Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Beachwood , Ohio
Propride: hitching and unhitching on an incline

I am still building my dream rig in my mind (6-12 months until purchase). Since Pullrite no longer makes their original hitch (which I had in the past and loved), I am seriously considering a Propride.

My drive is inclined, with a flatter pad at the top to back in the trailer. If I back in with a Propride the truck will be on the incline, and the trailer will be uphill, on a slightly lesser incline.

Never had a problem with the Pullrite, but I am worried about ease of hitching/unhitching with the Propride. From what I have read, stinger alignment seems to be a sticking point with these.

Anybody have experience to confirm or deny my concerns?

Thanks!

Enjoy,
David
dshiffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have been using a Propride for 7 years and can say " it depends". The question is how much of an angle. Alignment is crucial but easy. The WD jacks allow you to tilt the hitch head to match the stinger angle, but if the angle is too severe, you will have some problems. I cannot tell you what angle is the upper limit. It is a breeze on level ground. Sean at Propride is always responsive and can give you the best answer.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I park on an inclined driveway with the TV on a relatively flat street. The trick, as stated, is to adjust the WD jacks individually to match the angle of the stinger. Then you kick the head to the same angle as you are approaching with the stinger. Then you use the tongue Jack to match height as you approach carefully.

Once it’s all lined up, it is easy to hook up. I’ve done it at up to 90 degrees off to one side at a weird slope. It’s not hard once you practice a bit.

The GOAL (Get Out And Look) technique is the key to getting it right. A TV with a built-in backup camera and a bit of white paint on the top of the stinger and around the opening in the socket helps a lot.

Actually, I’ve had more issues hooking up flat and level when I get off a bit and bump the head with the stinger. Then it’s move the tow vehicle away, line it all up again, and try again. Toughest time I’ve had was when I couldn’t see the stinger or hitch in my backup camera because of sun glare and deep shadow behind the TV.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Rat's, I hate it when that happens...😲

13 Seasons with a PPP,(Hensley), never have had an incline induced hitching concern, impatience, YES....Not taking it slow & careful is the hard part.
In the JC Terraport recently, on a perfectly level site I was so confident it took over 15min, where, if I had followed my less cocky procedure I would have had it done in the normal 5min...and yes, I had an audience.🤪

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	968D3563-2A5A-48E9-9330-4E8D1E6AE7E8_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	385253  
Old 12-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I owned a Hensley...was difficult to hook up in unimproved camp grounds...especially when the pickup was leaning one way or another...and had to use blocks of wood to hook up...same at my shop...I went back to the Reese duel cam and never been happier....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First step: Measure the incline of the driveway.

Second step: Figure out the likely angle of the truck.

Without some numbers, there is no way to really come up with an answer. The worst case is one that has the trailer on an incline and the rear wheels of the truck in the gutter ...( so sloping the other way ... yuck ....).

Next: how big a trailer are you looking at? In general the longer the trailer, the less of an angle you can get to before something hits ground somewhere.

Lots of fun !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
I have a hensley. I would say if the angle is too severe or if your truck is very tall to begin with, it could be a PIA.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I've found when hitching up on non-level surfaces to make sure that the WD jacks are loose. Yes, I may start by using them to apply a lean to the head, BUT, if the stinger binds as it slides in, without pulling forward, I adjust the jacks again to free up any tension. Then I'll give the head a push with my foot, the stinger often slides farther in. My hitch head will adjust itself to the stinger if the WD jacks allow it. I also periodically spray the inside of the head with dry lube. Having a backup camera on my truck makes all this really easy.
Also, you don't have to completely seat the stinger, just get far enough to engage the over center latches. Tightening the latches pulls everything tight.
Similarly, to unhitch, get the WD bars loose and use the tongue jack to get the TV and trailer even. If there is a little bit of forward tension, when you get to the right height, a foot push on the hitch will cause a bit of separation. Once that happens, you can pull pull out without issue.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
That, and I always use some type of wheel binding chocks to prevent movement of the trailer.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
My hooking-up frustrations drastically improved when I started using lubricant on the ProPride stinger. I keep a can of white lithium in my trailer tool bag.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have had a ProPride for many years and it is a pain in the a-- to hook up if you are on an incline. So, what do I do - I do not park if there is an incline. I have complained at campgrounds to get a different location (explained to them why). I even had a separate pad put in for the Airstream because of the incline of my driveway. The ProPride is a great hitch if you are on level ground.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #12
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
ProPride or Hensley both require the stinger and hitch head to be at the same attitude before insertion, i.e., Yaw: left and right, Pitch: up and down, and roll or twist (raise or lower each side individually). The best way to do this is to secure a piece of material 2x2" and insert it in the hitch head. Then adjust the head as needed to get the desired results. I have gotten so good at it that with care I can back up my truck to the stinger and insert it into the receiver. However, it would sure help if the backup cameras were mounted in the exact center of the tail gate. It will be on my next truck.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I use the jacks for yaw and the tongue jack for pitch.
If the haha is level with the tongue, the jack can provide some up/down angle.
Adding the TV rear view/back-up camera has helped a lot.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
So I had a problem like this when I took my AS in for service. They detached the AS and pulled it in using a separate vehicle. When I tried to hook it back up I had a really difficult time lining the stinger up to get into the hitch because the entry to the garage had my front wheels on a downward slant. I finally did it, but it was a PITA.

I then decided that what I should have done is driven the front wheels up on levelers. I have something like the Anderson levelers that would have raised up the front end about 4 inches and leveled out the stinger. That would have done the trick. In other words use your levelers to level out the truck.

Now I’m not sure how steep your incline is. This may not work. The other thing to consider is disconnecting on the slant. Little more forgiveness there.

Another solution:
You can also get what is called a lot hitch to put on your Propride hitch. It allows you to use a regular hitch ball to move your trailer. You can’t go fast (5mph) but it can come in handy. I always have this along just in case. This would allow you to put the AS on a ball and slowly move it around. It doesn’t take long to install (5 minutes). That way you could maneuver the Airstream into your parking space and unhitch in the normal fashion, or you could move the Airstream out to where your truck would be level with the Airstream and then insert the stinger.

I have no idea what kind of slope you are working with. If it isn’t much then the leveler system might work. Otherwise the lot hitch would work. You can buy the lot hitch on the Propride web site. Frankly I recommend all Propride hitch users have this anyway.

If you were doing this on a campground you would need to bring a separate hitch along; which I do.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
When I say disconnecting on the slant, I’m talking about when your truck disconnects and it is on the slant and the trailer is level there could be an issue with the stinger coming out properly.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshiffman View Post

Never had a problem with the Pullrite, but I am worried about ease of hitching/unhitching with the Propride. From what I have read, stinger alignment seems to be a sticking point with these.

Anybody have experience to confirm or deny my concerns?

Every situation is different. Have had Hensley and Pro Pride for past 10 years. And yes there have been some challenging times on inclines, slants, and angles. Curse words flew, but eventually managed to work the hitch to re-hook. And that is how you learn. I no longer have concerns when boondocking in some of the most compromising spots. You will eventually learn. However, dropping on the ball can be a bit easier.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It's a lot easier to aim by sighting down the barrel than shooting from the hip

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4UCam-Por...edSellerId=916

Place on the stinger and hit the hole every time. Can also see when to get out and change tilt, height or yaw during insertion.
Makes all this discussion moot.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #18

Aliquippa , Pennsylvania
Just raise or lower the spring bar arms and the hitch will tilt accordingly and go right in!
PappyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I've found when hitching up on non-level surfaces to make sure that the WD jacks are loose.
Agree with this. We have a ProPride and I've found that trying to angle the hitch head to match the stinger using the jacks puts too much tension on the head. If you can angle it PERFECTLY, then I guess you're ok, but if you don't get it perfect there is too much tension for it to move a bit to adjust to the stinger. The problem is as you backup to the hitch, because of slope changes on the site, the attitude of the stinger and hitch head often tend to change, especially JUST as you bring the stinger into the hitch head.

We were at a campground at a Virginia State park. Our site was a pull through that sloped up coming in, was flatish at the top, then sloped down to the road on the way out. So when we went to hitch up, the truck and the stinger were at a downward angle to the hitch head. I spent probably half an hour trying over and over to adjust the jacks to get the angle of the hitch head just right. The stinger just wouldn't go in. Finally I brought the jacks all the way down just to try it. The angle was wrong, but what the heck, worth a try right? To my great surprise the stinger went in fine when the hitch head was free to move and adjust up and down to the stinger. Since then I've never tried to adjust the up and down pitch of the hitch head with the jacks again.

Another thing to do is clean and lube the stinger before you hitch up. A guy I met at Jackson Center recommended that and what a difference it makes! Before hitching up I wipe any dirt and grime off the stinger with a paper towel and then coat it with silicon grease. Makes hitching and unhitching much easier.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
At home our truck comes in at one angle, and it is tilted, and on uneven ground so the angles change as we back up, and in weird shadows the kills the camera. A real PITA for me. I have to get in and out of the truck many times.

But they say its worth it.

So I do it.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote