Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
smithfield , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
If you are using a weight distributing hitch and not lifting the TV/Trailer combination when loading the WD system you need to read up on how to set up a WD system. Unless you are very strong you can not pull the bars up without raising the system higher than you discribe.
The way that I do it is after I back into the coupler and it latches, before I raise the Jack, my WD has a hook on each side of the camper that you place the chain that is on the end of the bars unto the hooks and then you use a pipe that fits over another part of it (about 2' long) and leverage the hook upward where it cams over and stays and then put in a retaining pin that holds it. You do that on each side. It seems to raise the front of the camper a little when you do this

When you raise the jack, everything stays level and tows sweet. I do not have a sway bar system.
Morgan Fletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Anti-sway is critical with travel trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Fletc
... I do not have a sway bar system.
I think you should.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Good one Tom -- karma your way. Even old-old-old friction antisway is better than this.

It's amazing how suddenly the driver can give up their role and let the trailer do the steering.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
When you raise the jack, everything stays level and tows sweet. I do not have a sway bar system.
After you install your anti sway. With the TV and trailer just ready to hitch up and on level surface. measure the height of the front and rear fenders of the truck. Now hitch up and remeasure the fenders. If the front fender doesn't drop about 1/3 of the drop of the rear fender you have some additional adjusting on the WD system to do. The purpose of the WD system is to put some additional weight on the front of the truck and on the trailer axles. This additional weight helps to reduce sway. The most important factor is not to have the front fender of the truck rise after hitching up.

Yes you have a relatively heavy TV but I assume you say the video, the mower weighted a lot less than your trailer. You don't often get a second chance.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
After you install your anti sway. With the TV and trailer just ready to hitch up and on level surface. measure the height of the front and rear fenders of the truck. Now hitch up and remeasure the fenders. If the front fender doesn't drop about 1/3 of the drop of the rear fender you have some additional adjusting on the WD system to do. The purpose of the WD system is to put some additional weight on the front of the truck and on the trailer axles. This additional weight helps to reduce sway. The most important factor is not to have the front fender of the truck rise after hitching up.

Yes you have a relatively heavy TV but I assume you say the video, the mower weighted a lot less than your trailer. You don't often get a second chance.
Not exactly sure what video you are talking about. Look all I did was come in here to find a way to polish my camper from a search engine. After I found it, I decided to share about the coupler I bought. Not a towing lesson. I own 7 trailers from a 5x10 utility to a 7x24 Brame equipment trailer. I have utility trailers, boat trailers ,horses trailers ( 16' Featherlite tag along and a 24' Gore gooseneck and a camper. I have been towing for over 30 years, over 3000 miles a year, sometimes more without a accident. I did have a trailer come loose before because the coupler was worn out. In case you don't know, the only way to tell if a regular coupler is worn out is when it comes off. Mine had a stretched nose I knew nothing about. You could be next. I tow for mission work on weekends. I even towed a recuse vehicle through a hurricane because they felt I was the man for the job. I love the outdoors. If you really want to be stable, buy a fith wheel camper. I bought this Airstream because it was a great deal and a great camper. I plan to put one of these couplers on every tag-along that I own. Not just because it's easy, but to be safe. Did you see the accidents involving miscouples on Quickbite's website. I do not want to be one.

I do not have a sway bar because when I bought the camper, it didn't have one. I thought of adding one but never felt unsafe. I have the air ride system on my truck so it is very stable. If you are not using this sytem, you need to surely consider it. I mention that not to defend the air ride system. Just saying that I have one. So if you want to attack it,attack it from experience. Never owned one,then you shouldn't give advise.

I mentioned this coupler to help someone out, just like this site helped me to polish my camper. I own one and love it. If you don't own one, then you know nothing about it. Quit giving your opinion on a movie that you never saw. I do appreciate the one feedback from the gentleman that had one similar for pulling his tractor. Seems he liked his too. If you had one , I bet you would love it too.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:53 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I think you should.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I'm sure you are right. You can never be to safe. Especially if you are caught in a bad situation and have to respond quickly. A swaying trailer could get very scary.

Just like in my situation. I believe that everybody should use one of these safer couplers.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Howie
I checked out your kayak, Looks really nice. Looks like you put a lot of hard work into it. You have some serious talents there.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Good one Tom -- karma your way. Even old-old-old friction antisway is better than this.

It's amazing how suddenly the driver can give up their role and let the trailer do the steering.
In watching this video, note that after the truck sways to avoid the other vehicles, the mower moves to the rear of the trailer. No tounge weight what so ever. Anyone knows that with no tounge weight even with an antisway you don't have a chance. Don't believe me try it. It is why Uhaul has so many problems with accidents. Customers load the trailers wrong. Next time before they steal a truck, they should make sure that it is loaded properly. That is why goosenecks and 5th wheels are so stable. Not much of a way to load them wrong and even if you do, your connection is centered over the wheels.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #29
Trailerite

1971 23' Safari
Riverton , Missouri
Has your friend had any luck with the photos? We'd like to see photos of it installed on your Airstream. Visual aids are great.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Not exactly sure what video you are talking about.
The video was mentioned in CaneoStreams post and can be seen at

This video shows quite clearly what happens once a rig goes into sway.

Sorry you question some of our comments. Most of the members that post to a tread are doing so with good intentions. The limiting factor is we only have what is contained in the original tread and a members signature to work with. If we see something that warrants a construtive comment it will be posted with good intentions. If we can solve one problem before it happens that is our satisfaction.

Thanks for the comments on the kayak.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkytheKid
Has your friend had any luck with the photos? We'd like to see photos of it installed on your Airstream. Visual aids are great.
I am working on it. The camper is not at my house. It is set up right now on some land that I own in the mountains. We took it up Easter and left it. I will not have an opportunity to get up there until May 16 weekend to do some spring cleaning on the land and will not bring it home until before the 4th of July holidays to take it to the lake. I plan to borrow his camara in May and then he can download the pictures for me.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
The video was mentioned in CaneoStreams post and can be seen at

This video shows quite clearly what happens once a rig goes into sway.

Sorry you question some of our comments. Most of the members that post to a tread are doing so with good intentions. The limiting factor is we only have what is contained in the original tread and a members signature to work with. If we see something that warrants a construtive comment it will be posted with good intentions. If we can solve one problem before it happens that is our satisfaction.

Thanks for the comments on the kayak.
Sorry, to be so direct but I did feel like I was under attack. This is my first forum and probably my last. Not because of the comments, but because I really don't have this kind of time. I did see the video but I don't plan to be in any high speed chases and If I do I'll make sure the trailer has some tongue weight.
I almost had a bad experience one time as a very young man where I loaded a forklift toward the back of a trailer and didn't get far before it was all over the road. Hit the brakes and it got worse. I called the company and they advised me how to reload the trailer and no more problems. I have probably learned more from my own mistakes about towing than anywhere else.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You should stick around

Quote:
...Just like in my situation. I believe that everybody should use one of these safer couplers.
I do not consider the coupler you linked to as safer. Some may consider it more convenient, but I do not.

This forum embraces new members because everyone brings different experiences to the table.

I, personally, embraced your first post as a vendor wanting to sell his/her product simply because that is the way the post sounded.

If you are indeed a fellow Airstream owner, I encourage you to frequent this forum with the ups & downs of owning a 1999 28' Excella and quit justifying your choice of couplers.

If you are a vendor for this particular coupler, just say so; I am confident that many people would like to followup.

If nothing else, quit telling us how much smarter your service people are than you.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I do not consider the coupler you linked to as safer. Some may consider it more convenient, but I do not.

This forum embraces new members because everyone brings different experiences to the table.

I, personally, embraced your first post as a vendor wanting to sell his/her product simply because that is the way the post sounded.

If you are indeed a fellow Airstream owner, I encourage you to frequent this forum with the ups & downs of owning a 1999 28' Excella and quit justifying your choice of couplers.

If you are a vendor for this particular coupler, just say so; I am confident that many people would like to followup.

If nothing else, quit telling us how much smarter your service people are than you.

Tom
Tom, just like everyone you have a right to your opinion. You also obviously have a suspicious mind. I have went back and read my first post and how someone can see that post as a vendor I don't know. I guess I just give people more credit. But don't worry. I had someone else ask me the same question in a private message. I wonder if they have an opening for a salesman? NAH ! I wouldn't make a good salesman. People tell me I'm to honest and direct.

Although when I found the post for the aluminum cleaner (how I got here in the first place), The Nuvite and the Nu-finish, I didn't realize those guys were vendors. I did find something that works really good that a friend told me about at Lowes and it does work really well I haven't been able to use it on the Airstream yet, but I did test it on some aluminum wheels that had clear coat on them. I was going to post it, but no way now. Then I'll be a polish salesman.

If I am indeed a fellow Airstream owner ( I went back and found your earlier post. I was dumb enough to believe that you wanted to see a picture of the set up ) Turns out you were just doing some detective work. Who is the real wolf in sheeps clothing here. I guess that is why you suspect others. It is obviously in your nature

I don't have a clue what you are talking about , my service people. What service people? Smarter how. I did not even know that I was justifying my choice of couplers. I thought I was just responding to peoples concerns and giving an honest opinion. It is funny how people sometime view things as If they were doing it. I'm just the kind of person that if I get excited about something, I tell it and if you have been towing as long as I have, this product is something to get excited about.

What about Air ride and swaybarless weight dist. I guess you think I sell them too. You are probablly one of those people that think if you don't have, it can't be any good. I bet if I checked out some of your old post, this isn't your first time putting someone down. NAH !, you aren't worth the time.

I guess you are just to smart for me.Thank you to the kind people that I met here and the advice I received. This will be my last post as this group is not for me. I found out what I wanted to know, so I will leave you people alone. No offense to anyone but I can see by the number of this guys post he is here for the long haul.

It's OK if I keep the Airstream isn't it. You really want to get sick, Tom. I picked it up at an estate auction for less than $10,000. I have been told that I can easily double my money. Problem is like the camper.

Good luck to all you kind people here and even best wishes to the kind that are not so kind. God forgives you and so do I.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Morgan,

Please don't judge the forum by a few sour grapes. Personally I found your posts informative and am glad you posted. Some people had valid concerns and you answered them appropriately. Certain others just like to look for something wrong and respond accordingly. When that happens I just ignore them. Thats one of the nice things about the internet, you can ignore what you don't like and respond to what you do like. I was rather baffled by certain responses to your posts as I saw nothing in them like the poster did. At least that shows that some of us can read and comprehend......

I like the hitch coupler idea and given the right circumstance in the future would not shy away from using it.

I for one hope you don't disappear into the wood work and look forward to more posts from you.

Just remember not everyone on the forum is a sour grape .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Morgan, there have been many times when a new member arrives, posts about how great something is, and they just found it, they use it, etc, etc. This is fine until everyone realizes the person really is working for the vendor, and it's just a more involved form of spam.
It's no fun getting "sucked in", and that is why many people are leary of first posts with unknown, or untried, products. That's what it seems you have been experiencing, and since this is your first forum participation, you didn't know this could happen.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #37
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
FYI-Just put one of these couplers on my 99 Excella. I got it from JC Whitney and had local trailer shop install it.
I am already suspicious. I have yet to see quality come out of JC Whitney.

Quote:
My old one kept getting hung. I was looking for a replacement when I ran across the Quickbite. It is just so awesome. It has rods built into it that line you up and all you have to do is just back into it and it's hooked. My wife is so glad she doesn't have to help me anymore, me too . It appears to be very well built and has a lifetime guarantee and it's super safe. They have a website at QuickBiteCouplers.com / New Revolutionary Trailer Coupler makes Trailer Towing Safe, Secure, Easier .
Safer? How. Convienent yes. My standard coupler engulfs the ball when the latch is lowered. The quickbite does not appear to do this?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Morgan,
I can understand your frustration.
I have followed this thread, and was frankly impressed at how calmly you seemed to handle some of the replies you got. There are times here when I start to let someone get under my skin, and I try to remember that it isn't worth me getting steamed up. Sometimes I'm even successful.
Don't give up on the forum. There is just too much good info here, and there are truly great people. Hang in there.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #39
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
My standard coupler engulfs the ball when the latch is lowered. The quickbite does not appear to do this?
Ahem....how does a standard coupler "engulf" the ball?
It just has an oval ended lever that keeps it from popping out...
Did you look at the pics of the thing? It looks ingenious.

I swear by one of my cat's lives that I am nor involved with this company, neither do I profit from this post....
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
After looking at the Quickbite site and seeing the videos, that is one great, heavy duty design!

Just look at the parts...heavy machined 'jaws' that entirely enclose the hitch ball...a thick heavy band that drops down and holds everything in place. The retaining pin that some have mentioned don't carry any part of the 'load', it just keeps the heavy band from moving, which keeps everything 'encapsulated' up inside...just a great design!

That design has to be 'safer', IMHO than what we all have now...stamped steel socket with a stamped steel retainer inside held by a bolt...that probably none of us crawl down to look back up, inside to check for wear! Especially on an older trailer with many miles...when's the last time any of us has actually checked for wear...I know I haven't!

That Quickbite is one HEAVY DUTY invention...and no, I've never heard of them before reading this thread! Those jaws look even heavier than the jaws used in 5th hitches!

I want one on all my trailers! Thanks for posting the original info, goes to show that there IS a better mouse trap out there!!
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote