Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Question Hitch?

OK i have removed the banana on both side of the hitch.How do i remove the piece in the middle of the hitch.I have removed all pop rivet and screw.still wont come off..Please tell me i don't have to remove the big rivet thats are nice and flush on the outside.Above the the blue strip that goes around the camper that ive already have removed...My very mad hubby is ticked that i found another problem before he even finishes the floor and frame in the back.So if i cant get this off myself before he comes home.He told me that he wasn't removing those ******* Olympic screw.He would cut the ***** banana thing off first....Pls tell me this is not the case and its just stuck or something.And how your are removing.

pic are on my profile of the problem
Old 06-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
It's not real clear from your picture, but it looks as if the 7-pin connector emerges from the dead center area of your trailer.

If that is the case, the large rivets sandwich both the steel and aluminum "Front End Plates", and the shell (See interior pic below). The interior plate is steel, and attaches to the frame - it's what holds the front end in place. The other plate is Aluminum, and is (I think) the one you are referring to....don't know why you would want (or have) to remove it.

The interior plate on my '78 Sovereign is shown exposed below - the plate is mounted on the centerline of the trailer. - More pics at http://www.airforums.com/forum...-new-post.html.

I would NOT recommend removing these (part numbers 20 and 21 below) plates - locations are shown in the cut from the Airstream Service Manual below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End Trailer Diagram.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	22348  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel73
My very mad hubby is ticked that i found another problem before he even finishes the floor and frame in the back.So if i cant get this off myself before he comes home.He told me that he wasn't removing those ******* Olympic screw.He would cut the ***** banana thing off first....
Phew. Hang in there.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Dennis is giving you some very good advice here. Don't remove those two plates. I'm curious what you are trying to repair here? I see the rust, but what part of the frame is that? Maybe a wider angle photo would help.

Are you taking the entire floor out? What the overall plan? I have lots of pictures of this area and plenty of war stories to go along with them if you need it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
What?

This on the outside of the camper.In the middle of the hitch there a sheet of aluminum that connect to the belly pan.In the pic.I was wonder if the Olympic rivet that i point to also hold this piece on.We try to make it come off but it wont.So i was wonder if this part of the skin/banana was also held on by the Olympic rivet and is that why its not coming apart.
This piece run along the frame on the outside from or should i say connect to the under belly then comes up and goes behind the outer main shell.(it looks just to be there to cover up the front of the frame and to try to keep the weather off to keep it from rusting.....like that really help any!!! all it did was keep water on the frame when it does get wet and help it rust more )I was wondering if maybe it was just stuck and i need to keep working it.If not then when hubby get home he will cut it lose permanently and i would like to try to get it off before he gets home if i can. If its not connect to those rivet show in the pic in which am pointing to...I have an hour left before he get home and start cutting her i will try to go and work her lose some more.I have looked at the owner manual with not much luck on it its rivet or not

I wished i could cut the pic down and post them on this page....
One things for sure i can say this camper and my hubby doesnt mix.Which isn't good right this min.

Ok three more pic have been add wider view ...ty
Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Angel, I can't see the new pics under your profile. Again let me ask, why are you trying to take this off? And what is the area that shows all of the rust?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Angel, I can't see the new pics under your profile. Again let me ask, why are you trying to take this off? And what is the area that shows all of the rust?

Jim
Will only let me add one pic ...i check to see if its there on the profile ...sorry for earlier but ones there now(not sure if this will help i tryed to get a wide angle while pointing to the peice am trying to get off)...I need to check that area i cant get off to make sure its not rust as bad as the one side of the hitch is.But i cant get it lose cause it run behind the main skin and am not for sure if it was attached by the Olympic rivet or not.it kind of looks like the 21 in 87 MH manual with out the lips on each side maybe not sure...my manual has nothing that i can find on it
Thanks Jim&Susan
Old 06-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
OK, now I get it. Sorry to be so dense. Yes, you are correct. The aluminum piece that your finger is resting upon extends up underneath the outer shell and held in place between the outer shell and the inner steel by those bucked rivets (at least it is on mine and appears to be on yours based upon the diagram Dennis provided). Removing all of that assembly is a bit difficult and reinstalling just as difficult.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
OK, now I get it. Sorry to be so dense. Yes, you are correct. The aluminum piece that your finger is resting upon extends up underneath the outer shell and held in place between the outer shell and the inner steel by those bucked rivets (at least it is on mine and appears to be on yours based upon the diagram Dennis provided). Removing all of that assembly is a bit difficult and reinstalling just as difficult.

Jim
OK thanks,Thats crazy that A/S done that it just like the back storage department.It made to cause problems i guess.I don't know if you can tell in the pic but it came from the factor cut wrong on our.Instead of two pieces coming together they cut it short and add a strip and never put a thing on it.All these year it been letting in water and holding it on the frame.The other side was cut right and and looks great..