Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hensley zerks sheared off

When I recently bought my used 2006 25FB Safari, it came with a Hensley hitch. What a great deal. However, I realized that the spring bars were falling out because the zerk pins were getting sheared off after only 1000 miles of towing. Resetting the hitch did nothing. So after burning through 5 sets of pins I pulled the spring bar bushing and called Hensley.

Turns out it had bushings for the 1400# bars and I had 1000# bars. Terry at Hensley assured me that the PO had not changed bars so the hitch probably left the factory with the wrong bushing. Sooooo.... if you are burning through zerk pins, it might help to measure the diameter of the bushings on your hitch. The 1400# bushing has a 1 1/2" diameter and the 1000# bushing has a 1 3/8" diameter.

Got a new bushing from Hensley and now the 1000# bars fit like a glove!

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Cracked Bushing

Mojo,
I also bought a trailer with a used Hensley. Like you I ran thru a couple of sets of zerks. In October I talked to Ron at Hensley and he asked me to check the bushing to see if it might be cracked. It was so I ordered a new one. He threw in a couple of zerks so I could put new ones in. I did have one fail after a 1000 mile trip but I had screwed it in to far. My fault. Still need to work on that. I replaced it and have about 2500 miles on the new set with no problems. After reading your post, I was curious about the size so I dropped the bars and measured. I have the correct bushing for my 1000 lb bar. Happy about that!
Thanks for posting. I like to learn as much as I can about my "Maude". Anybody have a sure fire way to gauge how far to screw the zerks in?
Regards,
Joe
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Mojo,
I like to learn as much as I can about my "Maude". Anybody have a sure fire way to gauge how far to screw the zerks in?
Regards, Joe
Not sure how how fireproof it is, BUT....stick your longest finger up the hole and push the springy head in 'til it's flush with the wall of a well lubricated orifice.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Where are your fittings - nothing like this on my P3...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Where are your fittings - nothing like this on my P3...

I'm sure there are if you look harder,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p421.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	130452  
Old 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The P3 does have zerks for the spring bars but they do not hold the bars in place. The P3 way of doing things involves a slot cut in the bushing and the spring arm and a steel disk the size and shape of a Tums tablet that fits in both slots. The bushings are then attached to the head with a bolt, and the zerks don't do anything but provide a way to grease the assembly.

On my ppppp the spring bars were miscut, a common enough problem that Propride already had some larger metal "tablets" made up. They sent them out. Macht nichts.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
To adjust the the Zerk fitting go to the Hensley web site and find the hitch manual. Under "Installation of Spring Bars" there are instructions for adjusting the retainer pin.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
It just says adjust as needed. No reference as to what is correct. Just do not screw in to far.
I get that part.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Zerk Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
It just says adjust as needed. No reference as to what is correct. Just do not screw in to far.
I get that part.
Some where in the manual I remember it saying to screw the Zerk in with your fingers until you feel it just contact the spring bar, then back it out 1 to 1 1/2 turns. I tried to find this instruction but was unable to locate it. All it says now is to turn the Zerk 1/2 turns at a time until the spring bar wont fall out.
The main caution, as you mentioned, is to make sure the threaded portion of the Zerk does not extend into the bushing housing.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Not sure how how fireproof it is, BUT....stick your longest finger up the hole and push the springy head in 'til it's flush with the wall of a well lubricated orifice.
That's how I do mine...once I get to that point, I set the lock nut as a reference then remove the assembly. Grease the end of the bar...stuff it in the bushing and insert the zerk assembly back to the point where the lock nut stops it.

Just over 10,000 miles on the same set of zerk fittings with no issue.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
That's how I do mine...once I get to that point, I set the lock nut as a reference then remove the assembly. Grease the end of the bar...stuff it in the bushing and insert the zerk assembly back to the point where the lock nut stops it.

Just over 10,000 miles on the same set of zerk fittings with no issue.
Same here...never had to change mine either, and the whole Arrow gets put in the quiver thru the WNY winter plus the bars come off at least once a season for cleaning..