Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
and it appears you missed THE point...

ANY hitch can push on a straight way going down hill while using the transmission for braking. If it pushes in a curve it can cause handling problems.

EVERYONE towing needs to be aware of this.

and only the haha/pp give a CLUE that PUSH is happening.

cheers
2air'
You just don't get it. The added bump that you get from a Hensley is different from just being pushed when using another type hitch. The bump can cause handling problems going down hill.
Ben4762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
You just don't get it. The added bump that you get from a Hensley is different from just being pushed when using another type hitch. The bump can cause handling problems going down hill.
and the PUSH by an hitch can cause handling problems going down hill.

that's the GET part.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:

and the PUSH by an hitch can cause handling problems going down hill.

cheers
2air'
but a "bump" along with a push causes additional problems. GOT IT?
Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And it's still a TRAILER braking problem.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've not towed very much with the PP, but for what it's worth, I've not experienced any "bumps".
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #26
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Bump is a problem for us

We have a 30' Excella towed by a 2006 F250 PSD, using the HAHA (which we love). We have disc brakes that were retrofitted in April 2008 by David Tidmore at Roger Williams Airstream... but it was one of the last jobs he did before leaving.

We get the bump everytime unless I pre-apply a little bit of brake pressure. My efforts to correct it are detailed here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ade-41447.html

We run with the brake controller set at 10. At that setting, I am unable to get those huge disk brakes to lock up even when I'm doing 10 mph. I am convinced its the interaction of the 2006 Ford brake controller with the activator. David said its a software problem.

Unfortunately, David left before we could address the issue. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but if anybody else has faced (and fixed) this problem, please let me know.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
And it's still a TRAILER braking problem.
If you are towing on level terrain and you are getting the Hensley bump when you stop it is definitely a Trailer braking problem. If you tow on hilly terrain or in the mountains sooner or later you will feel the Hensley bump. This is caused by down shifting the transmission on the tow vehicle. The tow vehicle slows when you down shift, but not the trailer. The Hensley shifts either to the right or left and you feel the bump.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Diesel View Post
...We run with the brake controller set at 10. At that setting, I am unable to get those huge disk brakes to lock up even when I'm doing 10 mph. I am convinced its the interaction of the 2006 Ford brake controller with the activator...
hi tin

craftsman HERE has the 2006 with ITBC and had issues UNTIL upgrading to the larger reservoir (ver.2) of the actibrake.

i see you'll already got that version.

my thought would be in the WIRING/install.

did david set the voltage at something LESS than full voltage (he did this on richL's trailer) ???

see the post earlier in this thread about that...

the ford controller is NORMALLY set to scale back voltage with REALLY slow speeds.

so IF THAT is combined with a controller install (on the trailer side) with lower voltage,

the 2 together may be limiting the availability of FULL power.

that's just a wag on my part.

some1 should explore the wiring/install with a voltmeter, along with the wiring/schematics and determine how much juice is flowing.

and given actibrake is no longer in the biz, u might be better off long term installing a different controller/reservoir.

have u contacted kodiak to see what system THEY recommend now?

good luck.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey All,

We just got back from Myrtle Beach. I noticed a yaw when applying the drum brakes; a new but wholly unappreciated experience. When we got home I had a one of our boys listen to the wheels for magnet noise which confirmed two brakes were AWOL. Long story short; a lead wire to one magnet was broken off (the insulation just cracked with age and led to wire breaking) and the magnet on another assembly was a wedge and showing the windings. So this weekend I had the wife put on new disc brakes (she only started complaining when it got to be 10 PM and 45 degrees). The system is Kodiak brakes, Dexter actuator, and a Prodigy controller running at about 6 to 7 volts at boost 1. We tested the brakes on Sunday and what a change. For the life of me, I cannot get the trailer to bump. I tried all of the tricks; deaccelerating into a turn with no brakes applied, a lower 5 volt setting on the prodigy and while turning into a stop. So I am now convinced that 2Air and Rich are right on. The Hensley does not bump the tow vehicle with proper braking force applied by the trailer.

BTW, our original break-away switch was also AWOL. I cannot see what is wrong with it, and it was working only a month ago. It looks like the way it works is that when the plug is pulled, the spring-activated contacts close and complete the 12 volt circuit. Simple, and fool-proof, but it still malfunctioned after only 5 years. New Bargman installed, problem solved. With the crumbling insulation on the wire and the pristine-looking, but inoperative break-away switch, I now have a new perspective on the state of trailer safety on our nation's highways.

Bye,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #30
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
The Hensley shifts either to the right or left and you feel the bump.

Get the haha set up properly and that disappears.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Get the haha set up properly and that disappears.
Go back and read my entire post.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
So this weekend I had the wife put on new disc brakes (she only started complaining when it got to be 10 PM and 45 degrees). The system is Kodiak brakes, Dexter actuator, and a Prodigy controller...
good report paul!

is your wife available to service/repair others with discs brakes IF we drop by ?

post a follow up on the dex' actuator as it gets more use.

eventually the actibrake on my trailer will fail and when it does i'd like to know more about this replacement option.

cheers
2air'

Old 11-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Go back and read my entire post.
Yep....get it set it's gone
Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey 2air,

Quote:

is your wife available to service/repair others with discs brakes IF we drop by ?
I'm sorry to say, but you would have to pay for both of us. She's management, and I'm the blue-collar workforce in the family. She was very helpful in the hydraulic line-routing dynamics and bleeding the brake lines.

Bye,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #35
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks to All

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossFam05BH View Post
Hey All,

We just got back from Myrtle Beach. I noticed a yaw when applying the drum brakes; a new but wholly unappreciated experience. When we got home I had a one of our boys listen to the wheels for magnet noise which confirmed two brakes were AWOL. Long story short; a lead wire to one magnet was broken off (the insulation just cracked with age and led to wire breaking) and the magnet on another assembly was a wedge and showing the windings.

Thanks to everyone for illuminating this subject. RossFam05BH's post really illustrates how problems can creep up unexpected and how important checking and maintaining brake systems is with our trailering lifestyle.

Be kind to everyone,
Secguru
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote