Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Amherst , New York
Hitches

Hello,
I am looking into buying an '05 Airstream Classic 31. While talking to 2 Airstream owners they recommended staying away from the Reese hitch.
I currently have a 2002 Tahoe stated to tow up to 8700 lbs that I use for towing.
What recommendations people have for a good hitch system?
Should I consider a different vehicle for towing?
Garrydragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Isn't the 30ish classic around 10,000 lbs loaded? Yes, imho you need a bigger truck.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Tahoe tranny is more like a car's than a truck's. Be sure to baby it and watch the temperature, if you have a gauge. If you don't have one (and you likely don't) then watch out to keep your rpms up to prevent overheating and failure. And get a tranny temp gauge if this is to be your tow vehicle.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
JFTKSU78

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrydragos View Post
Hello,

I am looking into buying an '05 Airstream Classic 31. While talking to 2 Airstream owners they recommended staying away from the Reese hitch.

I currently have a 2002 Tahoe stated to tow up to 8700 lbs that I use for towing.

Just my own thoughts - Am thinking yes (diff TV or shorter TT) based on wheelbase alone - I would not want the tail wagging the dog at 31ft regardless of hitch and ...heavy duty tow package w/trans cooler a must; I’ll defer to towing experts to help you make best personal decision on your equipment package.

We have a 2017 FC23FB and pulled with a 2010 Tahoe LTZ; traveling from KS to OR the challenge is wind for sway (great towing experience - no sway compared to previous TT) and mountain passes in summer heat (trans temp); did just OK. Have since traded to a 2018 Tahoe RST 6.2L 420hp + 125 ftlb more torque....and even with that would not feel real comfortable going larger than 23’ with Tahoe wheelbase as already pulling 3 tons of TT behind my 2.5 ton TV...but that is just me.....
jftompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- While talking to 2 Airstream owners they recommended staying away from the Reese hitch. -- snip --
Garry - Reese hitches have a good reputation. There is a Reese Centerline with dual cam sway control that is quite effective.

The PPP hitches are defined to be best and that may be what the comments were based on. Issues are weight and skill required to connect - Pro is the high performance sway reduction to the point sway is often considered to be eliminated with the design.

The Equal-i-zer is considered to be too stiff for the Airstream application, but lots of folks tow with them and are very happy with the ease of connection, ground clearance and sway performance. Go slow on transitions if you use one.

The Blue Ox has some advantages and some concerns. It is well received by many. Suggest you research this hitch completely if it is on your short list.

The Eaz-Lift hitch is a basic design. It can be configured with the head close to the bumper. The round bars are flexible enough to absorb the shock of road surface transitions and still transfer weight. Must be used with brake pad sway control struts. Reese sells the same type of hitch as well.

Pass on the Andersen hitch products. The thread on defacing an arch on public lands provides the logic of that decision. Older threads present the technical pros and cons of the devise.

There are also clone designs of lots of hitches. Some better and some not so good. You can save a buck or two, but understand what you are getting.

The Tahoe should be compared to the following ideal towing design parameters. A minimum weight of 4000#; a wheelbase of 120"; a short overhang from rear axle to tow ball with respect to wheelbase; a low center of gravity like the AS; a 300-350 HP rating; a strong transmission with aux cooler; 13" dia brakes on front and rear; rack and pinion steering, independent suspension on front and rear axles; stiff wall LT tires; and a rigid chassis.

Not all good tow vehicles meet that ideal. As you compare yours to the ideal, it's a good idea to understand what you are giving up with each shortfall or really gaining with each upgrade. Note, more power may get you to the top of the hill or let you pass faster, but it will have limited impact on safety. Better brakes would have a significant impact on improving safety. More weight might need better brakes to deal with the heavier vehicle. Low profile tires with sufficient load rating might be as good or better than light truck tires, but they may not have the same life.

Folks have upgraded older vehicles to make them better tow vehicles. Performance shocks, body sway bars, a panhard control arm, lower and stronger springs, solid suspension bushings, upgraded engine and transmission cooling, upgraded transmission, more frequent maintenance cycles and similar help improve tow vehicle performance.

Good luck with your review and research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Reese hitches are fantastic IMO. It does exactly what’s its supposed to. As far as vehicle I don’t think you’ll be happy with your Tahoe. I pull a 2005 30’ Safari Bunk with a 1/2 ton 05 Sierra Denali 6.0l and feel I’m at my limits. My trailer is close to 8,000 #’s. These newer trailers are definitely heavier than the 70’s / 80’s models.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
As others have said, the Tahoe may be a little light duty for this trailer but a proper hitch setup will definitely be in order. I am not sure why you were told to stay away from Reese hitches. They are one of the leaders in the industry. I have used a number of different hitches over the years and currently use a Reese Strait Line hitch, which is the best I have used for WD and sway control. Of course, there are reportedly better hitches, PPP and Hensley to name 2, but they are really expensive and heavy, which would be prohibitive for you based on your use of the Tahoe for a tow vehicle. Make sure to check the tongue weight capacity of your receiver, the hitch weight of these trailers often tips the scales at close to the 1000 lb mark despite the marketing propaganda that says otherwise.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Friends don't let friends pull full size Airstream Classics with Reese hitches. Ours utterly failed in high Texas winds. It's a miracle we survived.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think you will find the Reese to be close to the top of the game in hitch choices. There are others, to be sure, but I doubt you could go wrong with the proper Reese set up. I do not use a Reese. My 30' Classic 2001 Airstream weighed in at a nice round 8000 # with full water tank and propane and ready to travel.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Otter View Post
Friends don't let friends pull full size Airstream Classics with Reese hitches. Ours utterly failed in high Texas winds. It's a miracle we survived.
What does "utterly failed" mean. Because you mention Texas winds, were you using any kind of sway control in addition to the WD? Was your WD hitch properly set up? I have never heard of an utter failure of any WD hitch system with sway control when properly set up.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I pull our 34' with the Husky Centreline and am very happy with it. Have had Reese and they were good hitches. I do like the sway control of the Husky better than the Reese, just my personal opinion, you will not go wrong with either hitch as long as it is set up correctly. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Boothbay Harbor , Maine
We originally purchased a pp hitch for our first Airstream, a 23 ft model. When we traded for a 25 ft model we moved to a Reese Dual Cam hitch, which has been subsequently used on two other 27 ft Airstreams. We found the pp hitch was more difficult to hook up. The Reese hitch has worked flawlessly and does prevent sway. I do believe that the tow vehicle is the most important part of the safety equation. We love our Jeep Grand Cherokee, but our RAM 2500 is a dream to use as a tow vehicle.
2023 GMC Denali 3500
kdinnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
[QUOTE=PKI;2137080]Garry - ...................The Eaz-Lift hitch is a basic design. It can be configured with the head close to the bumper. The round bars are flexible enough to absorb the shock of road surface transitions and still transfer weight. Must be used with brake pad sway control struts. Reese sells the same type of hitch as well............./QUOTE]

Curt Mfg, has theirs that is a lot like the Eaz-Lift. I have had very good luck with it, and especially liked their customer support..... very friendly and always willing to help.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Currently Looking...
Amherst , New York
Quote:
Hello,
I thank every one for the information. I did end up buying a used Tundra 5.7. However when I called about the trailer that was advertised in the airstream classifieds since April the seller stated they decided to keep it. Ended up buying something else but not an airstream. may look again in a few years
Garrydragos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #15
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Hello,
< snip > While talking to 2 Airstream owners they recommended staying away from the Reese hitch.
< snip >
Nonsense

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Nonsense
^
X2

Have used Reese on two AS's & two boats...never a problem.

As far as PPP's being hard to hook-up, once learned never forgotten. Two trips we had it down.
Bob
🇺🇸

Up, down and sideways...that's all. 😏
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towtector.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	318941   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_185d.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	318942  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_185b.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	318943  
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Hello,
Were they talking about the dual cam hitch?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
What does "utterly failed" mean. Because you mention Texas winds, were you using any kind of sway control in addition to the WD? Was your WD hitch properly set up? I have never heard of an utter failure of any WD hitch system with sway control when properly set up.
Good point. The Reese given to us with the Classic 30 used a "friction" system of so-called sway control based on running the bars across brake pad material. While this reduces sway, it does not eliminate it.

In our case the "friction" bars were not enough to overcome the harsh wind (March 6, 2017). The hitch latch tore off the ball, the 7-way tore out (no trailer brake). Images attached.

We only pull with ProPride or Hensley.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reese Behind.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	318947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reese Above.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	318948  

Name:	Two Disasters - 1 of 1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	318949   Click image for larger version

Name:	On The Side.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	318950  

TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBWELL View Post
I pull our 34' with the Husky Centreline and am very happy with it. Have had Reese and they were good hitches. I do like the sway control of the Husky better than the Reese, just my personal opinion, you will not go wrong with either hitch as long as it is set up correctly. Chris
Just curious, Husky has two different Center Line hitch systems.

Husky Center Line TS. Looks similar to Equal I Zer.

Husky Center Line. These have the compression cylinders.

Which one do you have?

No flaming, just curious.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Hello,
If you can find one or get factory to make one, Pull Rite is by far the very best hitch out there. We have used Pull Rites on both our 2000 F250 and 2017 F150 for our 29ft Sovereign. No trailer sway at all, while many try and duplicate Pull Rite there is no substitute and they are cheaper than knock offs.
TV's are all over the place, 3/4 and 1 ton are great but Ford has blurred the lines between 1/2 and 3/4. Take your time and do the research.
Airstream87 is offline   Reply With Quote