Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2004, 02:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Hitch 4 Tundra, I'm confused!

In reading all the posts pairing the Tundra with the correct hitch (ours is 2001 V8 access cab 4WD) I am now more than confused as our unit has arrived (Bambi 19'CCD) and need to purchase hitch this weekend for dealer to install.

I will use Reese, dealer doesn't use that brand (he uses Iron Eagle) so will need to purchase correct model that would be best for this truck. I went to the Reese web site and there are so many, I have no clue where to start but know Dual Cam is mentioned everywhere in these posts. There is a Dual Cam HP, is this better? Is Dual Cam a weight distribution system? (I do need that according to manual). Is that the same thing as an equalizer hitch?? All I know is I don't want holes drilled in trailer, and if there is one that has no chains that is good too according to posts...but I really have no idea as I am not understanding much even after reading...I feel like an overloaded hard drive .

Husband is out of town so will purchase this tomorrow to have ready for install early next week. We are new to towing AS and both clueless at this point, learning everything I can right here. Only towed 2 horses before and not nearly as much to worry about!

Also, the mirrors on the Tundra are not that big and everyone mentions McKesh. Do those attach to the stock Tundra mirrors? I have read posts that laws in some states require you to see 200ft behind trailer, how do you all achieve this? Toyota makes no other mirror so hopefully others with Tundra can help me out here, as I know these mirrors do not extend out and will have blind spots.

Thanks to all who can offer advice here, it will be greatly appreciated

Barbara
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Dual cam is a sway control. It's a extra. It will work with most of the WD hitches up to 1,200 lb of tounge weight.

What you want is a Reese Weight distributing (WD) hitch system with load/torsion bars raeted for your tounge weight. This is above and bewon the receiver hitch that will be attached to the truck. Best thing to do is get the receiver installed and really as long as that meets the weight requirements it doesn't matter the brand. Then once this hitch is on you want to get a WD hitch and draw bar that will accomidate a 18-19 ball hight with the reciever on the truck and work with the Dual cam if thats the sway control you want to use.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
In reading all the posts pairing the Tundra with the correct hitch (ours is 2001 V8 access cab 4WD) I am now more than confused as our unit has arrived (Bambi 19'CCD) and need to purchase hitch this weekend for dealer to install.

I will use Reese, dealer doesn't use that brand (he uses Iron Eagle) so will need to purchase correct model that would be best for this truck. I went to the Reese web site and there are so many, I have no clue where to start but know Dual Cam is mentioned everywhere in these posts. There is a Dual Cam HP, is this better? Is Dual Cam a weight distribution system? (I do need that according to manual). Is that the same thing as an equalizer hitch?? All I know is I don't want holes drilled in trailer, and if there is one that has no chains that is good too according to posts...but I really have no idea as I am not understanding much even after reading...I feel like an overloaded hard drive .

Husband is out of town so will purchase this tomorrow to have ready for install early next week. We are new to towing AS and both clueless at this point, learning everything I can right here. Only towed 2 horses before and not nearly as much to worry about!

Also, the mirrors on the Tundra are not that big and everyone mentions McKesh. Do those attach to the stock Tundra mirrors?

Barbara
Barbara,
Your Tundra may well have come with the hitch receiver on it. It attaches to the back underside of the Tundra and has a 2" square hole opening below the bumper. Reese and others make this.

Then you need a hitch drop bar with ball mount for your weight requirements. This inserts into above. Next you need a weight distribution system to transfer weight to the front axle. The bars are rated for 600, 800 or 1000 lbs. You will need I think the 800lb.

I have the reese dual cam sway control. The HP is the newer high performance and I am not familiar with this one.

This is a one time setup and works very well. It is important to have the wt dist bars level when loaded and the trailer level as well. The drop bar is important for this leveling so get an adjustable drop bar that gives you 4 levels to work with. The ball also needs to be angled about 15 degrees back to allow the torqued wt dist bars to be about level when set.

You may want to have the dealer set it up for you as there are several interplaying parts to work with. I did my own, just takes a little time the first time and understanding the setup.

There are instructions on the internet as well as in this forum (do a search on reese dual cam)

The McKesh mirrors are detachable and are top quality. They allow very good (and necessary) visiblilty. You can find mirrors that attach to the Tundra mirrors and some are satisfied with those. I think many opt for the McKesh latter....
Don't settle for 'whatever the dealer has to sell', go for the recomendations of this group. It's worth it!
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Barbara, I have a Tundra and recently went thru this exercise so I may be able to help. The 19' Bambi CCD has a tongue weight of 425 lbs. and a dry weight of 3770 lbs. according to the Airstream website.

Most of the Receiver Hitches made for the Tundra are rated 500 lbs for tongue weight and 5000 lbs. trailer weight. These numbers are written on the hitch someplace.

What this means, is you can pull the 19' CCD without a weight distribution hitch. In other words, you can just buy an insert for the receiver hitch and a ball. I've pulled my previous trailer (which was an "Award 23" and about the same weight as the 19' CCD) many thousands of miles in complete comfort and in complete control. I did use sway control, but it came with the trailer. This will work for your trailer.

If you feel the Tundra rides too much butt down and headlights aimed at the sky, you can purchase a weight distribution hitch to reduce butt drag and lower the headlight aim back to the proper location.

Weight distribution hitches are sized for the trailer involved. Reeses' smallest, lightest weight, distribution hitch is designed for trailers with tongue weights up to 600 lbs and total weight up to 10,000 lbs. As you can tell, your trailer is way lighter than the maximums for this hitch. This Reese is model: R66020 and is referred to as a Trunnion Bar Weight Distribution Hitch. Sway control is only needed on one side of the hitch for a trailer as light weight as the 19' CCD. If you go with a weight distribution hitch, have them set it up for a light weight trailer, otherwise, the truck and the trailer will ride quite stiffly, which is totally unnecessary! It would be very easy for the lightest weight Reese weight distribution hitch to be set too stiff for your trailer weight.

You will also need to add a brake controller, a component which will activate the trailer brakes when the Tundra's brakes are applied, and you will need to add a trailer wiring plug to the Tundra. Most modern travel trailers use the same type wiring plug wired in the same way.

As for mirrors, I haven't found a solution. I tow a lot, 25,000 miles last year, and have considered the McKesh, but I worry about damage to the door where they mount. For now, I'm using the CIPA Universal clamp-ons. To me, If the Tundra comes with a towing package, that package should include suitable mirrors necessary to meet the most restrictive state laws on towing mirrors.

Hope this helps! Enjoy..
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Hi Barbara, When we were towing with a Tundra (last year with our 22' CCD) we used a Reese Dual Cam. And still do. No holes will need to be drilled in your trailer (tongue) for the installation. You will have chains though. You will have safety chains and the chains that adjust your spring bars. I'm not aware of any issues with that arrangement. We ended up getting Cipa universal towing mirrors. They are probably not as functional as the McKesh mirrors, but easier to install and remove and don't hook into the window gasket. You could probably call another AS dealer like Oasis in Tucson. They can tell you the parts you'll need (they have a toll free number). Ask for Rick or Jay.
Ken
Old 08-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Barbara!

When considering a Reese hitch setup, the Reese Strait-Line Hitch includes the Dual Cam System and is usually a good way to purchase the Dual Cam system when beginning the towing experience. You will likely find the 600 pound system ideal for your new CCD. I suspect that your 19' CCD will likely have a gross hitch weight of nearly 600 pounds as my 6.0 Metre Minuet has slightly more than 550 pounds on its hitch when fully loaded for an extended trip. The weight distribution bars need to be fairly closely matched to the hitch weight of the coach for the Dual Cam system to be at its most effective - - I use it with both my 6.0 Metre Minuet (3,100 pounds gross trailer weight/550 pounds gross hitch weight) and 26' Overlander (6,100 pounds gross trailer weight/750 pounds gross hitch weight). When towing with my car, I use 600 pound bars with the Minuet and 800 pound bars with the Overlander; with the Suburban, I use 500 pound bars with the Minuet (these were from the old light weight system sold by Reese in the late 1970s) and 700 pound bars with the Overlander (these bars were evidently from a source other than Reese but fit the Reese hitch head).

The one issue that may cause you some trouble is getting the correct drawbar when purchasing your Reese system since it will be through a dealer other than the one from whom you are purchasing your trailer. You will likely need a fairly deep drop on the drawbar, but there are several from which to choose. To get some idea, you can park your Tundra on level ground and measure from the top of the receiver opening to the ground to determine the amount of drop that will be necessary to get the top of the ball at the measurement specified by Airstream (probably something between 17.25" and 18.75") - - my guess is that you will likely need about a 4.25" drop with a 1/2-ton truck-based vehicle if 2-WD or as much as 6.25" if you have 4-WD. When ordering the hitch system, there may be a slight upcharge for a drawbar other than the basic drawbar that is included with the package.

If you want to avoid drilling holes into the hitch of your coach, you will want to stick with the "classic" Dual Cam system that attaches to the hitch utilizing large "U" bolts - - just be aware that the bracketry MAY interfere with the LP tank mounting system (I didn't have any particular problem with either of my Vintage coaches, but several with late model coaches have reported needing to move the LP tank base plate to secure the necessary clearance for the "U" bolts). The High Performance Dual Cam system requires drilling either two or three mounting holes into each of the "A" frame hitch rails. With either Dual Cam system, once it is installed the only adjustment that is needed is to be sure that the spring bars are properly adjusted for the loaded weight of the trailer.

If you plan on towing any great distances in heavy traffic, you won't regret going with the McKesh Trailer Towing Mirrors. I have used both the CIPA slip-on mirror as well as the McKesh and an earlier style mirror that clamped onto the front fenders of the towcar. The McKesh are by far the best for today's driving conditions (IMHO) - - they are available with a widely adjustable reach that permits their use with widebody coaches towed by narrower tow vehicles. Even with my Suburban and Vintage coaches (Minuet 7.0' wide and Overlander 7' 8" wide) I still found the CIPA mirror to lack the necessary reach to be truly functional in heavy traffic - - I have been absolutely thrilled with my McKesh mirrors and have used them since 1998 for ALL of my towing.

If you anticipate wishing to do any solo hitching of your coach, you might also find a Hitch Spotter Mirror to be helpful. As a Free Wheeler, I have used one of these mirrors for more than 20 years and it saves many headaches, and lessens the chances of damaging the tow vehicle or trailer hitch during the hitching operation.

Good luck with your hitch setup!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Wow, thanks to all who responded here, it is just what I needed to help understand some of this stuff to make a decision and show our dealer what others have used, especially with the Tundra and a light trailer set up.

I did talk to him today and in his opinion the Reese Dual Cam set up is overkill, but will install it if that's what I want for an extra charge. I do know from the forum this brand is most widely used in the medium price range and most everyone seems satisfied with their set up which is good enough for me. I know he's a good dealer and wouldn't set me up with something that wasn't appropriate but I am stuck on this brand after reading all the posts here, and there are many.

Thanks again everyone, you guys have been a great help
Old 08-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Barbara!

When considering a Reese hitch setup, the Reese Strait-Line Hitch includes the Dual Cam System and is usually a good way to purchase the Dual Cam system when beginning the towing experience. You will likely find the 600 pound system ideal for your new CCD. I suspect that your 19' CCD will likely have a gross hitch weight of nearly 600 pounds

Kevin
After researching the posts here I've told the dealer to check out this system as it has everything in one unit. I also know this will involve drilling holes but after reading about the U bars interfering with lp tanks, this at least avoids that problem.

Okay, so if the hitch is rated 500lbs for toungue weight and 5000lbs trailer weight and I go with this above set up using a 600lb system, is this receiver going to work? Also, will this fit the Reese equipment as the inside of this receiver is 2" and I was told Reese is all 2 1/2... so if I have to get another receiver should I get one with same rating or one that has a higher rating? The manual has a section that says "weight carrying hitch" and lists 700lbs for the Tundra, so should I use one rated for that amount?

Again I can't thank you all enough for all the information you have all provided

Barbara
Old 08-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The receiver hitch on a Tundra is usually rated for 500# tongue weight and 5000# trailer weight when NOT USING a weight distribution hitch. The receiver hitch is rated much higher if used with a weight distribution system.

Written someplace on the hitch, is also the rating for the hitch when used in tandem with a weight distribution hitch. My Tundra hitch says, when using a weight distribution hitch, the receiver hitch is rated at 800# tongue weight and 8000# total trailer weight.

I've never seen a receiver hitch with a 2-1/2" square receiver. 2" is the industry standard, although there are some smaller ones.

Hope this helps.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Barbara!

Quote:
After researching the posts here I've told the dealer to check out this system as it has everything in one unit. I also know this will involve drilling holes but after reading about the U bars interfering with lp tanks, this at least avoids that problem.

Okay, so if the hitch is rated 500lbs for toungue weight and 5000lbs trailer weight and I go with this above set up using a 600lb system, is this receiver going to work? Also, will this fit the Reese equipment as the inside of this receiver is 2" and I was told Reese is all 2 1/2... so if I have to get another receiver should I get one with same rating or one that has a higher rating? The manual has a section that says "weight carrying hitch" and lists 700lbs for the Tundra, so should I use one rated for that amount?

Again I can't thank you all enough for all the information you have all provided

Barbara
You have two different yet related issues at work here. First is your receiver hitch rating. Typically, the weight distributed rating is approximately twice the dead-weight-carrying rating for the receiver (as Bob wrote, there should be a label on your receiver as well as information in your owners' manual regarding these ratings). The second is the rating of the ball-mout/wieght distribution system. Typically, the ball mount has the same weight rating regardless of the weight distribution bars - - the 600 pounds refers to the weight rating for the weight distribution bars - - when I purchased my system, the ball mount and drawbar were the same for the 600 through 1,000 pound (Class III/IV systems) <the difference was in the capacity of the weight distribution bars>.

With the Dual Cam system, you don't want to have weight distribution bars with a weight capacity that is much in excess of your coach's gross tongue weight. With your Bambi, the 600 pounds should be an ideal, especially when towing with a truck-based vehicle that already has rather stiff suspension - - heavier bars might be advisable with a softly sprung tow vehicle (that is why I use heavier rated weight distributing bars with my Cadillac). The weight distributing bars can be purchased separately if you should trade-up to a larger trailer later - - that is one reason that I have several sets of weight distribution bars.

When dealing with receivers, only the Reese Titan Class V receiver hitch has the 2.5" receiver opening - - unless they have changed very recently, the Reese Strait-Line Class III (500 pound tongue 5,000 pound trailer maximum) and IV (1,000 pound tongue 10,000 pound trailer maximum) still utilize the 2" receiver opening. The Titan Class V with the 2.5" receiver has ratings for 1,700 pound tongue 14,000 pound trailer weight maximum).

Good luck with your hitch set-up!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-18-2004, 09:51 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Well I am back to square one again so have posted another thread in hopes that a bambi 19' owner can also chime in. This hitch came in today but the service dept manager thinks it is to heavy of a system for our trailer as the metal on the Bambi is lighter than the 22 or 25'. I sure wish I could just use this Straight Line Hitch as it seems to be a good set up which eliminates the U bars, and all who use it feel very secure pulling with it.

He will call Reese tomorrow to double check, but if any of you know if this has been used successfully on the Bambi 19' please let me know as I can pass that along, and any other suggestions/input much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Barbara
Old 08-18-2004, 09:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Barbara!

Quote:
Well I am back to square one again so have posted another thread in hopes that a bambi 19' owner can also chime in. This hitch came in today but the service dept manager thinks it is to heavy of a system for our trailer as the metal on the Bambi is lighter than the 22 or 25'. I sure wish I could just use this Straight Line Hitch as it seems to be a good set up which eliminates the U bars, and all who use it feel very secure pulling with it.

He will call Reese tomorrow to double check, but if any of you know if this has been used successfully on the Bambi 19' please let me know as I can pass that along, and any other suggestions/input much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Barbara
My '78 Argosy Minuet was built with even lighter frame materials than your new Bambi. I have used the Strait-Line Hitch with the Dual Cam for the last two season with absolutely no problem. The Dual Cam "U" bolts are available in at least two sizes - - one is smaller built for the smaller frame members on the Vintage coaches (this may be what is needed for your Bambi) - - my dealer provided these "U" bolts at no additional charge when I purchased my Dual Cam system for the Minuet.

Kevin

P.S.: The parts package according to the tag on the envelope from my Dual Camp system is referred to as "Mounting Hardware Package for 4" and 5" trailer frames". The standard that is typically included automatically with the sytem is for 6" trailer frames and will seem to "swallow-up" the lighter frames on the Vintage Airstream and Argosy Coaches - - and may be what is being experienced with your Bambi.
AIR #827
Old 08-18-2004, 10:07 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Barbara!

My '78 Argosy Minuet was built with even lighter frame materials than your new Bambi. I have used the Strait-Line Hitch with the Dual Cam for the last two season with absolutely no problem. The Dual Cam "U" bolts are available in at least two sizes - - one is smaller built for the smaller frame members on the Vintage coaches (this may be what is needed for your Bambi) - - my dealer provided these "U" bolts at no additional charge when I purchased my Dual Cam system for the Minuet.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I'll pass that along to dealer as would like to use this hitch.
Did you have to move the gas line on your installation?

Barbara
Old 08-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Barbara!

Quote:
Thanks Kevin, I'll pass that along to dealer as would like to use this hitch.
Did you have to move the gas line on your installation?

Barbara
I was fortunate on both my Overlander and Minuet that the LP tank mounting systems did not interfere with mounting of the hitch components. Due to circumstances, I installed the Dual Cam system on my Minuet; while my Airstream dealer installed the system on my Overlander. The Dual Cam system may appear a bit massive on the smaller trailer, but it does create a wonderful towing experience. On both of my Vintage coaches, the LP lines are attached to the hitch to the rear of where the hitch components must be mounted. With the Overlander, I have removed and replaced the components when painting the hitch and had no problem reinstalling it following the setup directions that can be downloaded from the Reese Products website.

I will admit to being a bit apprehensive about towing a single axle as I had a serious accident with a Nomad single axle in 1982 as a result of uncontrollable sway (unlike the well-balanced Airstream products that coach was very poorly balanced as built by the factory, and I was a novice in the trailer towing department at the time with less than two years of towing experience) - - with the Minuet and the Dual Cam System, I have never felt any threat of sway whether towing with the Cadillac or Suburban.

Good luck with your setup!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-19-2004, 04:53 AM   #15
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

Thanks again,

Barbara
Barbara,

I towed a 19' Bambi on a Toyota Tundra (2004) 4WD Ext Cab and used a Reese Dual Cam hitch. I am not sure of the model but it is the latest version. You have to drill in the frame to install it. (I have other posts about installation in the forum.) The Bambi towed well and I drove it about 4000 miles. There was one point I got some sway driving on 75 south in Fla but I realized I should not be driving 70 MPH. The rest of the trip I took it easy and it towed very well. I have since upgraded to a 25' Safari and it turns out this trailer actually tows better.

Good Luck and let us know what you ended up doing.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Single axle trailer is more prone to sway then a dual axle. The tandame axles will help fight the sway. I run a dual cam on our 59 Caravaner and weight wise it's around what that bambi is. It's rated 2700lb empty.

I error on the side of safety. I would rather have too much sway control then not enough. We white knuckeld that trailer home 30 miles when the hitch gear was misplaced. NEVER again will I mistakenly think It's light and were pulling it with a larger vehcile. The sad thing is I have been in a situation that a utility trailer about put me on the roof at 70mph. I was still dumb enough to think we would be fin because the coach had around 600lb of tounge weight.

Buy the inline set up and go with it if that's what you want. It will work fine.

That first turn your going to hear a loud pop...it's normal for the cams to make noise. It means they are working. once you back in line the system is quite on the hwy. Only tight turns will get it to pop like that. It sounds louder then it really is.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

New hitch on order!

Okay, here's what we're getting:

Reese Dual Cam (not HP) part #26000, with Reese WD part #66021.

Here's why Reese Straight Line system won't work with our Bambi 19' CCD:

The Bambi has a 3" channel frame rail from the A coupler (neck) back.
The dual cam bracket if installed on this frame will have appx 1 1/2" of play to be dealt with, resulting in an improper/ insecure installation, and this is according to the Reese technician along with the service manager at my dealership, who brought this to my attention upon recieving this system and observing this potential problem with our installation.

The dual axel trailers have a 5" box frame and the Straight Line system fits this application to a tee, with the dual cam bracket having just a small amount of play left for adjustments.

I want to thank everyone for all the input, I hope this is a heads up to others with a Bambi that want the Reese Dual Cam system, as this was certainly a learning experience for me....I used to know more about knitting than hitches

Will take a pic when done and post here to show off the new stuff, can't wait to get this thing and use it...I saw it today and it's real pretty

Barbara
Old 08-23-2004, 09:59 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hi Barbara,

I towed my 22' CCD to Alaska this summer with my Tundra. I used an Equalizer. I had trouble getting the proper fit for my frame with the Reese which was my first choice. I do think the Reese is the best system available if you can make it work on your smaller frame.

As for the mirrors, I love my McKesh mirrors. They worked well, and my wife who previously hated driving our tow vehicle, became comfortable driving it which was a big help on the trip.

Good luck,

Tom

2004 22' Intl CCD
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 (Std Cab)
Equalizer
temcotom is offline   Reply With Quote