Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
Hitch shootout: WeighSafe

Heres a well done shootout from last year and various well known hitches

https://youtu.be/M8eY-qbtuJU

The second best hitch in his opinion is the WeighSafe at around $1000. This looks good to me, I like the features and the app that makes it easy. Its pretty heavy (Ill have somewhat limited truck hauling capacity) but considering the best hitch is more than twice the price I dog with this.

Any opinions on the hitch and shootout?
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
No offense, but I don’t think it’s particularly well done, felt more high-school level. If you’re wanting to emphasize performance, I’d have expected to see some quantitative methodology of measuring different aspects of evaluating them.

For these different hitches, different bars are usually needed, depending on the trailer: if you look at Blue Ox’s guides, they’d recommend the SwayPro for a heavier trailer but the TrackPro for a lighter one: with this trailer, the TrackPro is probably not one to consider, and heavier bars were needed for the SwayPro if it is porpoising. He may have towed with them all, but that doesn’t mean he’s selected the correct bars, etc., for each.

With a 2500 as the TV, and a heavy SOB as the trailer used, little of his examples may be relevant. Many people think a 2500 doesn’t even need a WD hitch. Using a 1500 might have revealed more about how well each hitch is actually doing. With my trailer at only 2/3rds the weight of his, with better aerodynamics, there will be substantial differences. Also, he never addressed what the tongue weights were of each, what the balance of the trailer is, many important aspects were unaddressed.

Sure, I use a SwayPro. Is it perfect? I think the durability of the finish is disappointing, that it should handle weather exposure better. But in most situations, it’s solid. Very high winds, that would have been rocking my Sierra anyway, yup, I slowed my butt down, and proceeded on down the road. Do I think a ProPride would better eliminate more sway? Yup. But for my 20’ AS, I think it’d be overkill, for me. If I had a larger AS, if I was a full timer, I probably would go up to a ProPride, but I’d also go up to a 2500. But w/ a 1500, and a 20’ camper, I don’t think I’m going to change….
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Another Hitch Options - Hitch Battles

Another hitch option to consider:

Looking forward to hearing other’s opinions on the hitches in this battle.
Big Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
WD Hitch Too Stiff?

One of the primary criteria used in this review was the stiffness of the overall system - no sway and no porpoising. However, is this appropriate criteria? The following thread suggests that too stiff of hitch system may damage your Airstream. A little porpoising may not be a bad thing.

Is this correct?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ml#post2517193
Old 10-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Hitch Set-Up Expert

See comments regarding tapered bars.