Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
LED Tow Vehicle to LED Trailer Problems

I have a 2010 MB GL and it has LED lights.

The 2011 FC 23FB also has LEDs.

Problem: It appears there is a resistance issue between LED sets that cause (when the tow vehicle has its headlights on) the trailer running lights to blink on and off quickly.

etrailer.com has an adaptor 7 pin cable that MB says takes care of the issue.

Etrailer will not have any in supply until July.

Does anyone know of an alternative solution to this issue?

TIA
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've heard of some folks wiring in incandescent bulbs just to provide the resistance, but I also think you can get the adapter from Andrew T.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
In a earlier post I read where someone found the running and stop lights wires under the couch, and put a incandescent bulb in-line there, to get the resistance to allow the LED lights to work. I'm not sure where your wires are but having a light inside your unit and not touching anything to where the heat from the light would not cause any problems should be fine. To get you on your way.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You can get the adapter from VW dealers but it will cost more than at Etrailer.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You can get the adapter from VW dealers but it will cost more than at Etrailer.
Are you sure VW has the adapter? Etrailer has them on backorder and won't have them until July.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I've heard of some folks wiring in incandescent bulbs just to provide the resistance, but I also think you can get the adapter from Andrew T.
I talked with them and they suggested the incandescent method.

The harness is located under the bed and splicing in sockets to hold bayonet style bulbs in three wires would be a solution to the issue.

What I don't understand is, why didn't Airstream address this issue when they knew it (I talked with them earlier this morning, and they acknowledged it was an issue)?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I believe this is a tow vehicle problem not an AS problem. AS can't be expected to solve every issue that may come up with all the diferent types of tv. Same as hitches, if it will not work on an AS, then it is not AS problem, it is the hitch mfg problem. Go to your MB dealer and ask them why their car will not work with the AS. I bet they will say something like--we can't make our car compatible with every trailer mfg. Same as AS , they can't make their trailers work with every tv made. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
I believe this is a tow vehicle problem not an AS problem. AS can't be expected to solve every issue that may come up with all the diferent types of tv. Same as hitches, if it will not work on an AS, then it is not AS problem, it is the hitch mfg problem. Go to your MB dealer and ask them why their car will not work with the AS. I bet they will say something like--we can't make our car compatible with every trailer mfg. Same as AS , they can't make their trailers work with every tv made. jim
Seems to me to be a chicken or egg issue, jim. It is, indeed, an engineering challenge.

However if I knew there was an issue in MY manufacturing process that impacted a growing body of users, I probably would spend some time and effort in providing a solution to my future customers.

JMHO, though.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Okay, so why isn't MB doing that? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
I don't know that they aren't.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I'm not familiar with this issue, but is it related to the power to the LED being too high with not enough resistance? Alternatively if it is because of the aspect of using LEDs for both, couldn't you just wire in a relay with a separate lead from the battery in order to have direct power to the lights, and then put a load resistor on it? You can pick those up at Fry's or Radioshack.

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I think you can count those of us who tow with a Mercedes on one hand.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I'm not familiar with this issue, but is it related to the power to the LED being too high with not enough resistance? Alternatively if it is because of the aspect of using LEDs for both, couldn't you just wire in a relay with a separate lead from the battery in order to have direct power to the lights, and then put a load resistor on it? You can pick those up at Fry's or Radioshack.
I'm guessing that the "adapters" mentioned that are out of stock are nothing more than an appropriately-sized resistor.

It sounds like the same behavior that modern cars exhibit when a lamp burns out, but applied to the running lamps instead of the turn lamps. I'd assumed it was an intentional design for turn signals, so that you're alerted that a lamp is out. I wonder if it's an inadvertent "feature" that's triggered for the running lights as well, since many modern high-tech cars don't have mechanical flashers anymore, it's done by one of the onboard computer modules.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I think you can count those of us who tow with a Mercedes on one hand.
It not only applies to MB. Audi, VW and Porsche Cayenne seem to be having the same issue.

Lot's of good feedback from many of you, but so far I'm of the opinion that installing incandescent sockets with bulbs at the right location in the trailer, seems to be the best approach.

Of course, as LED technology becomes more prolific, the solutions will rush to the marketplace.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I'm guessing that the "adapters" mentioned that are out of stock are nothing more than an appropriately-sized resistor.

It sounds like the same behavior that modern cars exhibit when a lamp burns out, but applied to the running lamps instead of the turn lamps. I'd assumed it was an intentional design for turn signals, so that you're alerted that a lamp is out. I wonder if it's an inadvertent "feature" that's triggered for the running lights as well, since many modern high-tech cars don't have mechanical flashers anymore, it's done by one of the onboard computer modules.
I've been told by MB Tech that the one of the computer modules is getting the wrong reading. MB is slow in adapting technology, but when they do, they do it well, but at this juncture, I really can't point the finger at MB or Airstream because of my lack of electrical understanding.

But, both entities are well aware of the issue.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Murrey, I got my adapter from VW because back then that was the only source. It works well and gives me the added length needed for a Hensley hitch. This is a problem with most European cars, VW, MB, Porsche, Land Rover and Audi. You'll have to call and order one from whatever source you can find. Or as others said, wire in a bulb or resistor if you're handy with electronics. Your lights should work in the meantime, but they may start flashing even when parked with the ignition off.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Change your flasher, get one that blinks based on time, not heat.
Most all auto parts stores will have them... about $10
If you change to LEDs thats the way to go.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
It not only applies to MB. Audi, VW and Porsche Cayenne seem to be having the same issue.

Lot's of good feedback from many of you, but so far I'm of the opinion that installing incandescent sockets with bulbs at the right location in the trailer, seems to be the best approach.

Of course, as LED technology becomes more prolific, the solutions will rush to the marketplace.
True, but again, these vehicles aren't marketed for towing, so I think that's why they are all slow to react.

I'm guessing the big tow vehicles - pick ups, Suburbans etc.- don't have leds lights yet.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I have that issue with my Cayenne and use that adapter from Etrailer sometimes for larger trips. As I understand it, the computer module in BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and some other euro cars sends a low level pulse throughout the brake system that checks for burned out trailer or brake lights. If I don't have the harness plugged in I get a check trailer light error message even though they work fine and the flashing that you see isn't readily apparent in the day light but is at night. It's related to the same issue that many of these suvs have trouble with certain brake controllers. By putting the incandesant bulb inline it increases the load on the system and the SUVs computer thinks all the bulbs are fine. This really isn't an Airstream issue in my opionion. The engineers of these cars set the system up to check the trailer lights. There are so many variations of trailers that this is hard to do. Id rather my car not check the lights and I would continue to do the pre trip walkaround.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You might want to check out the load resistors available here: Load Resistor Kits
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote