Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Old Reese hitch

We were able to use this old Reese hitch to get our unit home....just bought 73 safari....but we don't quite grasp what this bar pictured is for. The seller never used the unit and wasn't any help. Do we need to use this item and is it supposed to be tightened or flow loose and lubricated? There is a screw handle.

I looked up as much as I could on the net but not knowing what it's called makes it hard.

It's the long flat thing with the label on it.
Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	195927  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Without a picture, it's hard to say, but I think you are describing a friction sway control, and if so, it needs to be used, unlubricated, and tightened about as tight as you can get it with your hand.

A picture would be good.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
That is a friction sway control. Here is a link to several of them.
etrailer.com - Products sway control
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Friction sway control, as noted above. Very simple device. You tighten it with the handle about as tight as you can get with one hand. You generally will need to go through the loosen/tighten series every time you unhook the trailer as even a minor change of angle will prevent fitting the end of the device down on the ball. It is old technology but it works. No lubrication, ever ! But a touch of grease on the two mounting balls is not a bad idea.

On another note, it looks like your safety chains are a mite short -- do they come tight on a hard turn? Mine droop down within 3 inches of the ground...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Thanks for the ideas. Do we have new chains welded on? Who would do that? A metal shop? It seemed to feel ok for just the drive home. We are getting new tires and our tire guy will give up pointers about what we can do to this arrangement.
Steve....I had to edit to get the pix attached. I will catch on.
So this bar won't stand in the way of turning angle between the truck and unit? I also read about adding air to back truck tires. Do most folks do that.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I had work done on my AS this week. The dealer gentleman hitched me up. I was not paying attention, he put my sway bar on so tight I could not turn the trailer without this horrible grinding resistance. That noise and feeling was new to me, I even stopped twice on the way home because I could not figure out what was wrong. It was when I stopped to remove the bar before backing down my driveway did I realize what had happen. Point of story, do not tighten friction sway bar too tight ever and remove when backing up. Thank goodness I had very few tight turns going home.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

Do NOT lube the long flat bar. It is a friction device to "dampen" sway of the trailer. You tighten the same amount when you hitch up. If you go to EAZ-LIFT website you will see one. You can download the owners instructions too.
Same for the hitch and WD bars...find instructions.

Longer chains... Welding can compromise the link strength.

It is better to use a clevis connector. Go here
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search "chain fitting". Look for lifting shackle or clevis. They look like the letter U with a pin in the open end to close it. You can then secure pin with a bit of good wire so it doesn't fall out.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
I'm thinking this thing is for highways and not between here and the tire store. We will save it for that. We will get the proper chain and connectors today....thanks
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
By the pics. look the stinger that plugs into tow veh. is dangerously low to ground, it is simple job to unbolt head turn stinger over then rebolt head at proper hgt. They were made to do this. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Interesting fact: The bar you spin to tighten the friction sway is really an "on-off" control. The actual adjustment of the sway control amount is handled by a separate bolt. To tighten it up, you actually are supposed to tighten the bolt, NOT simply rotate the handle more. Tightening or loosening the bolt probably will change the handle rotation, too, though.

Also, I back up with ours installed all the time. The only times I've removed it is when we're backing at a severe angle, but even then I've never noticed a difference; it's more to ensure I don't accidentally separate the two halves of the sway control.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
We thought that thing was too low and we need to adjust it. Thanks