Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
Hensley Installed- Questions

Well, it took all afternoon, but I got it installed. Took her out for a little spin around the block, and everything seems to be working well. 40 mph wind gusts, and I didn't feel anything. However, I have a few questions and concerns, and since there was no "expert" around today to help, I thought I'd ask here.

1. I screwed up and left 2 metal gold-finish rings off when I put everything back together. They look like spacers of some sort, and I'm guessing they go on the struts, but i can't tell if it's front or back. It would fit on either.

2. Are the tension spring bars supposed to lean this way and that way when you park, or when the trailer is hooked up and not at a straight angle?

3. What effect do the tension spring bars have on tongue weight? The tongue weight of my trailer and the Hensley are close to the 1000 lb. limit, but I believe that this can be offset by the w/d bars.

By the way, I know that my TV is not ideal, but it's rated for 8950 and I'm still about 2,000 under that.

Hopefully you can see the pic i tried to attach. how does it look? Maybe a little "tweak" of the w/d bars to redistribute weight to the front? I had it riding higher with my other setup. Does this look good and level?

If anyone near northeast Ohio would like to check it out for me and go for a ride, I'd be eternally grateful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	56972  
toddnich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Looks like you need just a little more on the front axle. Somewhere I saw a formula for calculating proper hitch setup by measuring front and rear axle drop, but of course I can't find it now.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Is this a used hitch you took apart and painted?

If so, the gold rings are most likely the spacers that go on the bottom of the over-center-latch clevis pin that holds the OCL into the main unit. You MUST replace those spacers or the head of the clevis pin can extend up into the links and REALLY mess up your hitch.

INSTALL THESE SPACERS BEFORE YOU USE YOUR HITCH AGAIN.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Go up another link on the chain--you can always go back. Level is good.
When you level the TT on level ground, take a picture. when you set it all up, take a picture. Some times your perception is jaded. Pictures don't lie.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thumbs up Thanks Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Woodruff
Is this a used hitch you took apart and painted?

If so, the gold rings are most likely the spacers that go on the bottom of the over-center-latch clevis pin that holds the OCL into the main unit. You MUST replace those spacers or the head of the clevis pin can extend up into the links and REALLY mess up your hitch.

INSTALL THESE SPACERS BEFORE YOU USE YOUR HITCH AGAIN.
Has anyone else noticed Sean is answering questions and not his competitor? Very nice of you Sean, Karma sent. I will be upgrading to a ¾ ton in a couple of years and will upgrade my hitch then. When it comes to a choice between ProPride and the pumpkin people, I will remember this. I also appreciate the chance to make suggestions in the thread 2air strated that introduced up to ProPride (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ach-37994.html) and have you take them seriously. How about posting an update there to bring us up to date. For example, did you consider my suggestion to put bronze bushings in the wear points further, etc…
Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Hensley's Super Service

Hi Toddnich
I have had a Hensley on my 99 25 foot Safari since I bought it new in 1999.The dealer put mine on.My hat is off to you for installing it yourself.I think I could put one on now after all the experiences I've had with it. It is everything they advertise. I've had semi trucks past me at 85 mph and guess what no sway. I drove thru 60-70 mph winds no sway. It's a great hitch and mine is still in good shape. ANY problems you have call the service department the number for Hensley is 1-800-410-6580 .Ask for Jared he is very patient and wil help solve any problem.I have called with problems over the years and their service guys really do know this hitch.Your not going to talk to a 18 year old kid who doesn't know ---- from Shinola. Really call the service department they are super.
If you don't have a manual google wwwhensleyarrow.com .There is the complete manual on line and you can e-mail questions.THe offices are in Davidson outside of Flint Mi. The factory is in Romeo Mi.Good luck
JIm A drjjta@hotmail.com
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
You're certainly welcome. Thanks for the karma!

I have listened to ALL of the suggestions in that thread and will get over there and update soon.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
thanks

i just went up to the storage lot and fixed it. duh.

another duh moment today- my safety chains are now too short, and i didn't realize it until i almost pulled them off the frame making turns. another job to do before i go anywhere.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnich
i just went up to the storage lot and fixed it. duh.

another duh moment today- my safety chains are now too short, and i didn't realize it until i almost pulled them off the frame making turns. another job to do before i go anywhere.
Glad to hear that! Those clevis pins are too long and can get up in the links and mess them up.

If your safety chains will hook up when you are straight in line with the trailer that is the longest they will ever need to be. They shorten in turns and you will have slack.

If you had them pulling on the frame you may have had them routed on the outside of the weight distribution bars. Make sure you rout them between the bars and under the hitch head.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-25-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
thanks, i'll check it out. i think that might not be the case, however, if you don't cross the chains. i know you're supposed to..
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
ok, now i'm confused. you said the clevis pin head could go "up" into the links. i think i need a visual or something. i originally dropped the pin in and put a cotter pin on the bottom. where does the spacer go? did i put the clevis pin upside down?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
ok, now i'm confused. you said the clevis pin head could go "up" into the links. i think i need a visual or something. i originally dropped the pin in and put a cotter pin on the bottom. where does the spacer go? did i put the clevis pin upside down?
No it drops in with the head on the top, on the links side. The spacer goes on the bottom between the cotter pin and the bottom of the main unit. The clevis pins, without the spacer, work themselves upward so that the head of clevis blocks the links.

The bottom line is the spacers go on the bottom of the clevis pin and the cotter key holds them on the clevis.
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Do you have a torque wrench? I finally gave in and bought one to keep in the trailer so I can check the various nuts on the hitch regularly -- then I found many other uses for it.

Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Do you have a torque wrench? I finally gave in and bought one to keep in the trailer so I can check the various nuts on the hitch regularly -- then I found many other uses for it.

Tom
i just bought one today. i never knew how painful 45 lbs was!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
i just bought one today. i never knew how painful 45 lbs was!
Especially if you drop it on your foot!
Now you can check lug nuts, as well as the HaHa equipment.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sean, thanks for the note on the chain - I was not sure mine were long enough, but now I know they are OK.

I was thinking perhaps that the gold spacers he was talking about were the ones that hold the tops of the jacks in place.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Has anyone else noticed Sean is answering questions and not his competitor?
I was told this is not the place to market my products, so I respect the wishes of the moderators. Obviously, others will take every opportunity to put their website link on the screen. Don't be fooled by what appears to be good intentions.

I do monitor the questions about the Arrow, but most people would probably rather hear the answer from one of our owners. And they usually provide excellent answers. As stated by a previous member, our customer service is excellent and Jarrod can answer any question faster than you can pound out the 800 number. The guy bleeds orange.

I have to admit I feel I shouldn't spend much time on the forum because I don't own an Airstream nor do I see owning one in the near future (perhaps in my retirement!). It seems a bit hypocritical (I do own a travel trailer, so I guess I'd only be 1/2 hyprocritical).

There's my screen name, though. Feel free to shoot me a private message. Or call me direct. As much as I love the internet, nothing beats a good live conversation.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No need to belabor it, Ron, anyone who has dealt with Jarrod/Jared (sp?) has come away pleased I'll wager. I know I have. In fact I need to call back to him and return one of the two stingers I currently have. Was pleased to be able to use the exchange program.

As to the original questions, a perusal of 2airs two great threads will be of help. I'd weigh the TV at a CAT Scale on it's own after work some day, and then another trip with the trailer to see what the numbers are. Take a few measurements of the trailer, sitting level; of the TV, unhooked (I use a tape measure and go from the ground to the top of the wheel arch on the TV and from the beltline on the TT).

Mine was/is not yet ideal. But a change from a 4" stinger drop to a 6" drop gets me closer. I have no way of knowing how much or how little "weight transfer" I have w/o those scale tickets. (I also unbuckled my rig while on the scale, pulled the truck away, and got the trailer axles on separate pads, as well as tongue weight).

I've gotten to where I cross the scales on each (infrequent) trip, to look for trends in trailer weight & balance; TV "weight transfer" and any changes made to the hitch rigging.

Call Hensley, refer to this thread (picture) and post what you find. I'll bet that Chrysler product works out fine.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
I was told this is not the place to market my products, so I respect the wishes of the moderators. Obviously, others will take every opportunity to put their website link on the screen. Don't be fooled by what appears to be good intentions.
Answering a question isn't marketing a product. I have to give it to you for the ol' college try on that statement but it doesn't even make any sense. Aren't the questions being asked by people who already own the product? I wouldn't expect "others" to know that. A website link isn't marketing a product either.

I'm not sure what other intentions someone could have for answering a question other than giving the answer to the question. The thinking behind that comment on intentions speaks volumes about intentions.

Rest assured, I will answer every question I have the answer to and provide value to people whenever given the opportunity regardless of the fact that they will never have a need for my product.

Speaking of intentions... we could talk about the intention to surpress competition, through NON business means, in order to keep prices high and in support of the lack of real competive advantage and innovation.

Oops, there's that link again. I just can't stop "marketing."
Tu ne cede malis
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron

I do monitor the questions about the Arrow, but most people would probably rather hear the answer from one of our owners. And they usually provide excellent answers. As stated by a previous member, our customer service is excellent and Jarrod can answer any question faster than you can pound out the 800 number. The guy bleeds orange.

I have to admit I feel I shouldn't spend much time on the forum because I don't own an Airstream nor do I see owning one in the near future (perhaps in my retirement!). It seems a bit hypocritical (I do own a travel trailer, so I guess I'd only be 1/2 hyprocritical).

There's my screen name, though. Feel free to shoot me a private message. Or call me direct. As much as I love the internet, nothing beats a good live conversation.
My apologies Ron,

I did not realize that you did not feel comfortable here. Sorry.