Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Hensley Stinger: 8" drop not enough

Looking for some advice.

This season we traded in our 03 Pathfinder for an 09 – not only is it a little bigger TV but it's OEM hitch is mounted quite a bit higher.

The Hensley stinger has been switched out to an 8" drop – the longest drop they manufacture – but it is still not enough – the trailer rides about 2" higher in the front than it should – meaning – of course – the rear is about 2" lower – pictures attached.

There does not seem to be any adverse towing behaviour with the front riding high – actually it tows great. The biggest issue is the visual irritant of hauling a trailer that is not level. I do have watch for the tail dragging – but that can be managed around for the most part – some gas station entries have been a bit of a challenge. It is a bit of an irritant levelling the trailer in overnight stops where I do not want to unhook – on a level site it still means a minimum of blocking both wheels – relaxing the distribution bars and using the stabilizers to level the trailer.

There are several choices that were presented to me by a range of arm-chair consultants:The quick, easy and inexpensive choice seems the Blue Ox adaptor but Hensley advises against it – I am not clear why – the weight limitations of the adaptor seem in line ..... although I recognize the extra connection and the extra length are factors.

It is not an option to get a different hitch – the Hensley is our 3rd and last – I can't say enough positive about it (other than they don't make a 10" drop) – the Hensley is here to stay ....

I do plan on swapping out the current "P" series tires for "LT" tires before the next towing season – but I don't see modifying the tire size so much that it will be possible to recover 2".

Advice?

Thanks,

Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5683.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	110610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5684.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	110611  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5685.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	110612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5686.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	391.2 KB
ID:	110613  

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Looking for some advice.

This season we traded in our 03 Pathfinder for an 09 – not only is it a little bigger TV but it's OEM hitch is mounted quite a bit higher.

The Hensley stinger has been switched out to an 8" drop – the longest drop they manufacture – but it is still not enough – the trailer rides about 2" higher in the front than it should – meaning – of course – the rear is about 2" lower – pictures attached.

There does not seem to be any adverse towing behaviour with the front riding high – actually it tows great. The biggest issue is the visual irritant of hauling a trailer that is not level. I do have watch for the tail dragging – but that can be managed around for the most part – some gas station entries have been a bit of a challenge. It is a bit of an irritant levelling the trailer in overnight stops where I do not want to unhook – on a level site it still means a minimum of blocking both wheels – relaxing the distribution bars and using the stabilizers to level the trailer.

There are several choices that were presented to me by a range of arm-chair consultants:The quick, easy and inexpensive choice seems the Blue Ox adaptor but Hensley advises against it – I am not clear why – the weight limitations of the adaptor seem in line ..... although I recognize the extra connection and the extra length are factors.

It is not an option to get a different hitch – the Hensley is our 3rd and last – I can't say enough positive about it (other than they don't make a 10" drop) – the Hensley is here to stay ....

I do plan on swapping out the current "P" series tires for "LT" tires before the next towing season – but I don't see modifying the tire size so much that it will be possible to recover 2".

Advice?

Thanks,

Jay
You can, if you wish, change out the axle, to one that has a greater starting angle.

Judging from your photo, you would gain about 2 inches, if you went with 35 degrees.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Towing the trailer level on a single axles airstream is not as important as towing a dual or triple axle Airstream. Now that said one generally wants to see their rig sitting level while towing.

The easiest way I see solving your problem is taking the Hensley stinger to a good welding shop and having them add the needed drop to the stinger.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'd work toward making it level. Nose high is just never good. Andy's suggestion is worth some time in consideration as it sounds a good deal better than further modifying the stinger. I assume that there is no aftermarket hitch receiver for the TV?

That pair of vehicles sure makes an attractive rig!!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Surprising that you have this problem, our 4x4 3/4T truck is fairly high and yet our trailer is pretty much level with our 8" drop stinger.

I suppose it wouldn't be advisable to get a local welding shop to modify your stinger to give the required drop without Hensley's blessing?! (Would an adjustable stinger give more drop? Seems to me they were offering one that would fit?)

You know one thing that struck me looking at your pictures - and I could be completely wrong, but they gave me the impression that your stinger was slightly angled up rather than parallel to the ground. Could this be so, and maybe part of the problem?

Not likely I suppose.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
Advice?
sure...

try the standard font/size/color when posting, because snipping OUT the quote is a pia now...

the orange boyz will rightfully be against using a "receiver box" add on/drop even with apparently adequate ratings.

it might tolerate the stress but this hasn't been tested and introduces more parts that MIGHT fail.

the haha puts a LOT of stress on the receiver and not just in the vertical direction.

also the multiples of male/female connection...

will introduce MORE SLOP and less stability in the connection.

there are a couple of dozen posts IN the haha thread

on the problem of DEEPER DROP than the 8 inches they provide.

this is somewhere after post 400-500 as i recall.
_______

i seriously doubt the trailer is nose high when hooked up.

the nose may RISE 2much with w/d (jack tightening) but that's another issue.

have u WEIGHED the rig hooked up?

in particular the steering/drive axles of the nissan, without stream and with/out w/d tension?

this 02 19 ftr may have 400-600 lbs on tongue weight depending on lpgas, spare tire and LOADING.

without the scale info,

suggestions on HOW to monkey with the bar drop are all UNinformed.

it also appears from the pix that the haha struts are in the LOWEST holes on the brackets?

there are some minor fiddlings that can effectively alter the haha height...

but without SCALE info any suggested mods are without basis.

also post the receiver HEIGHT (upper/inside box) UNhitched and after hitching withOUT w/d tension.

what does the TONGUE actually weigh?

have u tried LOADING more crap in the nose or in front of the axels?
_________

without INTENTIONALLY pluggin' a better product, it would be remiss to NOT mention this...

the pp comes with a FULLY adjustable stinger and IS available with >10 inch drop.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-57179.html

so IF 10 or more is really needed,

one could contact the pp makers and inquire about buying MORE DROP.

at least ONE member here has used PP parts to make a haha compatible stinger

((see crispyboys posts on THIS stinger mod in the haha thread...))

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Thanks for the responses - answers to some of the questions:

- I did wonder about modifying the stinger itself - and sure like the idea of an inexpensive fix - but shied away from it for some of the reasons mentioned.

- I have not been able to find an aftermarket receiver for the Pathfinder that would drop the height of the receiver - but have wondered about a custom receiver to do the same job.

- yes - the stinger is angled between the trailer frame and the receiver - this angle is consistent with the set-up on our previous Pathfinder - but if you imagine it level you will see that the front of the trailer will drop.

- no - I have never weighed the rig hooked up (or unhooked for that matter) - but the hitch was set-up following the Hensley manual to the letter. Regardless - it is good advice - we are heading through Thunder Bay for a short trip over the next few days so I should be able to find a set of scales and get real weights.

- my recollection of the tongue weight - using the bathroom scale method some time ago - was 600 - 630 lbs with our normal travel load.

- top of the receiver is 22 inches from the ground, the hitch ball height is supposed to be 17 1/4 inches.

- there is not a lot of new opportunity to shift weights inside the trailer - propane tanks have been switched out to 20 lb tanks, we do not travel with any more water than needed to use facilities during the day, no heavy storage to the front (or back) of the trailer.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
_

. , .
ok jay good info...

the value of scale readings is important for many issues,

but one cannot know "how much" tension to put on the w/d bars without it.

the manual is good but doesn't really cover this issue well.

one can get some approximate feed back with bumper/wheel well heights on the nissan,

but scale info is much more direct/specific

the point being you may need MUCH LESS tension than previously OR currently applied,

and less (but adequate) w/d bar tension will lower the trailer tongue, perhaps much closer to level.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote