Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
New 16" Tires & WD re-adjustment help plz?

Okay folks, so I got my new tires & rims installed, and now the front end of the TT is really down with the old position on the shank. Several questions I would like to ask.
Let's start with the digits:
TV without TT attached, Front fender: 40" Rear fender: 41 1/2"

TV attached to TT, WD applied w 5 links between the bars, Front fender: 40 3/8" Rear fender: 40"

Level trailer ball height is 22". I am using Reese shank 63978, and the highest I can get the ball with the shank pointed down is 22". If I turn the shank upside down and pointed up towards the tailgate, the lowest I can get the ball is 24".
I called Reese thinking I should get a new ball with a 1" rise. They said to lower the top bolt back towards the trailer by at least 2 ticks, and re-measure.
If every piece of literature I have read says the ball should be 3/4" to 1" higher than the top of the trailer before dropping the TT down onto the ball, why on earth is he telling me to LOWER the ball? I didn't want to argue with them, but that's what I am being told.
I haven't even been to the scale yet. Is the 3/8" increase in height of the front fender cause for concern? It seems to me I need to get more of an increase in the rear height, and a decrease in the front height before I even take it to the scale.
Am I fussing over nothing, and should I just get the rig to the scale?
Do I need to purchase a ball with a 1" lift to make up the 3/4" to 1" I feel it should be set to, before beginning this re-adjustment?
Thank you,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Put the ball mount in the next higher set of holes in the drop bar, and leave everything else as it was. Then, take a look, and see how it is.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Put the ball mount in the next higher set of holes in the drop bar, and leave everything else as it was. Then, take a look, and see how it is.
Yup.

What is strange is that even tho you have the same 'WD' chain link set as before, the 'weight' is not pushing the front of TV down..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I disagree with the previous posters. What Reese is telling you to do is increase the rearward slant of the head which will increase the tension on the bars, which will lower the front of your TV a little, and most probably raise the front of the trailer and lower the rear.

The fact that your front TV measurement is greater with the trailer attached says you do not have the bars tight enough.

However, you did not tell us how low the front of your trailer is compared to the rear.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I disagree with the previous posters. What Reese is telling you to do is increase the rearward slant of the head which will increase the tension on the bars, which will lower the front of your TV a little, and most probably raise the front of the trailer and lower the rear.

The fact that your front TV measurement is greater with the trailer attached says you do not have the bars tight enough.

However, you did not tell us how low the front of your trailer is compared to the rear.
That was my take, also, regarding what the Reese guy was telling you. Had to do with the slant of the head, not the drop of the head.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
On my first As the dealer told me the TV ball height was to be 19 1/2 inches. So I set it up for that and then used the bars to pull it all up level. Later I added extra leaves to the rear springs which raised the rear of the TV about 2 ". Still when I hooked up it all came back into line but with less torsion on the bars.

Seems to me if you check the height of your trailer hitch (level trailer) and set the ball on the TV to that height (or correcting up or down for any normal out level of front to back on the TV it should all work out using the bars to pull it into line. BTW if your links are too long and you need only a half a half link adjustment, just insert a high strength bolt and nut (with washers) into a pair of links to shorten the chains
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Will be watching this thread. My Reese setup needs a little tweaking as well, so I will be interested in what works for you.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
You're using the one I am using, you can also try this one which will give you more downwards adjustment: Reese Weight Dist Shank - Drop Only - 14" Long - 4-3/4", 6-1/2" Drop - 1,500 lbs TW Reese Accessories and Parts RP63971

I was looking into it because I needed to go down, but the 16's may have solved that issue, we'll see.