealership did not have the zoning to stay on property for the night so I did not have that luxury. While I bought mine used there were a number of warranty issues getting fixed and I wanted to be sure everything was working. No such luck. I had to shake it down on trips over the past couple weeks.

I would not get too crazy about the hitch measurements. You can always change the stinger height if you don't feel it is quite right. That is the nice thing about PPP. That stinger is adjustable. So much depends on the squat of the rear end of the Tow Vehicle.

I also needed 3 or 4 extra links on my safety chains in addition to the connector link. I sourced from McMaster Carr. Hardware store might have what you need.

My 7 Pin Electrical Plug was long enough and needed no modification.

I wanted to be able to hitch and unhitch easily by myself. I purchased a detachable hitch camera from B&H Photo. Aqua-Vu iBall. My truck does not have a camera covering the hitch. It works great. And when I'm done I put it in the center console in the truck.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._wireless.html

I painted the stinger end and the Hitch front with white spray paint. Taped up first to get clean lines. It really helps me see things as I hitch and unhitch. Especially with the iBall camera setup. Sometimes the Black on Black is difficult to see in some light. Makes everything more visible and you can see everything coming together clearly.

Be confident that you made a great choice. I think you will enjoy it.
As others stated, no problems with Semi Truck passing either. Rock solid.

If you want more info feel free to Private Message me. I am happy to help.
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:11 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
North-Central , Florida
djbal: You noted "The challenge with this is the front compartment and the interference with the jacks. Brent sent me some special jacks to mitigate that."

Can you send a pic or describe how that problem with the front compartment on the 25FB was "mitigated"? Thanks.
djbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
djbal: You noted "The challenge with this is the front compartment and the interference with the jacks. Brent sent me some special jacks to mitigate that."

Can you send a pic or describe how that problem with the front compartment on the 25FB was "mitigated"? Thanks.

As of now, ProPride now includes Version 2 of the WD jack with all new purchases. You can also purchase them as an upgrade to any existing Version 1 jacks.

In this week's episode of ProPride TV, the guys went over this new product. I asked an online question about Airstream front locker access during the episode. At about 17:10, Wes Mishler (plant manager) demonstrates how the door can be fully opened with these new jacks!

I have a pair on order. I'll post back if I find they work like this for me.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote