Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2022, 01:51 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 26
Jonesborough , Tennessee
Hitch question

Hello Everybody,
We are new to the journey. We are retired and recently purchased a 26 ft Argosy from the local 2nd owner. it's original expect for paint. Can anyone tell me what my options are for rebuilding the hitch lock on the coupling. It seems to be working okay except for where a lock would be inserted, the through hole is worn and would not be secure to thieves. I know i could weld and repair but am curious to what is available for new components to rebuild or repair.

Also, is the ball size 2 5/16?

Thanks
Anne&Bill
Hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
First, welcome to Air Forums. Glad to have you here and I look forward to hearing more about your Argosy.

If the hitch lever is worn, my concern wouldn't be preventing theft. My concern would be does it latch securely enough to be safe and stay connected to the ball.

Can you post a photo of the problem you're seeing so others can offer suggestions? There are repair kits for some hitches, but not all.

If you are interested in finding a way to secure your trailer there are a few recent threads about this. Try using the search box up above using a search term of something like "tongue lock".

Myself, I use a Proven Industries lock whenever the trailer is not hitched to the tow vehicle.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #3

1976 Argosy 26
Jonesborough , Tennessee
Thanks
Old 09-18-2022, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Richard covered it well except, yes it is a 2 5/16" ball. You can also get the coupler replaced if needed, at 46 years old it might be time.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 07:15 AM   #5

1976 Argosy 26
Jonesborough , Tennessee
Thanks. I have considered replacing the entire coupler and could do that myself given I'm a certified to do so. Although it looks to be in great shape except for the the bent tab where the pin goes through the tongue latch once it's closed to secure the ball. I'm definitely going to investigate more but was hoping to get info on the top rated heavy duty replacement tongue lock. Thanks
Old 12-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
As far as replacement parts, the coupler and repair parts are discontinued.

The latch locks are not very secure even in the best situations though, instead I suggest multiple low priced options as quantity seems to dissuade would be thefts and encourage them to go elsewhere. Thieves tend to drag the trailer away slowly on the safety chains without hooking it to the ball, if the ball and latch locks can't easily be defeated. A latch lock, a ball lock, wheel chock locks and chains removed or locked to a fixed object all combined would be the way to go if the trailer is completely unattended.

For towing security/safety it would be best to shore up the latch holes so the latch somehow held firmly closed with no play, and can't pop open on the road, so you may want to improve the latch anyway.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote