Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2021, 12:15 AM   #141
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yup that’s smart thinking there!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:02 PM   #142
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rosemead , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcin View Post
Well, I finally have a chance tell someone about my Subaru Ascent experience. I have a similar setup. A 2020 Caravel 19CB pulled by my 2020 Subaru Ascent. I bought the Subaru first, then the Airstream. After asking lots of questions and researching the TV, I decided to try that combination, realizing I might have to go with a larger vehicle. I am happy to say, I was blown away with the Subaru’s ability to do the job. On the highway, acceleration up entrance ramps is awesome and for passing vehicles it is quick and sure. On hills it does equally well. It performs much better than Iexpected. I have the heavy duty hitch with WD and sway control. Also, in a construction zone with no shoulders, I topped a hill and a car ahead had come to a complete stop to turn left on to a dirt road. Oncoming traffic was bumper to bumper traffic. With no where to go, (heavy equipment and workers on the right) all I could do was slam on the brakes and hope for the best. The vehicle and AS brakes did their jobs and, fortunately traffic behind me was able to stop also. Thank God for the brake systems. Anyway, I have only been on 4 trips so far, and time will tell if the vehicle brakes, transmission, suspension, etc., will hold up. I realize I am pushing the limits (technically speaking) of the TV, and maybe in the future a larger vehicle might be a better choice. For now, I’m a happy camper.
Thank you, I’ve been waiting for someone to post with a Subaru Ascent. I also contemplated on getting the 19cb but didn’t like the bed room next to the bathroom, so we opted for the 20fb. It’s nice to hear that you didn’t have any issues in pulling the AS. However I decided to purchase a 1/2 ton truck instead with the idea of possibly upgrading to a larger AS in the future.
dowee_1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #143
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Subaru Ascent/smallish Airstream

I have now taken 2 more camping trips, short ones, and I have also decided to swap our 19CB for a little larger Airstream with a different bed configuration. So I’m looking for a pickup. You are spot on with your concerns about the bedroom/bathroom issue. I am too old to fight with having to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night anymore. That’s for younger folks than me. I’m retired and my wife is supporting me now. I told her she can’t retire for a few more years now cause she has to fund our toys. She just glared.
Good luck in your travels.
JMcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #144
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcin View Post
I have now taken 2 more camping trips, short ones, and I have also decided to swap our 19CB for a little larger Airstream with a different bed configuration. So I’m looking for a pickup. You are spot on with your concerns about the bedroom/bathroom issue. I am too old to fight with having to crawl out of bed in the middle of the night anymore. That’s for younger folks than me. I’m retired and my wife is supporting me now. I told her she can’t retire for a few more years now cause she has to fund our toys. She just glared.
Good luck in your travels.
Hi

Even if it involves some fairly long drives, figure out a way to actually see and sit in and play in the trailers you are thinking about. There are a lot of little issues that only become apparent after being in this or that model for a while.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote