Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Jamaica Plain , Massachusetts
L-pins are grinding against the sway bars on my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch

This is a photo of one of the spring arms on my Equal-i-zer sway control hitch:

The L-pins on My Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Notice that the L-pin barely contains the arm, with the corner of the L-pin grinding up against the corner of the arm. It doesn't start out this way, but quickly works itself into this configuration while towing. This makes me a little nervous that the arm may eventually work its way out completely. Also, it makes a grinding noise while turning that I've been unable to completely alleviate by applying grease.

Is this how it works for other people? Are my L-pins defective? Do I have something installed incorrectly?
Simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
can't offer an opinion on an older hitch but the l pins on mine completely cover the sway arm, now mine are only 3 weeks old, but I would not feel safe if they looked like yours. either the l bracket is bent or the pins are worn.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
My Equal-i-zer is now 4 years old and my L pins still cover most of the bar.

Do your L Brackets (that bolt to the A frame of the trailer) still have their shelves (where the bar sits) parallel to the ground and bent 90 degrees from the rest of L bracket?

Are the L pins wearing away or is the hole on the L Bracket enlarging?

I think I would start with new L pins.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Matthewsim,

I'm certainly not an expert on hitch setup, but I would be concerned -- the photo really helps.

First, you might want to review this thread that discusses the improper equalizer installations that many of us have found on our trailers, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tml#post401854. Airstream sometimes runs propane lines directly beneath the A-frame as shown in your photo, and because of this arrangement the Equal-i-zer brackets cannot be correctly attached until the propane line is rerouted. Your brackets could have become warped because the bolts were not right next to the A-frame.

I would also give Equal-I-zer a call. They were very informative and helpful during our setup.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
My set up looks exactly like yours. Even though I have never used grease on it the L hooks have never not held the bars on the ledge. Even though our trailer spends a lot of time off road.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs View Post
Matthewsim,

I'm certainly not an expert on hitch setup, but I would be concerned -- the photo really helps.

First, you might want to review this thread that discusses the improper equalizer installations that many of us have found on our trailers, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...tml#post401854. Airstream sometimes runs propane lines directly beneath the A-frame as shown in your photo, and because of this arrangement the Equal-i-zer brackets cannot be correctly attached until the propane line is rerouted. Your brackets could have become warped because the bolts were not right next to the A-frame.

I would also give Equal-I-zer a call. They were very informative and helpful during our setup.

Yea, I missed that.....that would explain the deformation of the L Bracket that would allow for the Bar to spend way too much time grinding away at the L Pin. Now how the "L" did I miss that?

Replacement L Brackets are the place to start, mounted properly.

If I can get to our storage facility within the next few days I will snap a picture of the brackets on our 28' CCD.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
The best advice you have been given is to talk to Equalizer. Share you photos with them before you start replacing parts.

I know that today's advice is to move the propane line. That wasn't the answer when I asked the question of Equalizer in 2004.

Keep in mind that it is possible can give the same problem to 4 engineers and get 4 different answers, all of which will work.

Good luck,

Jim
pienjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Looks like your brackets are bent so the pins don't sit straight.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I've been using the Equal-i-zer hitch for 7 years now, so I consider myself somewhat knowledgable in its use.

The first thing I noticed is that your L-Pins are bent, you can buy replacement parts for your Equal-i-zer at most RV parts stores. Most alarming, however, is the propane line running behind your L-Bracket. NOT GOOD. That needs to be corrected ASAP and is probably the source of your problem. The L-brackets must be flush with the A-Frame.

How is the L-bracket on the other side doing? Is there a similar problem there, too? If not, it's probably because it's mounted correctly.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I agree . It's not mounted correctly, you need to re-route that propane line so that bracket is flush to the frame. I would replace the brackets and pins. Contact E-Qualizer and get their set up guide so you can reset everything at the correct height and angle for the hitch. I would not go a block the way it is.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote