Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Moving my 31' International 100 miles or so

Dear fellow Streamers,
I have a '70 31' International and a 2003 F150 4x4 with the 5.3ltr V8. In a month, I'll want to move my Airstream to a new parking location within 100 miles. I've studied all the discussioin regarding Reese hitches and wonder if this is necessary for the one-time pull?
My '70 is in excellent axle and tire shape, although I don't know about the brakes. The trailer was placed in its current location by another man about 2 1/2 years ago.
I do not own a Reese weight bar system nor a brake controller. The tow will be on mostly West Texas flat highways.
Thoughts?
Thank you, Charles Rahm, Dallas, Texas
chasrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your trailer weighs 5000 lbs dry with a hitch weight of around 500 lbs. You might get by without a WD hitch, but I would not tow it anywhere without a brake controller.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Ditto !
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrahm View Post
Dear fellow Streamers,
I have a '70 31' International and a 2003 F150 4x4 with the 5.3ltr V8. In a month, I'll want to move my Airstream to a new parking location within 100 miles. I've studied all the discussioin regarding Reese hitches and wonder if this is necessary for the one-time pull?
My '70 is in excellent axle and tire shape, although I don't know about the brakes. The trailer was placed in its current location by another man about 2 1/2 years ago.
I do not own a Reese weight bar system nor a brake controller. The tow will be on mostly West Texas flat highways.
Thoughts?
Thank you, Charles Rahm, Dallas, Texas
More than likely the axles are shot, too.

Keep your speed down to no more than 35 MPH.

If you exceed that, you will have a sway that can cause you to loss control instantly, that can result in flipping the trailer and truck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
In many states it is illegal to tow a trailer over a certain weight without working brakes. Should you get into a situation and cause property damage or bodily harm, you will most likely be found liable. Insurance would pay if you had it, but you'd be dropped and most likely sued in civil court and if anyone got hurt, maybe even see some jail time.

I have to agree, I could see you doing everything you say, except for towing without working trailer brakes. Accidents happen on flatland, maybe even more than on hilly roads. I'd be real sure the brakes worked and if not, get 'em fixed. Lots of chances for murphy and his laws to spring up in 100 miles.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Charles, if you don't have a proper hook up with safety chains, working brakes, etc. any zelous state trooper could stop you on the spot and impound your vehicle because of saftey violations. I've seen people get hauled into court because of this and sometimes the fines are not user friendly. The 31' probably matches your F-150 pound for pound if not more so keeping the speed fairly low would be to your advantage. Highly possible the weight of the trailer will make the TV hang pretty low in the rearend.
Good luck in your venture.

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
Try to find an AS friend to lend you their hitch. A trailer brake is plug and play on your truck. Maybe not so much on the trailer. It will need a new battery for certain. A replacement kit is the best option. You will be using everything you buy later on if you tow.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote