Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Ann arbor , Michigan
Parkit360 / Electric dolly for tight spaces?

anyone think there's any utility or for one of these to help with backing up into a tight space?
Jimbob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Several folks have posted here expressing satisfaction with their parking dolly. There is a couple of different brands that folks here have used.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
So am I correct in understanding from your title that you are considering hauling one around to help you back into a campsite? If that's the case, I'm sure it would work, but dang, those things are heavy and difficult horse around. You may be better served if you just take your time and practice backing up.

I keep a Trailer Valet XL at my house to finish putting the trailer in it's place on the parking pad, but even that is heavier than I would want to take on a trip with me, plus every park I've ever been to has more room to maneuver than my driveway.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I’ve got a 30’ pulled by a MegaCab Ram 2500 - a very long combo. Some state parks can be pretty tight, especially if the guy across the street is hanging out in the road some. But take your time, practice in a parking lot with cones if needed, use a spotter, and don’t hesitate to ask people to move their vehicles if they are blocking the road.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
On a long tow vehicle another trick is to add a front receiver. It means unhooking and turning the truck around but you will be able to park in much smaller sites, much easier as well.

We usually remove the passenger side tow hook and mount it there. This lets you turn very sharp to the right and see down one side of The Airstream.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
I'll second what Andrew recommends, I've done this with each truck, I've installed myself total cost about $150 each and an hour or so if time. Well worth it and so much easier than trying to haul one of the dollies around.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Ann arbor , Michigan
thanks for everyone's experiences. sounds like not really necessary. i'll consider the front hitch. seems like a good idea.
Jimbob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
[QUOTE=Andrew T;2049315]On a long tow vehicle another trick is to add a front receiver. It means unhooking and turning the truck around but you will be able to park in much smaller sites, much easier as well.

isn't this a little heavy for the front suspension? I installed a 2" receiver on our Tundra for a bike rack, but never used it for maneuvering the trailer. At 650 to almost 1K it seems like it could really compress the front springs. I assume you do not use the WD when this is done.

Maybe its ok on a heavier truck set up with heavy duty front suspension for a snow plow,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Here is another option I have posted about previously. I plan to try these out.

http://www.purplelineusa.com/product...iler-mover.php

They also recommend and sell a heavy duty dual caster wheel for the tongue jack post.

I do not own one yet, but will need a system like this to store our future trailer at home.

Link to original thread that has another similar option as well.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/show....php?p=2041582
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I'll second what Andrew recommends, I've done this with each truck, I've installed myself total cost about $150 each and an hour or so if time. Well worth it and so much easier than trying to haul one of the dollies around.

I'll chime in. I'd be very skeptical about using a front hitch to spot my rig.

I'd have to park, unhook, turn the truck around and then start pushing it in. Even if I did that odds are I'd have a lineup of p/o'd rigs behind me.

But here is my biggest concern, tongue weight. Mine is 1000#++ and don't think those cool springs would be too happy but bigger still is taking weight off of my 2WD rear tires in an already precarious situation.

I've seen many post success and this is one where my mileage varies from those.

I just did a state park back in, tight, from a turn around, on gravel and a 7 degree uphill approach. Covered with leaves all over.

My challenge was seeing where to back into even with backup camera. Remember it was all leaves.

Decided next time to put out my highway triangles as targets in the site.

Good luck.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
parkit360 / electric dolly to help with tight state parks?

We received our Parkit360 yesterday. We have to make a 90 degree turn into our RV garage at the house which does not allow space for the TV when making the turn.

We have a 2018 27FB TB. We ordered the Parkit360 B3 package.

They also sent along a 24 inch ball mount which allows the larger tires to clear the jack post when the foot is removed. Without removing the foot and without the additional clearance we would have had issues turning the 90 degrees.

One thing to keep in mind is that turning this thing when hooked up is not simple. You do have to man handle it a bit but it is very doable. I was able to hit the mark on the first try.

We also used the AS batteries via supplied cable to power the Parkit360. Batteries did go from full charge to about 80 while using it. Since I was getting to know the mover I probably took longer than my normal will be.

The only other issue I had was the length of my RV garage. The AS will fit with about 5 inches to spare. I was home alone without adult supervision at the time I was parking the AS the first time. I was on able to see the rear of the trailer when backing it into the garage so I simply used Facetime between my well-placed iPhone and iPad to see when I needed to stop. This worked great and I stopped within 1 inch of the back wall!

We are very happy with the Parkit360 and extremely happy that we have our AS at home in our own garage!

I can certainly see that this would help with tight state park issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6122.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	317543
Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not sure it is legal to use a trailer dolly on public lands/roads -- only on private property? In state parks [original topic of this old 2017 thread], I doubt it is acceptable. All the motor vehicle laws about towing would forbid it IMO.

There are lots other threads about trailer dollies in general:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...=airforums.com

. . . and Parkit:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Park...=airforums.com

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
We received our Parkit360 yesterday. We have to make a 90 degree turn into our RV garage at the house which does not allow space for the TV when making the turn.

We have a 2018 27FB TB. We ordered the Parkit360 B3 package.

They also sent along a 24 inch ball mount which allows the larger tires to clear the jack post when the foot is removed. Without removing the foot and without the additional clearance we would have had issues turning the 90 degrees.

One thing to keep in mind is that turning this thing when hooked up is not simple. You do have to man handle it a bit but it is very doable. I was able to hit the mark on the first try.

We also used the AS batteries via supplied cable to power the Parkit360. Batteries did go from full charge to about 80 while using it. Since I was getting to know the mover I probably took longer than my normal will be.

The only other issue I had was the length of my RV garage. The AS will fit with about 5 inches to spare. I was home alone without adult supervision at the time I was parking the AS the first time. I was on able to see the rear of the trailer when backing it into the garage so I simply used face time between my well-placed iPhone and iPad to judge when I needed to stop. This worked great and I stopped within 1 inch of the back wall!

We are very happy with the Parkit360 and extremely happy that we have our AS at home in our own garage!

I can certainly see that this would help with tight state park issues.

Attachment 317543

Put a length of 4X4 post behind your rear wheels as a tire-stop for next time. Just back up until you touch the board.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
Put a length of 4X4 post behind your rear wheels as a tire-stop for next time. Just back up until you touch the board.

brick

Great idea. I had quite a lot of fun with the FaceTime approach as well!

The DW was quite surprised to see the AS in the garage when she came home. Her jaw actually dropped!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We were at the KOA in Pigeon Forge TN a few weeks ago. Saw some of the most impressive back - up’s ever in a tight park. I though a few were impossible, but all made it into their site.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i had issues with the parkit360 wheels hitting the post even with the foot off

the told me to remove the foot and remove the parkit ball

then insert the lift post into the parkit hole

now i have 190 degree turning.
yes, it does need man handling, but it gets the job done
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
i had issues with the parkit360 wheels hitting the post even with the foot off

the told me to remove the foot and remove the parkit ball

then insert the lift post into the parkit hole

now i have 190 degree turning.

yes, it does need man handling, but it gets the job done

I recall you mentioning that in a previous post.

I used the 24 inch ball post without issue. I was a bit worried about putting a lot of sideways force on the jack post.

What length is your Parkit360 ball post?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #18
Dino & Mike

Currently Looking...
Northridge , California
Is that the "Force 10k B" you purchased? I think that is the one without the battery and hooks up to your own?

I am going to have to buy the 5k this summer before I buy my 19' FC so I can back it in to my side yard when I bring it home; just thought of that...

Congrats, the TB looks great at home.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream-Style View Post
Is that the "Force 10k B" you purchased?
Thanks!

Specifically we purchased the "Force 10K B3 Without Telescopic". It does use the AS batteries, but strange enough came with the battery box, I just don't use it.
UncleBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If need be you can quickly disconnect the trailer and reposition the tow vehicle.I have done this in a tight RV Park with our 28ft But never in a state or national park.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote