Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Currently Looking...
Felton , California
Husky WD chain lift bracket issue

For the past three years, I've been safely hauling my 19' Victorinox using the Husky model 31330 hitch with trunnion spring bars and chain lift brackets that was set up by my local RV shop. This past weekender raised a concerning issue. The bracket provided has a dimension of 3" secured by a 3 1/2" grade 8 bolt. The A frame C channel is 1 1/2" across the top. All seemed to be well, stable and safe until, when backing into a spot, I heard a bang and found that the 3" bracket had tipped over the 1 1/2" A frame and bent the heck out of the grade 8 bolt. Looking for advice, I phoned Husky tech support. No help there. They do not make a block or adapter nor a bracket in a 1 1/2" size. Short of welding the brackets to the frame or a new hitch, is there advice on others are setting up WD on this
1 1/2" frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-23 06.44.12.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	304955  
Paulizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
The brand of the bracket does not have to match the brand of the hitch. When I bought my current hitch I was sold a EAZ Lift round bar model, but the dealer provided a different brand of snap-up bracket (I think Reese).

I think all the common brands of WD hitch use 1.5 inch chain links. So you can check other companies.

My usual go-to online source for such items is eTrailer. I only found Reese brand brackets. One was described as being good for hitches up to 2.5 inches deep, and the other said 2.25. You can look at them here:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ese/58392.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...se/RP6637.html

Plus there is this one that also replaces the chains. Again, it is sized for a frame up to about 2.5 inches. https://www.etrailer.com/tv-Demo-Lip...-LC335852.aspx
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Another thought.....

How many chain links did you have between the bracket hook and the bar? Does the Husky manual specify a minimum number? In the manual for one of the other brands, it says to have at least five links between. That is to allow for movement of the bar when turning.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote