Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Installed the Hensley Arrow hitch on our 2013 25FB International Serenity and towed it home with a 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel. Once all the stuff was loaded for camping and the wife was also in the car, the CAT scale numbers ruled the car out as a tow vehicle. A 2012 Dodge 2500HD diesel took over the towing responsibility. I kept the Hensley when the 25FB was sold.

We ordered the second generation design Hensley hitch called a ProPride for the ordered 2014 31' Classic. Many improvements to the Jim Hensley design that I really like.

We then also acquired a 2015 23D International Serenity and installed the Hensley Arrow I had in storage, I towed the 23D nearly 2,000 miles to a modification facility with the same Mercedes. This seems to be a better fit for the car. The Hensley performed as expected.

Both of these hitches prevent sway by their design, not by a friction device. The weight distribution arms are flexible to allow for vertical movement of the hitch assembly going over bumps and road undulations with less stress to both the trailer and the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
They have a new hitch called the Center Line TS. I have not seen one in person, but going by the pictures on the Husky web site, it does not have the springs. It seems like a clone of the Equal-I-Zer.
The Husky Center Line TS is very different from the Equalizer. The Equalizer uses friction bars (not torsion). The Husky definitely has "springs" (in the form of torsion trunnions) and functions in a very similar manner to the Hensley and ProPride (which are two different brands; ProPride was developed by a former employee of Hensley, but he is definitely no longer with them).

Edit: When I spoke to the dealer, he informed me that the 3221_ series (32216, 32217, 32218) called "Center Line TS" replaced the older, larger, heavier 31390 "Center Line" model. He suggested that both have the same "head," but the new TS line comes with the Torsion/Spring Bars (instead of having to ad them).

Looking more closely at pictures in reviews and magazine articles, it would seem that the Center Line has a "compression cylinder" in the head (more similar to Hensley and ProPride) that the TS lacks. This does lead me to believe that the TS is more like the Equalizer (without the additional mechanical components in the head).

It's also pretty infuriating (confusing!) that one is called the Center Line Towing System and the other is called the Center Line TS (uh... TS... "towing system?"). Why would ANYONE assume that those two things are different?!

So, at this point I don't really believe the guy at the dealer who told me the Center Line Towing System and Center Line TS are the same. If you look at the hitch head, they are clearly VERY different.

GRRRRRR.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Installed the Hensley Arrow hitch..........
And the rest of the comment discussed nothing about the Husky.

I'd like to see this thread be a dicsussion for the Husky Centerline hitch. Every other hitch has had multiple threads and as a reminder this is the OP's opening final question.

If so, can you share your reasons for choosing the Husky Centerline and what your particular experience has been with it?

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
SSquared. I absolutely agree with you.

Husky Center Line Towing System:
This has been the Husky prime product for some time, it uses the compression cylinders in the WD head.

Husky Center Line TS:
This is the new product that DOES NOT use the compression cylinders.

I don't see how the new is better than the old, it seems like a very generic set up with horrible marketing crap to wade through. I don't see how it took 3 years to develop...

Maybe it has been designed to address the lower $$$ market???
Old 09-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
And the rest of the comment discussed nothing about the Husky.

I'd like to see this thread be a dicsussion for the Husky Centerline hitch. Every other hitch has had multiple threads and as a reminder this is the OP's opening final question.
To be fair, the title of the thread ends with "(or recommend instead)." Yes there are tons of threads on hitches, but they are spread far and wide, and trying to gather information from all of them is a painful task (I've spent weeks), so if we have a thread that focuses on the Husky (my main question), but gives some information about the positives/negatives of other hitches, I'd be very happy with that.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
So here is the response I received about the difference between the 31390 and 3221_ series from Modern Trailer in Anderson, IN:

"I do keep them in stock" (literally all that was in the e-mail)

AWESOME.

Here's the response from Husky (at least it includes an answer, basically, the TS is friction based [like the Equalizer] and the other is active [like Hensley and ProPride]):

"
Thanks into the difference between our two systems. The difference between to two is one is active & the other one isn’t . If you could test drive the two the CL TS is a little more jerky because with a friction sway device it tries to hold the trailer at any given point during turning. Whereas the Hd version is active and more subtle as you don’t feel that kind of response in the system. I will also include instructions on both systems."

So, evidently the 31390 is referred to by Husky as the HD? It took me a long time to find this hitch listed "HD" anywhere else, but it seems to be the case, so let's refer to the different husky hitches as HD (active) and TS (friction based).

In my opinion (based solely on research -no personal experience with the products), there is no advantage to the TS system over other friction based systems (Equalizer, et al). If I purchase a Husky, it will be the more expensive and much heavier HD, which is more like Hensley/ProPride with a greatly reduced price tag ($650, complete, on Amazon).

Old 09-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Husky Center Line Towing System:
This has been the Husky prime product for some time, it uses the compression cylinders in the WD head.

Husky Center Line TS:
This is the new product that DOES NOT use the compression cylinders.

I don't see how the new is better than the old, it seems like a very generic set up with horrible marketing crap to wade through. I don't see how it took 3 years to develop...

Maybe it has been designed to address the lower $$$ market???
Agreed. What in the world did "three years of research" result in? A product just like products already on the market (but a bit more expensive).

I think their original HD (with compression cylinders) is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Husky Centerline Hitch... what d'ya think? (or recommend instead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
To be fair, the title of the thread ends with "(or recommend instead)." .

Re read title and I see your point.

A hitch thread that includes or recommended can create a wandering life of its own, we've certainly seen that.

Somebody start a husky owners thread that owns one. We got an equalizer one running right now, ha ha has one and the Anderson one too.

This thread has shown you owners are out there.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Old Bridge , New Jersey
I just bought a Husky Centerline TS. Towing a 23D with a VW Touareg. It was $399 from Camping World. Yes, it is more expensive than the other systems in it's class but I found it was well worth the price. It is very well made. It is a complete system, no need to buy anything else to install, such as ball, etc. It is also a WD and sway control in one. No need to disconnect anything when backing up.

Their other system, they call HD is $799 from Camping World. A totally different animal. Works more like the Hensly/PP. It was overkill for my set up.

As soon as I get someone to install it correctly I will be much happier but on my first ride to the campground I didn't feel that I was towing anything unless I looked back. I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm a single woman and must say the head and the shank together are heavy for me but wouldn't be for a man. I still handle it.
LiaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaG View Post
I just bought a Husky Centerline TS. Towing a 23D with a VW Touareg. It was $399 from Camping World. Yes, it is more expensive than the other systems in it's class but I found it was well worth the price.
Thanks for all the first hand info., LiaG. The price for the "TS" is actually cheaper than the Equalizer (which is around $530 on Amazon) and Reese Dual Cam (a little over $500 on Amazon with the additional sway control components). The Eaz-Lift is definitely cheaper at around $220, but it seems inferior to these other systems.

FWIW, I'm pretty close to clicking "buy" on the Husky Center Line HD (the one with the active centering via the compression discs in the head).

Also... we had a 27' 1976 Overland in our driveway for the past couple of nights (a friend's HOA wouldn't let his parents park in the neighborhood anymore, so we gave them safe harbor). When they came to pick up the trailer I noticed he was using the Reese hitch, but just with the chains, not with the additional Dual Cam Sway control. He said it works great for him, though I will note that he had the trim on his Airstream wheel well affixed with duct tape from hitting a cone in 35 mph winds with 45 mph gusts up north somewhere.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The EazLift really isn't bad.
I had one before.
It is easy to adjust, but more steps to couple and uncouple, and you have to loosen or remove the sway control before backing i to a tight space.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #32
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Curt Mfg. #17222 works fine for us

I use the Curt Mfg. kit #17222 with our 1987 Avion 34W. CURT Manufacturing - CURT Round Bar Weight Distribution Hitch Kit #17222

Works very well and didn't break the bank.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Here are a couple of videos that are pretty much clinching the Husky Center Line HD for me.

Also, there is quite a bit of confusion surrounding the Husky hitches (due largely to REALLY bad marketing and information dissemination from the company). The HD (31390) is an active system with compression cylinders. The TS (3221_) is friction based, and, in my opinion, not as good (more like the Equalizer).

Boating World (do not try this at home!)

GoPro video of hitch during use

How to set it up

Old 09-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
The plot thickens...

The Husky Centerline HD (31390) description states a tow capacity of 4,000 to 14,000 lbs., but the low end isn't a suggestion. They actually mean: DON'T USE THIS HITCH WITH TRAILERS WEIGHING LESS THAN 4,000 LBS. The engineer's exact words regarding the 31390 were:
No – you should not use this on trailers under 4,000# especially one that light.
This definitely puts a major crimp in my plan, as I need to pull the gutted and empty (definitely less than 4,000 lbs.) trailer from Indianapolis to Denver (1,1000 miles) before I can get to work on it (and I really don't want to fill it up with bricks).

In finding this out, I also found out some other good information.

I've been saying the Husky Centerline TS is similar to the Equalizer. I now have first hand confirmation from one of the Husky engineers who wrote:
[. . .] CL TS was designed to specifically compete with the E4 system from equilizer.
Here is some additional information that I had already found in my research, but I'm posting it here since this verbiage is straight from the horse's mouth... well... the engineer's mouth:
There is a difference in performance on the two Center Line products we have. One is active and the other is not. And if someone had an opportunity to test drive both systems after another you would be able to tell that the CL TS is a little more "jerky" if you will because with any friction sway device it tries to hold the trailer at any given point during turning. Whereas the Hd version is active and more subtle as you don't feel that kind of response in the system.”
I really can't afford to purchase a hitch just for the drive back, then purchase the one I actually want once I get the AS set up (not to mention, buying two hitches would put me in ProPride/Hensely territory for the budget).

No anti-sway hitch for the drive from Indy to Denver just seems like a bad idea... like pulling a giant metal balloon across the wind blown plains of Kansas (which is pretty literally what I'll be doing).

This has me seriously considering the Reese Dual Cam (my second choice), unless I really do end up filling the trailer with "ballast" just so I can use the Centerline HD.

Anybody need something hauled from the Midwest to Denver in October? Reasonable rates! But it will need to be able to fit through an Airstream door.

It would be very disturbing if after all of this research work I end up going with the $200 Eaz-lift 48058 just because it's the cheapest (even comes with the hitch ball!).

Tags
center line, eazlift, equalizer, husky center-line, reese dual cam, wd hitch