Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hi moose,
Well over the past 9months i have checked out just about all of the pop-up campers. The alaskan is the best,a classic, like the airstream of campers. For more info check out their website alaskancampers.com.
I haven't purchased it yet, going to order it in Jan (takes 2 months to build) as i don't need it until April. They are the only pop-up that i know of ,that
has a solid upper part (not canvas) and raises hydralically.Great for Bear country. I stopped by the manufacturer last Oct ( they really do not have any dealers) on my way back from fishing BC and talked to the owner for about 2 hours about my special requirements - no problem each one is really custom made. They should be as they start at 25 grand, about $10,000 more than other pop-ups.
Essentially i will do the same as you, drop trailer as base camp then head to isolated lakes with camper and fish (couldn't do that with my 5th wheel,that i just sold). I fish out of a 12 foot porta-boat which i can then leave assembled as it weighs only 100 lbs and easily put it on top of the camper in the down position. I use to place my boat folded up on the side of my larger overhead camper (that i just sold)alongside the jacks but had to break/set it up everytime i shifted camps . Saving 30 min of setup/breakdown time every time i shift camp will be perfect with the alaskan. Best of both worlds !!
I'll post pictures of rig setup when i head out this spring.
fred
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Darn, this advertising website took over, so google alaskan pop up campers, that will work.
fred
Old 12-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hi everyone,
thanks for reply's
My F350 is not a dually, and i will have around a 1700 lb pop up camper almost all the time when i tow the airstream. The camper (roughly the same weight as my last one) really dampens the stiffness and that setup rides quite smooth with it on vrs not on (very stiff). Not really sure what adding the airstream will do but stiffness based on the added camper may not be an issue ?.
I checked out Reese and Equilizer websites (like the video presentation on Equilizers) ,now i at least understand the concept of WD and Sway.
I like the comment by Dwight that the reese bars will bend (flex)more easily than the Equilizer which makes sense as the equilizer's bars are square. Sure don't want rivets to fail as Dwight mentioned on his rig so now i see the downside of these hitches.
I'll be doin alot of driving on gravel roads (about all they have in BC) and potholes are always an issue (especially the ones you don't see), so i better really consider this factor.
Equilizer looks easier to adjust and set up, but i'm not sure
Maybe i should contact some tech guys at mfgr's or dealers, i dunno. Thanks Airstreamer67, I'll check out the Airsafe hitch site
fred
Old 12-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the info, Fred. You were close on the website, it's alaskancamper.com. We also plan to visit the Alaskan Factory on our next trip to the Northwest. We would want to carry our 15' tandum kayak on the roof of the Alaskan. The yak weighs 70#.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfred
Hi moose,
Well over the past 9months i have checked out just about all of the pop-up campers. The alaskan is the best,a classic, like the airstream of campers. For more info check out their website alaskancampers.com.
I haven't purchased it yet, going to order it in Jan (takes 2 months to build) as i don't need it until April. They are the only pop-up that i know of ,that
has a solid upper part (not canvas) and raises hydralically.Great for Bear country. I stopped by the manufacturer last Oct ( they really do not have any dealers) on my way back from fishing BC and talked to the owner for about 2 hours about my special requirements - no problem each one is really custom made. They should be as they start at 25 grand, about $10,000 more than other pop-ups.
Essentially i will do the same as you, drop trailer as base camp then head to isolated lakes with camper and fish (couldn't do that with my 5th wheel,that i just sold). I fish out of a 12 foot porta-boat which i can then leave assembled as it weighs only 100 lbs and easily put it on top of the camper in the down position. I use to place my boat folded up on the side of my larger overhead camper (that i just sold)alongside the jacks but had to break/set it up everytime i shifted camps . Saving 30 min of setup/breakdown time every time i shift camp will be perfect with the alaskan. Best of both worlds !!
I'll post pictures of rig setup when i head out this spring.
fred
Hey Fred, you sure are asking all the RIGHT questions up front...way to go! Sounds like you've got a great plan with the AS and Alaskan...you'll be enjoying the backwoods in style and comfort.
We got a porta-bote last year...aren't they the coolest? We still take the kayaks 50% of the time, but some of the bigger lakes up North are perfect for the porta-bote and small outboard. What a great product. Best toy we have purchased since the AS!
Please be sure to stick around and post some pix when you get out there next spring!

Welcome aboard,
Bill
Old 12-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
In my continuing pursuit for the perfect hitch setup once again i am shaking my head in confusion. This is really becoming quite comical !!!
I contacted California Hitches who does ONLY HITCHES. They told me that the hitch system i will need has nothing to do with the tow vehicle suspension system, only the trailer tounge weight. They recommend a 1,000# round bar with chain setup (draw tite)and 1 sway control. No reese with dual cams,equilizer, or Hensley, They are old school !!!!!
Help !!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Oh,also Andy told me over in the biclcle rack thread) that i needed only a light setup (reese dual cam 550 pound rating) as my TV suspension system was so heavy duty. So the confusing saga continues. At least i only have to go through about 2 more weeks of confusion before i must finally decide, when i go to pick up my rig.
Fred
Old 12-26-2007, 06:17 PM   #28
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
In my continuing pursuit for the perfect hitch setup once again i am shaking my head in confusion. This is really becoming quite comical !!!
I contacted California Hitches who does ONLY HITCHES. They told me that the hitch system i will need has nothing to do with the tow vehicle suspension system, only the trailer tounge weight. They recommend a 1,000# round bar with chain setup (draw tite)and 1 sway control. No reese with dual cams,equilizer, or Hensley, They are old school !!!!!
Help !!!!!!!!

FlyFishFred, what you were told is FALSE. One of the factors in your weight distribution IS the tow vehicle suspension. They must have misunderstood something because any hitch professional would know this. It would be interesting to ask them what kind of weight distribution they would recommend for a Freightliner? If they tell you none, you'll know that one of the factors most definitely is the tow vehicle suspension.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Well i just got back from final pickup delivery of my AS from the dealer in Ramona,Ca. The service manager recommended that a 1,000 lb equilizer be installed on my AS in lieu of (my choice) the reese w/d & dual cam. As i have read many good reports on both hitches, he didn't have to twist my arm much !!!! Their was a very small dent in my AS that i complained about so he gave me all the hitchwork at his cost, which included reciever hitch,shank,ball and EQ hitch, so i left there very happy.
The drive from San Diego,Ca to Reno,NV was beautiful and the hitch worked perfectly. During two lane highway sections when trucks went by me at 60mph and me moving at 63mph = 123mph wind i could not even tell if a truck had passed by. Now i didn't have my camper on yet but with the low profile of a new popup one vrs my old big overhead one i really don't think their will be any difference, we shall see.
When i travel on gravel roads, the dealer hitch installer tech told me to just leave the bars off the hitch. So I'll try it both ways to see the difference.
Fred
Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #30
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Well i just got back from final pickup delivery of my AS from the dealer in Ramona,Ca. The service manager recommended that a 1,000 lb equilizer be installed on my AS in lieu of (my choice) the reese w/d & dual cam. As i have read many good reports on both hitches, he didn't have to twist my arm much !!!! Their was a very small dent in my AS that i complained about so he gave me all the hitchwork at his cost, which included reciever hitch,shank,ball and EQ hitch, so i left there very happy.
The drive from San Diego,Ca to Reno,NV was beautiful and the hitch worked perfectly. During two lane highway sections when trucks went by me at 60mph and me moving at 63mph = 123mph wind i could not even tell if a truck had passed by. Now i didn't have my camper on yet but with the low profile of a new popup one vrs my old big overhead one i really don't think their will be any difference, we shall see.
When i travel on gravel roads, the dealer hitch installer tech told me to just leave the bars off the hitch. So I'll try it both ways to see the difference.
Fred
Congrats Fred!
Many of us are pleased with the Equalizer hitch...
Post pics when you get your whole setup together.

Bill