Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
it happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowee_1223 View Post
I would love to have the F-150. But I just purchased my Subaru 6 months ago. At the time I wasn’t planning on towing a trailer. My friend convinced me to get an AS so we can go camping with them. Hind sight, I would’ve shopped for a 1/2 ton truck instead of a small SUV. I owned a Tundra before so I know at 1/2 ton would do the job
dowee, whatever you do, don't shoulda-coulda-woulda yourself into having no fun or giving up on the camping with friends idea. While potentially a PITA and fiscally "sub-optimal" - all this process is solid learning. I hope you find a safe solution that includes an Airstream!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rosemead , California
So the AS dealership told me that the 520 tongue weight is based on a loaded trailer (5000 lbs). So I may have some wiggle room as long as I don’t max out the trailer.
dowee_1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
I would not tow with any vehicle that has a CVT.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I’ll take a different tack, and say that it’s quite possible to tow safely and reliably with the Ascent.

The Ascent is a substantial vehicle with a 4500 lb curb weight. You will need to “push” the tongue weight limit a bit, but Curt makes a Class 3 receiver rated for 750 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. The car has unit body construction, but that’s a plus for weight distributing because this design has greater torsional rigidity than body on frame construction. Also, Subarus have a reputation for being strong - ask a firefighter that’s had to cut one open after an accident.

The engine is a turbocharged flat-four with lots of power and torque. It will be noisy, perhaps, but it will do the job. The CVT is a potential liability, and you will need to mitigate the risk of failure with more frequent fluid changes.

The basic message here is that your practical and economical family vehicle can be set up to do the job of towing a smaller Airstream as long as you adjust your performance expectations. Forty years ago larger Airstreams were being towed with full size cars with similar torque, less horsepower, lower curb weight, and less-developed suspension systems.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:54 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
So the AS dealership told me that the 520 tongue weight is based on a loaded trailer (5000 lbs). So I may have some wiggle room as long as I don’t max out the trailer.

Have them use a scale to weigh it in front of you with the fresh water tank full. I guarantee it exceeds published weight. If I’m wrong, I’ll send you beer to drink on your first trip.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:33 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
DO NOT trust the dealership on this. Verify independently for yourself. Dealership has a vested interest in selling you a trailer and will bend (sometimes break) the truth to make that happen. Ask me how I know...

You can never have too much tow vehicle but it is dangerous for yourself and others on the road to have too little.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I’m pulling my 30bunk with an F150. I store all of my heavy items in the rear hatch. With the Hensley Arrow WD hitch installed, I’m sitting at 890lbs on the tongue. Going by AS specs and everyone’s opinion, I should be sitting around 1100lbs. I don’t know where Dowee’s tanks are located, but my guess is above the axle which won’t increase tongue weight. My setup is rock solid, the trailer has no control of my vehicle...none. If I slam on the breaks, it’s remains one solid unit. If Dowee balances the trailer properly and uses the correct WD hitch and brake controller. He can make it work and be safe at the same time. I’m very familiar with CVT’s, I have actually re-built one. It might be hard on the CVT...might not be, it all depends on how its driven...repeated hard acceleration is your enemy. I’m suggesting a Pro Pride or Hensley Hitch, yes they cost an obscene amount. Now that I have towed with a high end WD hitch and now a Hensley. They are two completely different animals. They are not the same or close. A hensley or ProPride will provide a very solid setup.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
No, you'll need a 450 for sure with that 25'r. ��
Mines big too.��

Bob
Bob, thanks for the upgrade TV recommendation.
If I was a Ford guy, I would go with the F-550, for that extra safety margin.
The F-450 is only rated to tow a 18,000 pound trailer, I believe...
Old 04-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #29
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
The dealer is not correct. How could they project what the loaded tongue weight will be when they don't know how you will be loading the AS? On a Bambi 19' the brochure states the hitch weight as "525 (with LP and Batteries)".
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:46 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
As noted, the advertised TW is for a "dry" trailer - as delivered from the factory. Once you put your stuff in the trailer, it will go up. Also as noted, you want a TW of 10-15% of actual trailer weight. If you are under that weight, don't drive over 35 mph. Speed and low tongue weight result in sway. Sway will put your tow vehicle and trailer in the ditch or worse.
Thanks.
You want that tongue weight close to 15%.
Of course you will see people in here say everything will be fine with this proposed rig.
Let me add to that, " Everything is fine, until suddenly it isnt" with too small of a tow vehicle, which is the cases here.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You are going to be over the recommended tongue weight by a good bit after you add the WD hitch and load the trailer. You are going to be pulling a trailer with a good bit of wind resistance both frontal and sideways. Something like a Ford Expedition would handle it well, I think. Me, I would trade the Subaru right away.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
Bob, thanks for the upgrade TV recommendation.
If I was a Ford guy, I would go with the F-550, for that extra safety margin.
The F-450 is only rated to tow a 18,000 pound trailer, I believe...
I love it when the emphasis bends toward the mine's bigger TV and ignores the lash-up.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-02-2021, 08:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
My 23' is listed with a tongue weight of 600 lbs., unit base weight of 4500 lbs., dry weight, no options. With it unloaded from a trip, water and holding tanks empty, 1 propane tank at about 3/4 and the other empty, 2 group 24 batteries, tongue weight is 730 lbs. That's before we put clothes and food in it.

There are things you are going to have in your AS all the time, like tools, dishes, chairs, spare parts, etc. You will never be near your dry weight. You'll have to always think about how to "balance" things by putting stuff in the back (dangerous) or moving stuff to the front or leaving things behind. There are times when you will need to travel with fresh water and filled holding tanks.

You are going to be worrying about your family's safety as you white knuckle down the road. Why ruin your adventure with worry? Do it right the first time. Bite the bullet, go with a smaller AS or a larger tow vehicle and enjoy the drive.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I’m pulling my 30bunk with an F150. I store all of my heavy items in the rear hatch. With the Hensley Arrow WD hitch installed, I’m sitting at 890lbs on the tongue. Going by AS specs and everyone’s opinion, I should be sitting around 1100lbs. I don’t know where Dowee’s tanks are located, but my guess is above the axle which won’t increase tongue weight. My setup is rock solid, the trailer has no control of my vehicle...none. If I slam on the breaks, it’s remains one solid unit. If Dowee balances the trailer properly and uses the correct WD hitch and brake controller. He can make it work and be safe at the same time. I’m very familiar with CVT’s, I have actually re-built one. It might be hard on the CVT...might not be, it all depends on how its driven...repeated hard acceleration is your enemy. I’m suggesting a Pro Pride or Hensley Hitch, yes they cost an obscene amount. Now that I have towed with a high end WD hitch and now a Hensley. They are two completely different animals. They are not the same or close. A hensley or ProPride will provide a very solid setup.
No doubt those are good hitches but they weigh about 200 pounds. So the OP would have to get the trailer tongue weight to 300.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
No doubt those are good hitches but they weigh about 200 pounds. So the OP would have to get the trailer tongue weight to 300.
If 200lb is too much...It's definitely time to look for a more capable TV.
Two cases of beer and three daze food and you'd be overweight and have to choose, kids, DW, clothes, or go naked 'cuz the beer is more important.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Hi dowee, we have a similar capacity Honda with 5,000 lbs towing and a tongue capacity of up to 600 lbs (this capacity can go down to 480 lbs with more people in the Honda)

We picked up a new 2019 22FB last year. The specs were what we thought to be well under our Honda's ability to safely tow. Our trailer has a sticker weight of 3,634 lbs empty and a tongue weight of 420 lbs. So no problem for the Honda. Then we picked up a hitch scale and found the tongue weight was sitting at 500 lbs. We don't have much stuff in the trailer and most of our camping items are in the closet which is behind the axle. We don't carry anything in the tanks.

It is very easy to exceed the published numbers provided by Airstream and the best way to keep tabs on your true weights are with a tongue scale and visits to a CAT scale.

I am one to say that I think is possible to tow safely with your Subaru but your 19CB might not be a good match with the higher tongue weight. Add the additional weight of a WDH that you will want to level out your combo and you could be pushing over 700 lbs before you know it.

Moving items to the rear of the trailer would not be helpful as it can create other issues with stability and fishtailing of the trailer if you lighten up the tongue too much.

We are concerned about each others safety which is why we offer these comments. We have all been where you are and had to make decisions mostly on the info laid out in-front of us which we see can be misleading.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:18 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rosemead , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
Hi dowee, we have a similar capacity Honda with 5,000 lbs towing and a tongue capacity of up to 600 lbs (this capacity can go down to 480 lbs with more people in the Honda)

We picked up a new 2019 22FB last year. The specs were what we thought to be well under our Honda's ability to safely tow. Our trailer has a sticker weight of 3,634 lbs empty and a tongue weight of 420 lbs. So no problem for the Honda. Then we picked up a hitch scale and found the tongue weight was sitting at 500 lbs. We don't have much stuff in the trailer and most of our camping items are in the closet which is behind the axle. We don't carry anything in the tanks.

It is very easy to exceed the published numbers provided by Airstream and the best way to keep tabs on your true weights are with a tongue scale and visits to a CAT scale.

I am one to say that I think is possible to tow safely with your Subaru but your 19CB might not be a good match with the higher tongue weight. Add the additional weight of a WDH that you will want to level out your combo and you could be pushing over 700 lbs before you know it.

Moving items to the rear of the trailer would not be helpful as it can create other issues with stability and fishtailing of the trailer if you lighten up the tongue too much.

We are concerned about each others safety which is why we offer these comments. We have all been where you are and had to make decisions mostly on the info laid out in-front of us which we see can be misleading.
PB_NB, the AS dealership called me and recommended the 22FB over the 19cb simply because of the lesser hitch weight. They also said the 16 is probably the best choice,. I see that your towing with a ridgeline. I didn’t know the hitch weight on that is 600. How do you like it? I want a bigger trailer, but I may have to downsize to a 16 footer
dowee_1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
PB_NB, the AS dealership called me and recommended the 22FB over the 19cb simply because of the lesser hitch weight. They also said the 16 is probably the best choice,. I see that your towing with a ridgeline. I didn’t know the hitch weight on that is 600. How do you like it? I want a bigger trailer, but I may have to downsize to a 16 footer
Honestly the hitch weight on the 16 with the additional of even a modest weight distribution hitch will far exceed the limit of your Subaru. Your really aren’t going to have a pleasant experience with a 16 either.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:53 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
How much of that 200 pound ProPride is cargo and not tongue weight? How would that impact this discussion?
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
How much of that 200 pound ProPride is cargo and not tongue weight? How would that impact this discussion?
None...TW will change with load but doesn't move.

Bob
🇺🇸