Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Need to lower reciever hitch

The receiver on my Dodge 4X4 in two inches too high, even with my Reese Dual Cam set on the lowest setting.

My plan is to shim the hitch down two inches with two inch solid steel bar. Since I'll need longer bolts, what kind of bolts should I ask for? Hardened or something like that?

Any thoughts from the forum? Do you think this is a good plan? It will put my hitch height right where it needs to be and I think it will be safe and solid.

Mike
Old 09-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Sorry, but I think you are asking for trouble or a serious accident. By lowering your receiver, you would be changing the dynamics of your hitch design. A properly designed receiver hitch doesn't carry the weight on it's own, but transfers it to the frame of your tow vehicle. Moving how and where it attaches would change that and you would be setting yourself up for hitch failure IMO.
Grade 8 (automotive grade) bolts are the strongest readily available bolts and they wouldn't hold up to the additional stress you would be subjecting them to - I've used them to repair my recliner at home and they've snapped off, more than once! (poor recliner design, I only weigh 200lbs )
Your correct plan of action would be to get either a drop hitch of the right height, or an adjustable hitch that slides into your reciever. They are widely available.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
[quote=flynmike]The receiver on my Dodge 4X4 in two inches too high, even with my Reese Dual Cam set on the lowest setting.

My plan is to shim the hitch down two inches with two inch solid steel bar. Since I'll need longer bolts, what kind of bolts should I ask for? Hardened or something like that?

Mike
I had the same problem could not find a hitch low enough, even the adjustable hitches were to high.
I took mine to a welder and he cut the drop portion off the hitch and rewelded it under the draw bar part which dropped the ball 2'. Then he welded a couple of triangular pieces to reinforce it.
I hope this makes sense?
I think he charged $20 bucks.
That 2" bar requires a heavy duty weld.
Don
nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
I too have had this problem. I recently bought a 10" drop bar with 8 pre drilled holes. Have you looked at any of the drop systems? How far off are you from the top of your receiver to the top of the coupler on the trailer??
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Found the right drop

In all my research before buying the Reese Dual Cam I never saw the third size drop bar....until now. I found it on the Reese website!

I did not know there was one size longer than the one I have....oh well it's the old "live and learn" again.

Thanks a lot to you guys for setting me straight and now all I have to do is buy this longer drop ($100.00) and I'm set!

Mike
Old 09-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Yes, I spent around $100. as well good luck
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote