Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2022, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
ProPride for smaller Airstreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Pivot Point Projection...same mechanical design, slightly different execution.

My understanding of the story is that Jim Hensley patented and then licensed the 2nd iteration of his design to what became Hensley Mfg about 30 years ago which is what the Hensley is still based on. In the meantime, he continued to improve upon the design and eventually licensed the newer design to ProPride. ProPride has a list of improvements on their FAQ Page including improvements to the durability and longevity, no drill install, adjustability, and easier hitch up. I’m curious how much of that is good marketing to convince me I need something better than I really do. Although if I’m spending that much money, it may be worth getting the improved, will last longer, function easier, version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Warning...Airstream makes the smaller trailers only as 'BAIT', when you upgrade longer, the full size Hensley or PP can be removed & used.

Lol! We are far more likely to upgrade smaller than bigger. Though lots of people love to tell us why we should want bigger.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingcamera View Post
My understanding of the story is that Jim Hensley patented and then licensed the 2nd iteration of his design to what became Hensley Mfg about 30 years ago which is what the Hensley is still based on. In the meantime, he continued to improve upon the design and eventually licensed the newer design to ProPride. ProPride has a list of improvements on their FAQ Page including improvements to the durability and longevity, no drill install, adjustability, and easier hitch up. I’m curious how much of that is good marketing to convince me I need something better than I really do. Although if I’m spending that much money, it may be worth getting the improved, will last longer, function easier, version.

Lol! We are far more likely to upgrade smaller than bigger. Though lots of people love to tell us why we should want bigger.

Very true on the chance that the marketing may outstrip actual funk-tionality, but if Sean wants to send me a PP I'll be glad to test it against my ancient Haha Arrow.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
I’m curious what your thoughts are on the benefits of the newer designs of the ProPride over the Hensley. ProPride specifically compares itself to the Hensley Arrow, but I wonder if the comparison to the Cub is less accurate.
I'll Jump in. I've had both a HAHA and a PP.

1) No drilling into the frame with PP
2) I prefer the yoke design over the strut design. If the HAHA struts are not adjusted properly and kept that way, their pins will wallow out the head mounting holes.
3) The V2 PP jack design is improved over the HAHA. They have a locking wheel which allows for proper lubrication of the jack threads. mounting on the frame is a solid one, with a lower swing mechanism to allow for trailer/TV turning. Less mechanical pieces, which wear on the HAHA.
4) The mouth of the head is forged on the PP. The HAHA mouth deforms under WD pressure over time.
5) the spring bar retention method of the PP eliminates the less than robust pin system in the HAHA
6) PP has a tilt and height adjustable stinger.
7)The connecting plates on the crank arms are thicker than HAHA
8) The PP manufacturing process utilizes robotic welding in most all of the welds. This is what failed my HAHA....inadequate welds with inadequate penetration by the human welder.
9) The PP design of the head mouth/stinger interface is a bit geometrically different and is a bit easier for the the stinger to insert into the head while hitching.
10) If the ball ever needs to be replaced, it is a bolt on design. HAHA is welded on.

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
I have read where some have lubricated the jacks on the Hensley, this practice causes issues with the Hensley and is not advised per the Hensley manual.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:25 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
My experience only - F150 Blue Ox, Anderson Propride

DW selected a great used 27FBT rather than the 26U = higher tongue weight than planned. Went to Oregon to inspect and complete the purchase and arranged to ride with the contract tow guy from Gladstone to Tacoma where the TOTE ship would take the AS to Anchorage, AK. so I could get a feel for the towing experience on I5.

Interesting. Tow guy was chatty and helpful. I watched the set up and the adjustment of chain tension and "pitch" of AS from front to back as he walked around with a measuring tape checking the AS and the TV. I noticed something on the way North that was instructive: he quit chatting when the traffic got thick and/or included a number of large rigs. His grip on the wheel and his posture changed as well. I asked him about the changes in due time and he admitted to feeling some of the effects of passing traffic in the steering wheel and seat of the pants. His pants were more sensitive than mine, I guess, but he had a lot more experience.

When I picked up the AS at the Anchorage dock I was all set with wrenches and such required to dial-in the Anderson hitch. All measurements taken/confirmed and torque set - off I go to Wasilla. Stopped twice on the way home to dial in more torque on the chains as it appeared my own pants had acquired sensitivity. Control felt unsure and like the AS was "driving." The tight grip and erect posture I noticed in Tacoma had returned to haunt me. Took a few local trips and gave up on the Anderson - ordered a ProPride. Shipping to AK was killer, but I was a desperate man.

PP made a huge difference. Back to one-handed steering wheel grip on the open road again. The weight transference was effective using the 1400# bars recommended for the F150. Now that we tow with a F250, I have 600# bars.

Your circumstances are different in AS size and tongue weight. Just offering my experience for what it is worth.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
I have read where some have lubricated the jacks on the Hensley, this practice causes issues with the Hensley and is not advised per the Hensley manual.
Correct. Advantage PP. The problem with the HAHA is that there is no way (ok, some mcGyver ways) to lock the screw shaft in place. If you lube it, it "walks" the spring WD tension down.

The PP has a wheel with pin lock, comes packed with grease, and one can re-lube as necessary.

Here is what happens to the HAHA over time with no lube:

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	415962

Name:	jack10.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	415963

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Ok. So I'll muddy the water. I had a Blue Ox for my 28'. Horrible driving experience in traffic with the bow affect from trucks making driving absolutely miserable. I also have a friend that was having a miserable towing experience with the Blue Ox on his SOB.

I installed a PP and what an amazing difference. I don't notice trucks and I'm way more relaxed while towing in traffic. My friend installed his PP and had the same experience.

I personally do not like the Blue Ox sway pro. I still have it with 1000lb bars. Anybody want it?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
I personally do not like the Blue Ox sway pro. I still have it with 1000lb bars. Anybody want it?
That might be your problem. I picked up 1000-lb bars for my 23-foot. Are you certain that after loading, your tongue weight hasn't gone past 1000 lbs?

The Blue Ox worked great with our previous trailer, but it was sought and quite light compared to the FC 23. Out old trailer was around 3300 lbs, 19-feet long, and only 7-ft, 9-in tall and really heavy on the tongue (15% or so). The trailer we had before that was 15-feet, around 2000-lb and all we had was a sway bar, and we had much more sway with that than the 2nd trailer. Regardless, both are obviously much lighter than the FC23 we'll be getting.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Correct. Advantage PP. The problem with the HAHA is that there is no way (ok, some mcGyver ways) to lock the screw shaft in place. If you lube it, it "walks" the spring WD tension down.

The PP has a wheel with pin lock, comes packed with grease, and one can re-lube as necessary.

Here is what happens to the HAHA over time with no lube:

Attachment 415962

Attachment 415963

Not suppose to lube Hensley jacks.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Not suppose to lube Hensley jacks.
Exactly. We are saying the same thing. And they wear the threads as a result. PP can be cleaned and lubed...and are packed from the factory.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Hi all,

I asked this question within another thread and already got a reply from someone with a ProPride on their 22-footer, but thought I'd throw it out here for a larger response.

Do folks out there have/recommend the ProPride for smaller rigs?

My setup is going to be:
  • 2021 Ford F-150, 3.5 Ecoboost, crew cab, short bed, normal tow package (7050 GVWR, 1808 payload, probably will be within a few hundred pounds of that with a family of 4 and all our gear)
  • 2022 Airstream Flying Cloud 23 Corner Bunk Bed (formerly called the 23D)

Is the ProPride overkill for our setup, or will it be worth the extra safety it provides? Spending money on prevent an accident to me is even more valuable than the insurance I carry.

Fastway E2 will get it done.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Exactly. We are saying the same thing. And they wear the threads as a result. PP can be cleaned and lubed...and are packed from the factory.

You’re the expert [emoji846]
Old 05-13-2022, 03:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
You’re the expert [emoji846]
Expert? I've owned both and have experience with both, so if that is the sole qualification for "expert".. I guess so?

Old 05-13-2022, 03:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
That might be your problem. I picked up 1000-lb bars for my 23-foot. Are you certain that after loading, your tongue weight hasn't gone past 1000 lbs?

The Blue Ox worked great with our previous trailer, but it was sought and quite light compared to the FC 23. Out old trailer was around 3300 lbs, 19-feet long, and only 7-ft, 9-in tall and really heavy on the tongue (15% or so). The trailer we had before that was 15-feet, around 2000-lb and all we had was a sway bar, and we had much more sway with that than the 2nd trailer. Regardless, both are obviously much lighter than the FC23 we'll be getting.
The dealer installed it. I had no problem leveling the truck and trailer. And my tongue weight actually doesn't go up after loading because I have a rear bedroom and most of the storage is at the back of the trailer.

And my friend who tried the Blue Ox had a smaller and lighter trailer. He tried my Blue Ox and didn't like it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with a Hensley Arrow in 2012 for the 2013 25FB International Serenity. Traded the 25FB in on a 2014 31' Classic. Kept the Hensley but installed the ProPride on the Classic.

We purchased a 2015 23D International Serenity. I brought a set of 15" Michelins on 15" SenDel five lug wheels to the selling dealer. That raised the 23D to the same elevation as the 25FB. We used the same hitch settings on the 23D as on the 25FB.

Ordered new 3,600 pound axles with 12" dual puck disc brakes with six lugs and the factory 3" lift kit for the 23D. Got new 6 lug SenDel wheels and continued with 15" Michelins. Replaced the Hensley Arrow with a new PPP with new design lift jacks.

Retrofitted new design PPP lift jacks on the Classic and put a new PPP head on when we put new 5,200 pound axles with the 12" dual puck disc brakes and 3" lift kit on the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
The dealer installed it. I had no problem leveling the truck and trailer. And my tongue weight actually doesn't go up after loading because I have a rear bedroom and most of the storage is at the back of the trailer.

And my friend who tried the Blue Ox had a smaller and lighter trailer. He tried my Blue Ox and didn't like it.

You can still level the trailer with lighter bars. The heavier bars are thicker, therefore stiffer, so will behave differently than a similarly leveled trailer with lighter bars. But I can only assume your dealer knew what they were doing with the bars they chose.

We meanwhile loved the Blue Ox with our last trailer. It was extremely stable and we never experienced sway, never “white knuckle” drove. I would at first brace when semis went by, but never felt anything; we remained solid the whole time. But again, much smaller, stouter, and lighter trailer, so recognize our new setup will be totally different.
Old 05-13-2022, 08:55 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Not advised...MacGyver fixed ours. Brake bleeder fitting fits right into the allen head set-screw on the jack shaft.

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	36874C28-559F-42B8-AADE-FCA797C79532_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	415971   Click image for larger version

Name:	093E5846-346C-4B89-A561-B8AB4876E482.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	415972  

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
ProPride for smaller Airstreams

For you, Bob…

Name:	IMG_0623.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	415976
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:34 AM   #39
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
I have a Propride, but Hensley makes a Hensley Cub for smaller trailers.
I have the Hensley Cub on our 1960 Avion T20 which is great - no matter how many times a year for how long or how far we go.

If your trailer is under 6000 lbs & 600 lbs HW, then the Cub is significantly less money than the Hensley Arrow or PP - but with all of the same benefits & features, along with a somewhat lighter hitch-head unit & tow bars/stingers.

I'd suggest paying the bit more for the crank up jacks to adjust the torsion bars, unless you like punishing yourself lifting chains & figuring half-links, etc.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 03:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
If your trailer is under 6000 lbs & 600 lbs HW, then the Cub is significantly less money than the Hensley Arrow or PP - but with all of the same benefits & features, along with a somewhat lighter hitch-head unit & tow bars/stingers.

Yeah, I hadn’t keyed into the 600-lb tongue limit. Of course the 23CBB is too tongue heavy for the cub. Even the 23 FB would probably pass that limit after loaded. That’s okay, the advancements on the ProPride are so significant I was leaning that way already anyway.