Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Hensley Arrow

Hensley Arrow since 2000 on my 31'1976 Sovereign. Not one sway or towing issue since then. Never had any problems so no reason to contact customer service. I continue be be very happy with Hensley Arrow so if it ain't broke why fix it. My thoughts anyway.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You already own one.
If I already owned one I would feel the same way.
Since I do not have a hitch of that style and will be purchasing one for the first time I choose ProPride.
When you purchased your Hensley ProPride did not exist yet.
You bought the very best that was available to you at the time.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You already own one.
If I already owned one I would feel the same way.
Since I do not have a hitch of that style and will be purchasing one for the first time I choose ProPride.
When you purchased your Hensley ProPride did not exist yet.
You bought the very best that was available to you at the time.
The OP requested opinions on the 2 systems, I merely gave my opinion on the only one I am familiar with, Hensley Arrow. I am sure the Pro Pride is an excellent system as well and that you will be very pleased with it's performance. My Hensley Arrow has and continues to do exactly what it is designed to do. Eliminate Sway. I can attest to that after miles and miles of towing for almost 14 years in all kind of conditions and road surfaces. There is no sway from wind, 18 wheelers or other sources that I have encountered. Like the slogan, Tows as straight as an Arrow. As I said I can only comment on what I have experienced with the Hensley Arrow and would highly recommend it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Having installed and towed with both the Hensley (on our 2013 25FB International Serenity) and a ProPride (on our new 2014 Classic model 30) and only towed on a short trip with the ProPride, I would say the feel behind the truck is the same with both. I had no sway with either unit. The Hensley generated a bigger "bump" when braking.

I think the ProPride shows that it is the second generation Hensley design in many subtle ways, especially during the installation. There are no holes to be drilled into the trailer frame for the ProPride. I did have to do minor machining on the jack base plates and get some ⅜" frame spacers from Sean Woodruff at ProPride to complete the installation.

I put a stripe of ¾" white tape down the center of the stinger on each hitch and a small piece of white tape centered above the target opening on the trailer. Both units connect in the same way and have the same over center locks with pins to make the secure connection.

I had a 2" drop hitch for the Hensley on the 25FB and it worked well. The ProPride came with an adjustable hitch and it worked out well on the Classic. The front is about ¼" lower than the back without much load in the Classic trailer.

The Hensley stinger is less weight and easier to handle than the ProPride unit, but the ProPride stinger would allow me to mount "rock gard mud" flaps on the truck where the Hensley did not help with that issue.

As a Monday morning quarter back, if I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered the ProPride to begin with.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
I have a 2008 27ft FB International CCD. It has a storage hatch in the front that goes back under the front bed. Does anyone have the Hensley or Propride installed on this same trailer or another one with the front hatch? My concern is that the Jack towers might prevent the hatch door from opening all the way flat on top of the tongue behind the propane tank cover. If so, this would make it hard to get things in and out of an already hard to access storage space!
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Silver - mine is on a 27FB Flying Cloud with the same door you describe. The door opens to lie flat on the A-frame just behind the jack posts. My dealer installed mine so I'm not sure how they did it or whether it just naturally fit that way.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I've been using the 1400/14000 Hensley for about 40k miles. Never used the PP. The Arrow does what it says. Great hitch.

Other than the obvious lousy paint finish; my only complaint is customer service.
When I've got a problem- like worn-out bushings, or bent torsion bar receiver, I don't want to have to dicker with Hensley about their "lifetime warranty".
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have a Pro Pride hitch to pull my 27' 2008 Classic with the front storage under the bed. I have no problem lowering the door to access items in the storage compartment.
I put a piece of mylar tape on the tongue of the trailer to assist in hooking up. I have a backup camera but the black stinger and the black tongue seem to merge when backing up and the mylar tape helps distinguish them.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Shoreacres , Texas
Thanks for the replies, sounds like it is definitely workable. After some research, I have decided to go with the Propride 3P. My dealer told me when I bought the trailer that I would probably not need sway control, and that I should pull without it at first and if I had any problems to come back and see him! So, on that advise, I have pulled this trailer for almost 30K miles from one side of the Country to the other with a Reese load leveling hitch without any sway control. I never once in 30K miles had any problems or situations where I felt uncomfortable pulling the airstream. I assumed the dealer was right and that because it was an airstream I did not have to worry about it. However, I recently had an incident where I was passing a large load on a semi, and for the first time got into a fishtail situation and I felt that I was not in full control. I got off of the gas and manually applied the trailer brakes and she straightened right up, thank God! I might have been gullible at first to believe that dealer, but I don't usually make the same mistake twice, so I will be ordering my new sway eliminating hitch! I post this in case there are newbies out there as gullible as I was!
However, the fact that I was able to go that long without incident I believe is also a testament to the design of our silver beauties. Either that or a testament to my own dumb luck!!?

Happy trailering, and if you guys have any pics with your hatches down and showing the location of your jack towers, I would appreciate seeing them!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The door isn't down in this pic, but you can see if you drop it, it falls behind the jacks.

Good luck!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1729944886.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	502.0 KB
ID:	207463
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Count me in for one more for the ProPride team. We are scheduled to pick our very first Airstream (FC 25fb) around the end of April and safety was a major factor in investing in the right hitch from the start.

After shopping around for awhile and doing plenty of research on these forums (and by plenty, I mean months!) I had it narrowed down to either the Hensley or the PP. After speaking with both companies on the phone, it was an absolute no brainer. Sean runs a business the way businesses used to be run. The right way. Answering the phone, returning calls within hours, if not minutes, and patiently answer even the smallest of questions.

While we have yet to tow with it, I am a happy customer already.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
What is the "another Airstream I want worse"?
Looking forward to pics of it.
The trailer you are getting rid of resembles my trailer.
I have decided to hold out for a ProPride hitch because there is no drilling into the a-frame.
I really like the looks of those rock tamers.
M.Hony,

The deed is done and I can exhale now. In anticipation, I ordered a Class V stinger from PP....2.5" x 2.5"...definitely a massive chunk of metal. Sean had it in stock and it shipped the next day.

After getting such a good deal on it, I wasn't really in a position to gripe too much about issues, if any. After doing a "systems" check on everything, I was pleased to find out everything worked. That being said, the water pump was making some noise (vibration between the fluid end and power end of the pump)...so I just replaced it.

Other than that, the furnace seems to be running a little "rich". Everything else works fine including the solar panels and tank monitors. It came with two new batteries and six new tires. Should start installing the PP on it tonight.

Yes, I'm a happy camper now as I never thought I would find one of these on the market much less at a reasonable price. I'm loving it so far. It's a rolling man-cave and I have big plans for it.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Have you had a chance to haul motorcycles in it yet?
Dude! You got a Panamerica!
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Have you had a chance to haul motorcycles in it yet?
Dude! You got a Panamerica!
Yes...that is what I was thinking! By design, this isn't any big family rig...just a man and his machines.

No, I haven't hauled a bike in it yet...I had it delivered and have since been going through it checking everything out. I pulled the PP off the Classic so it's partially assembled and won't take long to install on the PA. Then, I'll get the my stinger reconfigured with the new Class V bit and adjusted.

I'm ordering another anchoring strip to install between the two existing and a means to hold the front wheels (rig up where I can remove if not hauling bikes). The amount of space in the garage (although it came at a premium new) is unbelievable. Mine did not come with the pull-down screen to cover the hatch but I intend to find one to utilize that space when the bike is unloaded.

I think I can haul two Wings in it (1,850 lbs.) or three Triumphs (1,350 lbs.) but I got to get finished on the basic trailer before I can start play too much in the back. Most of the time, it will only be hauling one bike. I've got a bike function to go to Saturday in near Jasper, TX (campground about 3 miles from the event) but I don't know if I'm going to have everything sorted by then. Probably will just ride the bike to and from.

Just got back from a pretty good ride this past Saturday based out of Jacksonville, FL (start & finish for the ride).

1,512 miles in 21 hours. & 21 minutes. Four bonus locations and four gas stops...and pulled trailers.

See...I need the Pan America in my line of ...uh....play.

Z
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #35

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I love your Pan America! I have always wanted one. I have absolutely no need for one. I have just always wanted one because they are so cool.

I really like seeing your pictures and hearing about it. You might consider starting a Pan America thread here on the Forums to chronicle your adventures in the Behemoth.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Once in 2006 when I was working in Jacksonville I went on a charity ride that went across 7 bridges and all over Duvall county. There was a bike night every Wednesday at a restaurant next to the motel.
I also went to a Biketoberfest in Daytona that year.
I didn't have such a fancy rig to haul my bike in, though.
I would like to walk around in a Panamerica some day just to see how it is.
I guess you have a Class V hitch on your new Silverado 2500HD?
I attempted to buy a 34' Excella before I bought my Classic.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is the hatch the same size as an Eddie Bauer hatch?
Will the Eddie Bauer screen work?
Probably not- the Eddie Bauer doesn't have the ramp portion of the floor, does it?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Is the hatch the same size as an Eddie Bauer hatch?
Come to think of it, it may and would increase my odds of finding one...good tip that never crossed my mind.

As a motorcycle rider yourself, there is no excuse why you can't see one on the inside. As most posts on the PA topic covered, it hasn't got the storage space like a normal AS. All the goodies I had in the Classic, I temporarily put in the Signature until the PA was delivered. I transferred every thing that was in the Classic and all fit fine except my crawfish boiling pot which now resides in a lower bin in the garage. Having already shopped for this and that for the Classic, it didn't take long to get this one rigged out (chocks, hoses, pigtail adapters, silverware, utensils, lines, towels, etc.). In my eyes, it is perfect. Where the Classic had a rear bed, a dinette bed and couch bed, the PA just has the front bed & dinette bed. So I'm treating this as my own personal trailer. If its a family thing, we'll take the Signature.

I plan to do some mods in the back for my toy support items. Build aluminum racks for lawn chairs, portable fish fryer and bike lift, a dedicated spot for the generator when I don't want to haul it in the back of the truck, air compressor & volume tank. I want to be where I can do an oil change, charge a battery or fix a tire, if needed. I won't purposely add any more weight than "necessary" but up to a point, it won't hurt and may help. I just want a place for everything and everything in its place. I don't ever foresee hauling a kayak or snow skies in this rig...so I don't have any problem gearing it around my other addiction. There is plenty of space to either side (floor to ceiling) in the garage that can be used without encroaching on bike space. Its a blank canvas and its up to me to do something that is functional without being tacky. I'll design it in AutoCAD first and build from there.

This one is a keeper so nothing is too much trouble. I want to start with the little things at the front, middle and back all at the same time. The interior looks like it only saw limited use but there are some things on the exterior that need a little TLC...the pads on the stabilizer are rusty, the latch on the propane tank surround needs attention, it needs a good scrubbing and waxing. The exterior "shower" hose & nozzle are missing (uses a quick connector and curly-Q hose on this type). The furnace and hot water heater look like they would be happier with the SS replacements. All just tinkering stuff and I enjoy working on things I like anyway. I also foresee replacing the halogen interior lighting with LEDs for off the grid service.

Sorry to keep babbling on about this one but I'm excited and y'all are the only ones that can relate to where I'm coming from. Those that aren't Airstream people just look at them differently than us. I've got my (but not everybody's) ultimate Airstream and I am stoked. I still can't believe I found one on the market.

To keep the post related, I did start on installing the PP. Top shelf hitch on a top shelf trailer. As Moosetags indicated, I do need to start a thread the trailer and its upcoming adventures. There certainly isn't an abundance of information on them but being out of productions and in limited numbers, there isn't much point other than just entertainment.

Z
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Have you towed it yet?
The 3 axle 34's are supposed to have good road manners.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
What a GREAT trailer!!!

Congrats!!

I too got the class 5 hitch from Sean. It's not easy to pick up :-) I just didn't want to use the sleeve.