Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Hensley chain vs jack

We're getting a 27' this month, and since Hensley manufactures hitches right near my work I'm thinking I'll get one for the new trailer.

Which version do you prefer, the newer style with the chain or the jack version?
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Definitely Jack. It's much more easy to align the stinger when hitching. Chains let the head flop around.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Hensley chain vs jack

And using a wrench on a jack is much, much easier than trying to pry the chain bracket in place if you need a lot of WD bar tension.

And speaking for myself, I'm not getting younger and stronger, either.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Jacks for sure. I just use a rechargeable drill to tighten them. Takes 5 seconds each. The same drill and bit fits the Airstream stabilizers too so double duty.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
One big advantage to using the jacks instead of chains is the added benefit of upward spring bar dampening of the TV/TT vertical movement while pitching up and down on interstates. Known as freeway "jounce," it is caused by uneven slabs. Years ago Hensley recommended their hitch for that among other reasons. About 13 years ago, I had replaced my Easy Lift for that reason and it helped.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
I have had a Hensley since 2009 and pulled my AS over 40,000 miles with it. Absolutely love it. I have the jack distribution bars which I prefer, and if I'm correct, back in 2009 that was my only choice. The jacks allow you to angle the hitch head to match the stinger in those rare occasions when the TV and TT are at different angles. There is a learning curve, but once you "get it" you can hook up and unhook on any site and at any angle. (Having a backup camera on the pickup helps.

I'm a big fan of the projection hitch, Hensley or ProPride.

Now having said that, let me also say if all you are going to do is pull the trailer a few hundred miles from home, a couple or three times a year, I don't know if it is worth it. There are a lot of good hitches out there that can meet you needs. But if you plan on going from coast to coast, then I think the projection hitch is worth the $$.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSchleff View Post
I have had a Hensley since 2009 and pulled my AS over 40,000 miles with it. Absolutely love it. I have the jack distribution bars which I prefer, and if I'm correct, back in 2009 that was my only choice. The jacks allow you to angle the hitch head to match the stinger in those rare occasions when the TV and TT are at different angles. There is a learning curve, but once you "get it" you can hook up and unhook on any site and at any angle. (Having a backup camera on the pickup helps.

I'm a big fan of the projection hitch, Hensley or ProPride.

Now having said that, let me also say if all you are going to do is pull the trailer a few hundred miles from home, a couple or three times a year, I don't know if it is worth it. There are a lot of good hitches out there that can meet you needs. But if you plan on going from coast to coast, then I think the projection hitch is worth the $$.
Money's not an issue. I want the safest hitch. I still work so we're only on vacation a couple times a year. Last vacation took me from oil change to oil change. I think that qualifies.

If I can figure out the right stinger to get, I'm getting the Hensley.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
If I can figure out the right stinger to get, I'm getting the Hensley.
Talk to the Hensley about what stinger they suggest and get it. The drop will be close enough to being correct to get your trailer home. If it is not quite right, your being near the company makes exchange easy. If things haven't changed, an exchange is free or nearly so.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I'm getting the Hensley.
Good for you. I think you will love it and they do add a degree of safety.
TSchleff is offline   Reply With Quote