Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Has anyone actually weight their PP components?

I was going over some numbers today and am concerned I may have made an error while weighing a recently built Propride on a beam scale.

Their website still says "about 195 pounds", which it has said for a long time. Other online forum(s) post it at "about 200 pounds"

When I weighed each component, out of the box, I got:

Head = 84#
Stinger = 51#
1K spring bars = 28#
jacks (V2) = 28#
yoke hardware bag = 3#
yoke = 22#
frame bracket and hardware = 7.5#

Total 223.5#

I know they made quite a few changes over the years, like some forged pieces, thickened some pieces, new jacks, etc......but 28 pounds worth????

Anyone done their own weighing?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I did not weigh mine but the shipping weight was 218pounds which included the boxes and extender kit. It did NOT include the stinger since I already had one.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I did not weigh mine but the shipping weight was 218pounds which included the boxes and extender kit. It did NOT include the stinger since I already had one.
Thanks. That doesn't help much...several variables in there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I weighed my Blue Ox Sway Pro, but that won’t help you much.
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I got a new one last few months with the 3" stinger. Everything is installed except the stinger which just weighed in at a chunky 63 lbs with pin. I shall name him Moto Moto.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I weighed my Blue Ox Sway Pro, but that won’t help you much.
Well, at least I know I'm not the only nerd out there.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 04-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
hey Rich, I am curious why you need to know it accurately?
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
hey Rich, I am curious why you need to know it accurately?
Al
For accuracy in determining load on the receiver. For my anal retentive spreadsheet.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
If your hitch is attached to the trailer does it not become part of the tongue weight?
I have pondered this numerous times. Years ago at a rally we all measured our tongue weight with a scale designed for that. I measured right under the ball.
Even with my Hensley Hitch that is the pivot point. With the hitch attached to the trailer I got a tongue weight of a little over 750lbs. Surprisingly, about what I was told it would be. That is about 10% of trailer weight more or less empty. What the Hensley does is move the ball further away from the bumper of the truck, but by the geometry of the hitch the pivot point is actually projected quite far forward.
I suspect that moving the pivot point further from the truck requires a bit more weight distribution. I don't use very much. I want to keep the stresses to a minimum.
Al
Edit: First mention of pivot point is the vertical pivot of the connection between trailer and truck.
Second is the turning pivot point.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 07:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
If your hitch is attached to the trailer does it not become part of the tongue weight?
I have pondered this numerous times. Years ago at a rally we all measured our tongue weight with a scale designed for that. I measured right under the ball.
Even with my Hensley Hitch that is the pivot point. With the hitch attached to the trailer I got a tongue weight of a little over 750lbs. Surprisingly, about what I was told it would be. That is about 10% of trailer weight more or less empty. What the Hensley does is move the ball further away from the bumper of the truck, but by the geometry of the hitch the pivot point is actually projected quite far forward.
I suspect that moving the pivot point further from the truck requires a bit more weight distribution. I don't use very much. I want to keep the stresses to a minimum.
Al
The pivot point doesn't have anything to do with loads. Just like the coupler weight has a lesser effect on receiver load, due to distance, so does the head, and to a lesser extent, the stinger. In addition, the jacks and the remainder of the hardware has a different effect on coupler weight than its actual weight, due to position relative to the coupler.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
PP weight will vary depending on receiver (hitch bar). My 2.5” hitch bar is considerably heavier than the 2”. I’ll check the difference.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
PP weight will vary depending on receiver (hitch bar). My 2.5” hitch bar is considerably heavier than the 2”. I’ll check the difference.
Thanks, but mine is just a 2". Very standard, with the only variable being the spring bar/bushing. I am struggling with significant difference from their stated 195#.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:20 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If the receiver is designed and built strong enough and you distribute the weight approximately one third to the TV front axle and one third to the TT axle(s), then the hitch\receiver are only carrying one third of the weight. Call CanAm and Andy will explain it.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
If the receiver is designed and built strong enough and you distribute the weight approximately one third to the TV front axle and one third to the TT axle(s), then the hitch\receiver are only carrying one third of the weight. Call CanAm and Andy will explain it.
guskmg
I'm sorry, the physics and it's related math just doesn't work that way.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Teaticket , Massachusetts
Hitch weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I'm sorry, the physics and it's related math just doesn't work that way.

That’s the math my Equalizer WD hitch uses according to my scales, is Propride somehow different? Is it not WD?
Bob
AnotherBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherBob View Post
That’s the math my Equalizer WD hitch uses according to my scales, is Propride somehow different? Is it not WD?
Bob
dunno, you'd have to show me your math.