Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2018, 08:45 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
check the video from CANAM in london ON
http://www.canamrv.ca/towing-expertise/videos/

they are Excellent in showing people how to tow, Backup and use weight distribution and and sway control

then even use an old jetta diesel to tow 27' from the factory just to show you dont need a huge TV
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Slow mover your test results 50- 60 years old . Your above statement is you belief that vehicles were better tow vehicles in that time frame.
I did I mention my tow vehicle.I have been watching your repetitive statements regurgitating Can Am’s propaganda.Not everyone drinks the Koolaide.All vehicles are purpose built and have their limits.You can make modifications to allow them to do things that they were not designed to do.I get that.But that does not make them a superior tow vehicle.
Shorter wheelbase vehicles with less overhang, lighter in weight with independent suspension a 50/50 weight distribution and large brakes make a good track vehicle but are severely lacking when towing a 25ft+ trailer With 800-1200lbs tongue weight.

I have 40+ years in the automobile business.I am certified in medium,duty and HD trucks.I have in my career ordered literally thousands of them.I have studied suspension design and theory.I am a member of Chevrolet’s legion of leaders and Chevrolet trucks Hall of Honor.Not to mention product knowledge champion for Chevrolet Motor division.I have done consulting for Mercedes Benz,Porsche,Ferrari,Lamborghini and Ford.
I have been to the factories met the designers engineers and workers.
I have driven the fastest cars in the world on most of the major race tracks in the USA and Europe.I am also a certified technician.

I am still learning and keep a open mind but I see all these bs posts so at times like this I call BS.

It’s amazing how many people on here preach and beat their chest on automotive design,engineering and physics and have zero experience or knowledge in a automotive background.

Slowmover I bet you are a great truck driver and I respect your experience.But your chip on your shoulder for light duty trucks is not justified.Vehicles are designed and engineered for a specific purpose.

I do not think everyone needs a pickup truck.But some of the poor choices for tow vehicles that I see on this forum being justified is just sad.I don’t know everything but I have learned a few things along the way.

Peace out

What you ignore, again, is that my “career” of towing this trailer type is longer than your work career. My overall experience a half-century. I’m not alone in this.

CAN AM has systematized what the rest of us were already doing. The valuable insights from setting up more than 10,000 rigs. What really works.

My being a truck driver at present isn’t how or where I started. I’ve several degrees.

I’ve recommended resources you ignore. Fine. You’d have found them had you a genuine interest in the subject. Not participation awards.

That you may think your pickup a better TV than a late 1960s full size hardtop IS funny. You ignore the major design difference.

Which vehicle stays upright? Name the condition.

Choosing a TV that’s worse than the TT OUGHT to be based on an understanding of what that compromise entails.

Thus, “what’s the weight of the payload that CANNOT be carried in the TV passenger compartment OR the TT?”

Someone who can’t do a minimum of homework associated with researching a vehicle purchase HARDLY strikes me as “experienced” in this regard.

The rollover proclivity of a pickup isn’t modified by “experience” or “skill” etc. A serious injury accident of that type has the life-changing effects that being gunshot does.

And I’ve no respect at all (nor should anyone else) when the secondary or tertiary use of a pickup was “reason” (ego) for the choice.

Vehicle spec is to main duty. With the exception of the sold-the-house-and-travel-full-time crowd, where is a pickup for someone not a farmer, rancher or contractor a good choice?

Softball Daddy? That’s a laugh.

Best choice TV is still solo duty first. That can also tow the TT a few thousand per year.

It’s a wide range of vehicles. That aren’t nearly so safety-compromised by design.

And what you really miss is how much easier it is to get down the highway with other than a pickup.

A straight-axle 4WD vehicle ain’t nothing but a job as distinct from a pleasure.

Saw two late half tons with 25’ and shorter AS yesterday on US-84. The second was the one pickup in twenty NOT dragging it on the front axle.

The “problem” you believe real (TW, etc) isn’t a problem, per se. Its just hitch rigging. Not esoteric.

You’ve got a fine pickup. I’ve passed along your report on solo MPG at 60 to others as I believe you more reliable than others in this.

So why not detail how you leveled your rig (split axle scale tickets) and what was necessary to achieve that? What the trucks adjusted TARE weight was after delivery? The FF/RR weight bias in that , and after WD adjustment.

The bed load. Solo and travelling? The mix of solo versus towing miles.

How you arrived at TV tire pressures, solo and hitched.

Tested total braking distances. Solo and hitched. Brake controller differences.

What tests you performed.

The process which brought you to the current state?

Because a mistake made with a pickup is far worse than missing the mark with a better vehicle design.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Your career has been pulling bumper pull trailers for a half of a century?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote