Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Twilight Zone... Lubers?

A one pound container of good Wheel Bearing Grease will last you longer than you will own your Airstream.

One tub with the plastic lid included at no additional charge. No Lithium, it will dry out after a couple years. No tubes. No special Tow Ball Lube. Nothing expensive. One Pound will last years.

Wear a throw away rubber glove to apply into the Trailer's cup.

Apply some onto the TOP of the Ball.

Have a Roll of Paper Towels to clean up the mess you make. You use enough to lubricate the sides as when you set the Ball into the Trailer's Cup, the grease will be compress. If you have grease squeezing out the sides... too much.

The ball is hard metal. It will eventually seat into the trailer's cup. When you disconnect... take paper towels, wipe out the Trailer's Cup and wipe off the Ball.

This Wheel Bearing Grease lasts thousands of miles in your wheel bearings.

I have never wore out a Ball. They will wear and seat into the Trailer's Cup perfectly after the first trip. The excess grease does not collect sand, dirt or mud. Just wipe off the Ball, clean the Cup. It is protected with the tight fit of the ball into the cup. The black is wear and that will diminish over the break in period.

The compression onto the well fitted Ball that is not set well with the Hitch / Ball setting will squeeze any excess out the bottom and wasted.

This is not Rocket Science. Some use to say WAX Paper was good. ??? What?

Wife says it is time for breakfast. I am not proof reading what I have written.

Wheel Bearing Grease. The green stuff for wheel bearings is excellent. With graphite or whatever else is for Wheel Bearing high temperatures and heavy loads. Used on a Trailer Ball is not even close.

If you go to some 'special' ball grease... this is called... profit to the seller. Keep it simple. Like my post. Twilight Zone Lubers. They are everywhere.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:38 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
At the begining of the season, I put together 30-50 cheap ziplock 4" snack bags with a finger dab of multipurpose grease in each bag. I keep a "grease bag" on the ball and slip the rubber ball cover over the ball. When I hitch up, I remove the rubber ball cover, leaving the "grease bag" in place, then hitch up. When I unhitch, I carefully remove the now destroyed "grease bag", wipe the ball with a paper towel and install a fresh "grease bag" and rubber ball cover. Ball is clean, greased and ready to go.
Alovlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #23
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
I think that more important than which grease you use is how often you clean it off and reapply. The grease is going to be a dust/grit magnet, and left alone in the grease it will turn it into a grinding compound rather than a lubricant.

We've gotten into the habit of wiping things down to remove as much of the grease as possible after each trip out, and then spraying with degreaser like carb cleaner up inside the hitch coupler. Once it's dried, I use spray grease on the inside of the coupler where the working bits are so things move smoothly, and then the Reese grease on the hitch ball itself. I do the same for the small balls on the anti-sway friction bar.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Had an Excellent Breakfast... lubes my intestines

Those who notice their Wheel Bearing grease... lets say the green color... is BLACK when you disconnect. The grease did its job. Lubricates and... guess what the Black is?

I use to restore antique slot machines. The castings were aluminum. I would have the castings stripped of any paint and I had a large buffer, several kinds of buffing pads and would Polish the Castings. They looked like polished silver.

It took a microscopic layer of atoms off the oxidized greyish looking surface to get the Silver Mirror finish, I wanted.

The buffing pads were... BLACK. That black is not hurting your Trailer Ball and Coupler. This is fine atomic sized particles of the metals.

The black is microscopic steel and nickel and chrome. Silver when polished is BLACK as an example. It is not dust, cosmic particles from Outer Space. Nickel is BLACK when microscopic in a polish.

If you see a trailer ball that is rusty black, brown and grooved... this is a Moron. M. O. R. O. N. It is contagious. Wax Paper Dude? Maybe. Ruining his trailer's coupler and ball at the same time. One is inexpensive and the other very expensive to replace. You choose.

I have a supermarket bag to put the paper towel that I wipe down the Ball and Coupler. It is to keep from getting grease on everything. If you left the black grease on the ball, it is better than having no grease.

WD40 can be sprayed and clean the ball and coupler. If you like. I do that if I get bored and want to waste some time.

When your Coupler and Tow Ball break in... the grease is black. That is the polishing of the Ball and interior of the Coupler. When disconnected, take a paper towel and clean out the coupler. Then take off the rubber glove and feel the interior.

It will be SMOOTH and Polished. The Ball will show wear on the Equator... the center edge and diminish from the top to bottom. The Top.. you will note has very little wear. That is where the excess grease is at, as well. You will waste more grease by over doing the lubrication.

I never drive around with the Ball and Hitch. This is as dumb as people in Colorado with Ski Racks left on their vehicle in July. Nobody is impressed. I do not wear an Airstream hat or jacket. I want to remain Neanderthal.

Do not grease the noisy Sway Bar Slides. IT is friction that makes that work and if you grease them to make them quiet... you are probably ignoring everything I have bloviated about.

We are all born Ignorant. Some learn over time what to do. By the time you are old enough to know better... those who you explain how to do something will ignore you. Do not waste your time. Some have no interest in hearing about cheap inexpensive fixes. I do not care. Do not read my post, but it is already too late.

Wagons being pulled by a team of horses had a Grease Bucket. You are doing the same with modern Wheel Bearing Grease.

IF this is too difficult to understand, that is OK. Add the bicycle rack on the back and ski rack. Then the generator. TV satellite dish... and use a $8 tube of dried out white Lithium toothpaste. I will watch... and grab a beer.

(I love it when I can use a computer keyboard. I think slow, and type fast.)
Old 03-13-2023, 06:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Full disclosure, I formulate both drip and solid lubes for industry. The "problem" with wax lubricants which are exposed to wet environments is they are not durable. While it seems like a slick idea because it is so clean, there is a downside.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I don't 'lube' the ball on the Haha, just keep it clean and wipe it down every 2yrs with marine grease.
For the boat I grease the inside of a tennis ball.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E5CFA7E8-E05B-4D91-93C7-3E179B88A55E_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	429093  
Old 03-15-2023, 10:40 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
What are your Phobias?

Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Lubricants. Check them out.

Wheel Bearing Grease: High Heat and High Pressure Hydrophobic

Ball and Coupler Grease: Hydrophobic... of any kind, no problem

If the grease you have left over from 'packing your wheel bearings', use it on your Trailer's Coupler and Ball.

Cheaper the better if ONLY for the Ball & Coupler, as it is a temporary lubricant just to reduce friction. No heat issues.

Put some between your fingers. Rub them together. Keep rubbing them together until the grease disappears. I am not that patient. I will wipe excess grease off my fingers with a paper towel and use soap. Soap is a Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic substance. What????

Do not become a Sucker. When I was young I listened to 1965 WHB Radio 710 Rock and Roll Music broadcast in Kansas City and I was in Independence, Missouri. The neighbor, an adult, said listening to WHB would ruin my portable Radio. He said it without a smile. He was correct. The batteries needed to be replaced later that month. I was impressed. Adults are geniuses.

If you believe that... how about going to a Tire Shop to get 'Good Air' added to inflate your tires. Not the cheap air you get at home.

Cheap distilled bottled river water or Expensive mountain distilled bottled water?

OK. I have had my fun and self entertained myself after reading the Wall Street Journal.

Soon, Electric Vehicles will have to PAY extra fees / taxes, charging their batteries, like those of us using Petroleum Based Fuels. The mileage on the EV odometer will be accessed and you will get your surprise? The batteries I use in my flash light has Sales Tax on them, already. Just for needing light.

A cup and a half of hot good black coffee.... ahhhhh. You worry about high priced Silicon Lubricants and I am waiting for the Climate to Change in a month or two. Back to Off the Grid camping.

'Beating a Dead Horse'? Yep. ...and it was entertaining for me.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I use this...
I use the same as azflycaster, but only because it came in a small container that closes securely and was easy to pack and carry in the trailer. I agree that any grease, of any kind, will do.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 05:12 PM   #29
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Grease

I’ve owned 5 Airstreams and have been towing them around for 20+ years and have never greased a hitch ball.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Any wheel bearing grease would work, but I like the Equalizer brand grease as it comes in a small squeeze tube making it less messy and easier to apply.
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:13 AM   #31
shoreman

2007 20' Safari SE
Salisbury , Maryland
6”square of wax paper, fold in half twice, place on ball, hook up. No mess on clean up repeat as nessart
Dave Ziara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #32
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I use Lucas Red n' Tacky.

Lots of choices.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I like the Equal-i-zer brand grease, mainly because its packaged into a compact spill proof toothpaste tube like container. Most grease is the spray type, which splatters everywhere, or the tub with the snap on cover that seems to snap off while on the road and spill everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-9.../dp/B007HRGZDK
Agree. Very compact, convenient, not messy, and no waste. A single tube easily lasts a season for me and I clean the ball and add new grease every time I unhitch-rehitch.
WestieHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Tempe , Arizona
I use this too have for years works great. I wipe the ball clean with paper towels after unhooking and reapply thin coat prior to each hookup.
Engie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:58 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Those who notice their Wheel Bearing grease... lets say the green color... is BLACK when you disconnect. The grease did its job. Lubricates and... guess what the Black is?….
…….. [and many more…….😉]

(I love it when I can use a computer keyboard. I think slow, and type fast.)
Maybe the residual grease on your fingers has side benefits?

D2
Old 03-19-2023, 10:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
I’ve owned 5 Airstreams and have been towing them around for 20+ years and have never greased a hitch ball.
Observation: your Airstream cups last (on average) at least 5 years. (Probably longer, but your post doesn’t provide sufficient data to know.)
Questions: How many different hitch balls have you used in the 20+ years?
Old 03-19-2023, 11:44 AM   #37

2020 19' Bambi
Billings , Montana
trailer ball lubing

I use regular grease in a grease gun, works great. When not using the hitch I made a hitch box that the grease gun and Hitch fit into a box in back of the truck and I use disposable rubber gloves to handle both grease gun and hitch, and then when the hitch is not in use after installing it or taking it off I use of of the rubber gloves to cover the ball which keeps the mess of your pants. The best part is I have the grease gun available to lube the connections points on the sway control bars. This seems to work great for me. Happy trails.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:42 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieHouse View Post
Maybe the residual grease on your fingers has side benefits?

D2
You are correct. I have Seasonal Allergies.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Don’t matter what brand or how it is applied , just keep your balls greased
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I use Premium Toilet Tissue... optional uses

Premium Toilet Tissue. Inexpensive. Segmented or Not Segmented. Buy the 24 pack at Costco. Sometimes with $5 off when on sale.

Costco puts their name on the packaging... but it might be a 'premium' brand.

Since I am still using green Wheel Bearing Grease from the original purchase of the 2019 Airstream, I found an optional use for the Premium Toilet Tissue. Charmin?

It looks like a premium paper product to me. Works the same as inferior brands. I am satisfied with my purchase,

It is soft. It makes me smile.

Wax paper is not a practical option for any optional uses that I can imagine. Cookies, yes. Trailer's, no.

I cannot carry a roll of wax paper around while Hiking or Camping off the grid. Does not fit into any pocket and not segmented. Common Sense is learned. I learned. Wax is difficult to remove. Lighter fluid? Gives me goosebumps.