Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Saint Augustine , Florida
Hitch Locks

Still getting set up for our first trip. Someone made the remark the other day that I should lock the hitch pin on my recvr so someone did not walk away with that part of my hitch ( I have a propride ), so I bought a small padlock with a 3/16 shank on it and locked the pin. Technically that locked it but wouldn't protect it too much from someone with a bolt cutter. Now I find out that "hitch pins with built in locks exist". So after spending about 20 minutes on amazon looking at the different locked hitch pins, all I can say that I could not find one that did not have negative feedback mostly with the locks seizing, getting stuck or the entire pin rusting. Any suggestions on a pin that doesn't do any of those nasty things ?
accordionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Not that I have found
I think what you did may be best
Someone mentioned drilling a larger hole in existing pin to be able to use a larger lock
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I remember the other thread, which made me wonder: Am I the only person who removes the hitch and stores it when parked at the campsite?
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
hitch Locks

We typically don't unhitch at intermediate stops, but do at destination. I pull the ProPride stinger out of the truck and store it away when unhitched because it is a shin destroyer... I do lock the hitch pin just to prevent casual tampering/sabotage.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
hitch pin removal

I thought about removing the hitch when I'm not going to be hooking up to the AS, but I remember when I rcvd the shipment from Propride. Those two pieces were in one box ! They are not exactly light weight and honestly with my back, I'm not sure I wanted to be messing removing and re inserting that hitch in the back of the truck. That being said, I HAVE been able to avoid meeting that "spear" by accident so far, but I'm sure it has its eyes peeled for me.

I can't even imagine what that'll do to someone's car if they rear end me.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I use this BoltLock because it uses my tow vehicle key so I don't have to carry yet another key. The corrosion problems don't bother me because if I am not towing, the hitch and lock are stored away. Note that you have to order the one made for your tow vehicle key.

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
I use this BoltLock because it uses my tow vehicle key so I don't have to carry yet another key. The corrosion problems don't bother me because if I am not towing, the hitch and lock are stored away. Note that you have to order the one made for your tow vehicle key.

2nd vote for the BoltLock.

I only remove my hitch at home. I keep a receiver with a shackle in place instead for quick rescue missions.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
bolt lock

Wanted to look closer at this "boltlock" so I went to the link you sent, but all I get when I put my TV particulars in is a replacement bolt ? ? It doesn't look anything like what is on the plastic blister pak card.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Surprisingly enough there are multiple sizes of pin out there. Something like a F-250 takes a different length pin than a F-150.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Illinois has law that hitch must be removed when not towing I think other states have same law, but not enforced, but some one gets hurt or any thing damaged by hitch not removed you are responsible and could get expensive, but same old story do as I say not what I do as I'm some times guilty of not removing. I had some one back into me w/hitch not removed doing some damage, was expensive for person as there Insurance did not cover as violation of law. Lucky I was present when happened as he tried to leave but police had some thing to say about failure to remove. I'm thinking about boltlock keyed to truck.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
against the law ?

I'm not surprised that leaving that on would be illegal, not to mention dangerous. The part that remains on the truck with the Propride is massive and protrudes from the back quite a bit. It's already caught me once in the shin. I'm going to try taking it off when I'm not towing.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I went with the DeadBolt.
After much comparison, I wanted something made in the USA, and I found the Tundra needed a longer lock not because it had a 2 1/2" receiver, but rather the receiver is wrapped in another layer of steel, so the generic 2" x 5/8" pin is too short.
It's also a class 5 so it's rated at 10,000 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31IDWF9obCL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	288908  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordionman View Post
I'm not surprised that leaving that on would be illegal, not to mention dangerous. The part that remains on the truck with the Propride is massive and protrudes from the back quite a bit. It's already caught me once in the shin. I'm going to try taking it off when I'm not towing.
I always remove mine. It's part of my routine. I'm cheap enough that I don't want to pay the fuel cost of leaving it on. So it gets stored in the trailer.
At home, it has to be off, garage door won't close otherwise.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Is theft much of a problem with hitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam205 View Post
I always remove mine. It's part of my routine. I'm cheap enough that I don't want to pay the fuel cost of leaving it on. So it gets stored in the trailer.
At home, it has to be off, garage door won't close otherwise.
I'm always one to lock things up, having grown up in the Chicago area, but I find the hitch head so heavy that, 1) I don't want to put it in the trailer trunk and, 2) I figure anyone wanting to run off with the thing would be getting a hernia for something that's of little or no value to them.

I've generally taken the hitch off after putting a cover on the ball and a garbage bag on the whole assembly, then sticking it under the a frame.

We have a lot of experience with sob trailers (years ago) and have never had a problem. Has this been a widespread problem more recently? Let me know. Maybe I should put a cable lock on the thing when leaving the trailer?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hitch Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
After much comparison, I wanted something made in the USA, and I found the Tundra needed a longer lock not because it had a 2 1/2" receiver, but rather the receiver is wrapped in another layer of steel, so the generic 2" x 5/8" pin is too short.
It's also a class 5 so it's rated at 10,000 pounds.

Heh, that's the one I had to drill out the other day---was not real easy, but the right drill bet cut it easily. Sigh. Now I need another one.

The Tacoma receiver is also wrapped. Needs a long one as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:58 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I went with this since I got a new truck and needed a longer pin; I like matching keys. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
A word of caution to all of those who think the hitch locks are real security. When my FIL died, my wife inherited his Silverado. He had a hitch bar with a ball on it in his receiver with a locking 5/8" hitch pin. Of course, there was no key anywhere. I took a reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade and cut through the pin right at the base of the lock in about 20 seconds.

This also applies to me as I have the BoltLock, myself.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Illinois has law that hitch must be removed when not towing I think other states have same law, but not enforced, .......
Hi

At least around here, roughly 90% of the trucks you see are in violation of that law. Some are in violation on both the front and back of the truck. A few are in violation multiple ways on the back of the truck.

It would not be the first time PA was a bit out of step with "normal rules". It also could easily be yet another law that never gets enforced.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

My hitch pin lock looks a lot like that one. It was supplied with my AS when I picked it up at Colonial.

My routine is to store the stinger in an outer compartment. Yes it's heavy.

If for some reason I'll have it on the truck for a short time, or while hitching up, I'll put a WalMart Orange Sports Cone on the end of it. (I painted the stinger gray, which helped to see it in the rear view mirror, too. The real improvement was when I painted the PP receiver box in white. I find this really gives me an aiming point.)
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since I'm the poster child for misplaced keys, my rule of thumb is the key for the hitch lock never leaves the truck. Not in my pocket or resting on the bumper. It lives in the console with the key to the U-lock on the generator and the key to the storage room.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote