Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
How to operate electric tongue jack without juice?

Had a 78 sovereign dropped off on my property and I'm trying to figure out how to move it. It's currently sitting on the tongue jack, but on inspection of tongue jack, it looks pretty messed up, the wire is frayed, and also there is no battery at the moment. Is there a way to hand crank it?
estock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Should be. You will have to find the crank and find a crank handle to fit.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
Should be. You will have to find the crank and find a crank handle to fit.
Yeah, but where do you crank it? i can't actually see a bolt or anything
Old 08-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Use a battery charger, or some other 12 volt source, and hook it directly to the jack. Remember that trailer tongue provides the ground. Hopefully, the motor is still good.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by estock View Post
Had a 78 sovereign dropped off on my property and I'm trying to figure out how to move it. It's currently sitting on the tongue jack, but on inspection of tongue jack, it looks pretty messed up, the wire is frayed, and also there is no battery at the moment. Is there a way to hand crank it?
Do you have the owner's manual? I will find one online and post a link. There should be some info on operating the tongue jack manually.

Does this one look right?

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-0003.085c.pdf

Sorry but I don't see any info you need. What brand and model is the tongue jack, if you can tell. There should be some way to remove the cover, and have access to the end of the jack's drive shaft, the top of which should be square or hex-headed, permitting a socket set or box wrench to turn the shaft.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- You can always use a standard hydraulic bottle jack to raise the tongue, to get the tow hitch's ball under the tongue's ball receiver. Hopefully the jack foot pad will be off the ground. If not, you could remove the entire jack assembly if that helps.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Typically there is an opening under a cover on the top or side. Inside is a socket into which the crank can go. This assumes the crank did not go astray....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
just for the record, there are two allen keys that allowed my to take the motor off, once it was exposed I was able to use a wrench and a large skrew driver.