Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #21
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Hehehe!

Not very PC of me I guess but when i first heard the Company name, i couldn't help thinking about parades and rainbows!

"Hensley" a "MAN'S" hitch!

Jus kiddin' .............. Brian.

Well the seed of that thought must be coming from somewhere, huh?

The "man's" hitch sure is a pretty color orange... and Jim can't use his last name anymore because they tradmarked it and sued both of us for using his last name.

Anyway, the name is actually PROfessional Pride or PROduct Pride... there's not enough of that in the world in my opinion and if more companies would get back to it we wouldn't have as many problems.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Totaled A/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, not to put the original poster on the spot, sorry to hear about the loss of your trailer, but what happened? It has been stated on this forum that no trailer with a Hensley Arrow hitch has ever been damaged. Note: this is not an exact quote, but close to the statement or claims that were made.
Not the HAHA fault that a semi pulled in front of me and stopped dead on I-65 because of debris on the road. Had no chance and ran into Semi at approx 50 mph. TV was an 06 superduty diesel and saved our lives. Both airbags went off and Wife and I walked away with a couple of bruises and scratches. Key words are "we walked away"
Had a dog that used to be a daschound but is now a boston terrier with a shortened nose and eyes bulged out after he hit the back of seat. Anyway, we were extremely lucky and I replaced both the AS and truck with same as before.
If anybody wants to see pictures etc, let me know.
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Man, my basic Reese set up works just fine for me... Though I haven't towed with a pro-pride or other set up.... So I can't say how they tow>>

Seems like a lot of overkill for my rig.... and a lot more time to hook it up... Guess if I had a 34' I would look at it... my AS only weighs 4300 dry...

My AS rides as one with my TV. So what advantage would the others give me?.. Other than make me poorer and spend more time hooking up...??

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Man, my basic Reese set up works just fine for me... Though I haven't towed with a pro-pride or other set up.... So I can't say how they tow>>

Seems like a lot of overkill for my rig.... and a lot more time to hook it up... Guess if I had a 34' I would look at it... my AS only weighs 4300 dry...

My AS rides as one with my TV. So what advantage would the others give me?.. Other than make me poorer and spend more time hooking up...??
It may be overkill for your weight of trailer. 4300# may never overtake the weight of your tow vehicle. However, with the pivot point IN BETWEEN your tow vehicle and trailer it is not one even though it may feel that way. (Sorry about all the "may" in these sentences, I know the weather is much nicer in May)

As for the hitching up... I'll hitch up faster than anyone with a conventional hitch, at any angle, and any elevation, all by myself, any day or night of the week. I'd say my average time to hitch up runs 3-5 minutes from backing up to pulling forward ready to roll.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff View Post
However, with the pivot point IN BETWEEN your tow vehicle and trailer it is not one even though it may feel that way.
If feels like it but, if it was I wouldn't be able to turn That would suck

Sometimes I have to take the sway bar off while baking in a tight spot.... But other than that I like it...

The Pro-Pride set up looks cool, Maybe one day when I'm towing more weight...

IT's funny I see guys towing bobcats and big tractors with no equalizer or sway control... Seems they would need it more than us....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
IT's funny I see guys towing bobcats and big tractors with no equalizer or sway control... Seems they would need it more than us....
There are a lot of other factors in sway control. One of the major factors is the speed that the trailer is towed. The big tractor and bobcat guys don't usually get up to 60-70 mph.

Another is the size of the tow vehicle in relation to the load. Most of those guys do not have passenger type suspensions and weights of the tow vehicle.

A third it the position of the load to apply more tongue weight.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
....... the name is actually PROfessional Pride or PROduct Pride... there's not enough of that in the world in my opinion and if more companies would get back to it we wouldn't have as many problems.

Sean,

Can't argue with that!

Especially after just getting off the phone with a well known RV refrigerator manufacturer about a recall that affects the fridge in my newly acquired trailer.

Their fix seems to be a bandaid to (hopefully) prevent my entire trailer burning to the ground if/when the suspect component fractures, rather than to replace the known weak item and do things properly.

It just seems like a cheap "Cover yer ass" approach rather than a sincere wish to correct a defective sold to the customer.

Oh well, better than nothing I guess, about what we have come to expect and accept!

Sure nothing wrong with taking pride in a good product.

Cheers ......... Brian.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Hensley was great, but wanted more info on ProPride. I think what Hensley means is that nothing was damaged because of hitch. My circumstances were unavoidable and had nothing to do with Hitch.
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Not the HAHA fault that a semi pulled in front of me and stopped dead on I-65 because of debris on the road. Had no chance and ran into Semi at approx 50 mph. TV was an 06 superduty diesel and saved our lives. Both airbags went off and Wife and I walked away with a couple of bruises and scratches. Key words are "we walked away"
Had a dog that used to be a daschound but is now a boston terrier with a shortened nose and eyes bulged out after he hit the back of seat. Anyway, we were extremely lucky and I replaced both the AS and truck with same as before.
If anybody wants to see pictures etc, let me know.
Bob __________________
Bob-air # 657

Old 10-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #30
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
After tens of thousands of trouble free towing miles (mountains, inclement weather, etc.), it's time to step up to a super hitch. I've decided on the 3P. Combination of product evolution, price and service.

Does anyone have a ProPride coupon code?
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #31

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Did someone say that ProPride is now making a height-adjustable hitch bar that will work with the Hensley Arrow?

I could really use that! I love my HAHA, but I have changed out the hitch bar three times now due to change of TV, change of receiver, and carrying heavier loads in the TV.

How much are they, and how do I order one?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
HAHA hitch bar modification

Brian,
Look at post #697 of the "the ultimate haha users guide" thread. I took my original straight hitch bar and modified it with some help from Sean Woodruff from Propride. I believe Propride is now selling the adjustable hitch bar for the Hensley. I have used mine a couple of times and it works great! The hitch was modified to be just like the Propride model.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...-26279-50.html

Rochar3,
I did a search and found a thread about the Proprde hitch. Did you by chance see this thread? You may want to contact TrophyJim2 to see how he likes his 3P hitch.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ket-42311.html
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #33

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After seeing your custom modification, I know that's what I need. I just sent an email to Sean and an inquiry to ProPride.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
There are a lot of other factors in sway control. One of the major factors is the speed that the trailer is towed. The big tractor and bobcat guys don't usually get up to 60-70 mph.

Another is the size of the tow vehicle in relation to the load. Most of those guys do not have passenger type suspensions and weights of the tow vehicle.

A third it the position of the load to apply more tongue weight.
I have yet to see a low "construction trailer", doesn't matter what the load is, and NOT see some sway. A gooseneck would be better for these guys, IMO.

Wind resistance and center of gravity are often more favorable for these loads than with an RV. That, and the fact of not traveling too far, overall, seems to make it a moot point for most.

As I travel over 1,000 miles weekly, however, I have seen the consequences of these trailers and their loads when the trailer decides to go somewhere on its own. Too often, I suspect, it is the result of abuse and penny-pinching.

Had I a business need for a HD construction trailer (of whatever type) I am sure I would be recording weights of TV and CT, empty, loaded, whatever. I prefer to return to my home every night, unscratched.

A PP or HA is an excellent choice, period. I have the latter, and would find it a blast to play with the former on my current trailer for a comparison.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
pro pride p3 install

just installed a pro pride p3 on my unit and it is a great hitch. i hook up by myself and it is easy . i dont have the $30 guides. if you are off by a few inches you can pull the head around to line it up. dont need the 80$ brick the adjustable stinger is a easy set up also . just set up and get your ruler out and start measuring . then adjust to the correct set up. total time to get my p3 set up was two eaves about three hours. if it had not got dark i could have finished in two hours.
went on a trip last weekend and i didnt feel the tractor trailers as the blew by. plus we had a stiff wind the first day and it wasnt a problem .
i like the new yoke the p3 has in lieu of the bars on the arrow. install and forget it. 1K$ less than the arrow and a better unit in my estimation. those ha people have been s-----g eggs for quite a while. let me say i have never owned a ha just couldnt make myself pay that price for a hitch. the p3 is not a give away but it is in my $ range money well spent.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
This was a great discription of the way hitches work and how they are different. From Shawn W. last year via an e-mail to me. I really like the PP hitch. Jim

All travel trailers have an inherent problem. That problem is the location of the pivot point. A pivot point behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle allows for the trailer to move side to side on the ball and create a tow angle. Tow angles are necessary for turning corners but become a problem when towing a trailer at highway speeds.

At highway speeds these tow angles can begin to oscillate. Oscillation can be started by passing trucks, winds, uneven roads or driver inputs. These oscillating angles are measured from zero degrees when the trailer is directly behind you, and in line with the travel of the tow vehicle, to an angle either to the left or right of the line of travel. This is the condition known as sway.

Once these oscillating tow angles begin, the trailer creates a side to side forces at the pivot point (ie- the hitch ball). Sway forces at this point are on the end of a lever arm (the tow vehicle overhang) that is measured from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the hitch ball. These forces, located at a distance behind the rear axle, require either the driver to attempt to control them by steering, a heavy tow vehilce to counteract the forces, or a hitch designed to dampen or eliminate them.

Steering out of a sway condition is tricky at best and often times drivers only compound the tow angles by turning the steering wheel. Needless to say, this isn't the best option for controlling sway.

Next, some people buy a large, heavy tow vehicle to counteract these forces. This is better than steering to control sway but also has its problems. Large, heavy tow vehicles can counteract sway forces only to the point of the sway force that is less than the force the tow vehicle can apply. Once the sway force becomes greater than the tow vehicle can handle an accident is usually the result.

Finally, the proper hitch equipment can help dampen or eliminate a sway condition.

There are only two types of sway control designs available. The first type are in the friction control family. The second type are in the pivot point manipulation family.

Friction controls attempt to dampen the sway forces by applying friction forces greater than the sway forces. The various designs available include, Equal-i-zer, Reese Dual Cam and all other sway bar configurations. While friction controls do dampen sway effectively they also have the problem that large tow vehicles have. Once the sway forces become greater than the friction forces can dampen, the trailer is taking control of the travel. There is always a potential for a sway force that can build to greater than the friction force.

Pivot point manipulation hitches control sway by moving the pivot point of the trailer forward and decreasing the lever arm between the tow vehicle and trailer. With a shorter lever arm the sway forces do not allow the trailer to begin to oscillate. The three companies manufacturing this type of hitch are Pull-Rite, Hensley and ProPride.

The Pull-Rite PHYSICALLY moves the effective pivot point forward by a hitch mount under the tow vehicle. This is a good hitch but many people choose to not buy it because it requires tow vehicle modification and only works on a specific tow vehicle.

Jim Hensley designed hitches VIRTUALLY project the pivot point forward by a linkage in the main head of the hitch. The genius in Jim's design comes from the fact that forces on the trailer attempt to pivot the trailer around a point that is forward of the actual hitch ball while forces applied by the tow vehicle allow the trailer to pivot at the hitch and turn corners. This FORWARD pivot point is the key to not allowing sway to begin when a force is applied by on the trailer.

Now, for the differences in the two Jim Hensley designs. As you might guess, in over ten years of manufacturing and selling the Arrow (the Hensley Mfg design) we had common problems that needed to be addressed in a new design.

The Arrow uses a strut bar design to transfer sway forces through the main head and project the pivot point. These forces can become so great that the strut actually pushes the frame bracket toward the trailer. Once this frame bracket moves the strus become useless in projecting the pivot point. This wasn't acceptable to Jim Henlsey and he addressed it in his new design.

The ProPride hitch will use a yoke design that counteracts the sway forces from a single point below the traile tongue. This eliminates any possibility of frame brackets slipping and losing the sway control. This is the PRIMARY feature change in the two designs.

The ProPride design also comes with an adjustable hitch bar. The Arrow comes with a welded hitch bar that requires you to exchange the bar should you ever change the height of your tow vehicle or trailer in the future. This is an added shipping expense of $40-$75 for the exchange that I didn't see as necessary for my customers.

The other benefit of an adjustable hitch bar is that it allows for tow vehicle receiver variations. The hitch bar can be set to parallel to the ground as it should be for proper weight distribution.

The ProPride design also uses a different weight distribution connection in the bottom of the main head. In the Arrow it is necessary to replace the grease fittings from time to time or the bars will fall out of the bottom of the hitch head. This is more of an annoyance than anything else so we designed a different system.

The ProPride main hitch head is 20 pounds lighter than the Arrow. There is a lot of unnecessary steel in the Arrow hitch head,

The ProPride paint will also be much better than the Arrow. The Arrow powder coating company does not properly treat the steel and the Arrow chips and rusts prematurely.
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yeah so?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
I'm not sure what you mean? Yeah so?

Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:25 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
POMPANO BEACH , FL
TrophyJim, just wanted to let you know that I have come back to this post repeatedly and it is the most concise description of the hitch systems I could find and it has been really really helpful!
Tropicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I see it as simple as this...

Either purchase a ProPride 3P now - or upgrade latter...

JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote