Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2023, 12:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduprey View Post
I use these 2 brackets to secure my hitch receiver and sway bars.
How is that a form of security…as opposed to simply marketing it to passersby “Here…I’m available.” I don’t see any lock.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Call me crazy, but I've never removed mine.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:22 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I simply get it out of sight and slide it under the trailer behind the wheel.
Simple and quick.
12 years never an issue.
This is also our method - tuck the hitch more or less out of sight under trailer. Equalizer bars put in back bumper. We do use the Proven lock occasionally, depending on how I feel. :-) So far so good in 18 years & 3 trailers.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Petaluma , California
I leave the Equalizer hitch lock-pinned to the TV. (I’m too lazy to remove it…)I don’t lock bars but could with bike lock/cable. I do bike lock the bbq but that’s it. Chairs, table, firepit, etc, are on their own….Yeti lives in back of TV. Again, too lazy to take out….Never had an issue, but, I’ll take my chances 😎
TinShanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #25
EDuprey

2022 25' Globetrotter
Brownstown , Michigan
My brackets do not ‘secure” my hitch parts, just keeps them off the ground and accessible. Been trailering since the 70’s - never had one stolen

2023 Globetrotter 25FBT
300W Solar, 300AH BB Batteries, Victron 3000W Inverter, CerboGX, & Charge Controllers, LevelMate Pro, Peplink Router, Victron AC to DC Charger
TV: 2023 Expedition Max w/HD Tow Package
Eduprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:38 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Why do we remove the hitch from the TV?: Because when we are bouncing around on the unpaved roads we often like to explore outside our campsites, the hitch is often a low point that bottoms out in the gullies in the dirt roads.

Why do we secure our hitch at the campsite?: Because losing it would make for a very difficult drive home if lost at a remote location.

How do we secure our hitch?: A U-shaped kryptonite bike lock fits well through one of the holes in the shank of our Blue Ox hitch. A chain run through the a-frame and the kryptonite secures it to the trailer. We leave it visible, this hitch is not worth the effort it would require to remove - move on down the road.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:50 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotGlober View Post
Newish to RVing, but I've been curious about this seeing the lengths some go to secure it. I threat modelled it out in my mind and came to the conclusion the effort to lock it up isn't worth the (assessed as low) likelihood it gets stolen.

But, definitely curious... exactly how often WDH hitches get stolen?

It's not too likely to be stolen, but if it is, you are going to have a Really Bad Day.
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrkdScientst View Post
It's not too likely to be stolen, but if it is, you are going to have a Really Bad Day.
Sure, but to what end do you spend time mitigating low-occurrence events? What complexity and risk do the mitigations themselves introduce?

In my example, the worst case is I make do with the non-WDH adjustable hitch I keep in my TV to hit the road, well within the limits of my vehicle & towing gear, and replace the WDH components at my leisure.

On the other hand, consider what happens if you lose the keys for the lock or it otherwise quits functioning. Also probably not too likely to happen, but if it is, you are also going to have a Really Bad Day.
TrotGlober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Newmarket , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrotGlober View Post
Sure, but to what end do you spend time mitigating low-occurrence events? What complexity and risk do the mitigations themselves introduce?

In my example, the worst case is I make do with the non-WDH adjustable hitch I keep in my TV to hit the road, well within the limits of my vehicle & towing gear, and replace the WDH components at my leisure.

On the other hand, consider what happens if you lose the keys for the lock or it otherwise quits functioning. Also probably not too likely to happen, but if it is, you are also going to have a Really Bad Day.

Fair point. You always have to balance the risks according to your own situation. In my case, the WDH is a hard requirement. Finding a suitable replacement out in the middle of nowhere would be challenging. Everything gets locked up in the vehicle, out of sight. (And if I lose the keys to the vehicle I'm dead in the water anyway.)
IrkdScientst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:52 AM   #30

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Rochester , ny
Thank you everyone for all the great ideas! I think they are all good, give me & others many choices for what works best.
cloud49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:23 PM   #31
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Our Reese hitch assembly with rock guard mud flaps was stolen off our truck parked our driveway.they didn't get the bars which were in the garage. The thieves also got a neighbor's hitch. Happened 3 days before our departure for a rally. No sign of cutting or otherwise destroying the hitch lock. We later learned that lock had very common key sets, and after scrambling to get replacement hitch, ball and rock guards found a different brand of hitch lock of better design and uncommon key set.

We no longer leave it on the truck but remove it and store in the garage. Ok, you're wondering why not just park the TV in the garage? It's a GMC Savana van that is just a bit too tall to fit without letting air out of the tires which we do to fit it in for the winter.
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerKat View Post
Our Reese hitch assembly with rock guard mud flaps was stolen off our truck parked our driveway.they didn't get the bars which were in the garage. The thieves also got a neighbor's hitch. Happened 3 days before our departure for a rally. No sign of cutting or otherwise destroying the hitch lock. We later learned that lock had very common key sets, and after scrambling to get replacement hitch, ball and rock guards found a different brand of hitch lock of better design and uncommon key set.

We no longer leave it on the truck but remove it and store in the garage. Ok, you're wondering why not just park the TV in the garage? It's a GMC Savana van that is just a bit too tall to fit without letting air out of the tires which we do to fit it in for the winter.
Those hitches are in a Pawn Shop somewhere.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:23 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
How often is a hitch or TT stolen from an occupied campground?
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:06 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Despite horror stories, including from my brother-in-law who had his stolen once, I’ve trusted campers to not disturb our stuff when we leave the camp and after years and years we haven’t had an incident. My attitude is that bad things can happen no matter what precautions are taken sometimes - and I think the vast majority of people just want to camp and be good citizens.
ibosket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Clovis , California
Securing my hitch

I remove it and place in my truck for the duration of of my stay….I also place a lock on my trailer hitch to prevent theft.
TimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
Not Removing Hitch

Just an FYI - it’s illegal in some states to leave the tow hitch in place when not towing. May not get cited, but insurance adjusters love reasons to reduce accident compensation. I remove (also protects our own shins) and store in the truck bed which has a locking cap.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:47 AM   #37
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
let's look at the root cause of the problem. in my years of glamping, nothing ever got stolen. granted you don't want to be the first one, but glamping in general is safe.

lastly, may want to revisit your location of choice if you are concerned.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:51 AM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If I absolutely have to take it off the truck, like going into a very urban, busy area with tight parking, I put it in the truck bed. I built an open box for it years ago, but after a while I stopped caring about the box. The truck bed gets beat up by stuff, but that's why I have a truck and not a pretty SUV for towing.

The hitch is locked to the receiver when installed. I am sure the lock is fairly easy to pick, but it is just another level of safety. Campgrounds offer many opportunities for thieves, but few things are taken. All those storage doors on RV's have very simple locks with keys common to almost every RV. Nothing inside is very safe either, and most of it weighs less than a hitch. All those chairs, rugs, etc., left outside are enough to start a used camping gear store if you want to ravage campgrounds.

Campgrounds are pretty safe, but of course the determined or stupid thief will some day, maybe a thousand years from now or today, show up and take your hitch. So far on this thread the only stolen hitch was from someone's driveway, not a campground or city street.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:03 AM   #39
Coyotetrack

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Santa Barbara , California
Same here. I have never bothered to lock it up. We have lots of other stuff around camp that is not locked either. So far no problems.
Coyotetrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I just put the hitch and sway bars in the "basement" under the bed.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote