Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
GMC Canyon Weight Carrying vs Weight Distributing Hitch

So after some research I figured out that since the factory installed hitch is only rated for weight carrying and does not have a different rating for weight distributing, (like the factory hitch on my K2500) to be safe I needed a hitch rated for both to use my weight distributing and sway control system.

Ended up ordering a Draw-Tite hitch mainly because it picks up 4 additional attachment points vs other MFG that I found. The weight carrying rating is very similar to the GMC factory hitch, but unlike the OEM hitch it is also rated for WD.

Obviously this does not change the vehicle limits on towing capacity, but does allow me to use the system to level the TV and trailer.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Colorado hitch

Draw Tite # 76004 is a Class IV hitch that can replace factory hitch. About $130.00 from Etrailer and free shipping! My friend has a 2018 Colorado with factory tow package and the first thing he replaced was the hitch. Easy switch.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Yes, that is the hitch (same as GMC Canyon).

I think many folks may not realize that you should not use a weight distribution system on a hitch that is not rated for WD. The different loads imposed by the WD require additional design and testing considerations.
SYC2Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYC2Vette View Post
I think many folks may not realize that you should not use a weight distribution system on a hitch that is not rated for WD. The different loads imposed by the WD require additional design and testing considerations.
This is true. A weight distribution hitch can impart a very high bending moment in the upward direction on the hitch receiver which is much higher than the normal downward bending moment from a downward ball load. This may be a problem for cars and SUV's that have unibody construction where this bending moment has to be spread out over the thin sheet metal body. It's not a problem for a pickup that has the hitch receiver attached to the much stronger truck frame. Some manufacturers have stated in their operating manual that you should not use a weight distribution hitch. Others are vague about it. I would suggest taking a look under your vehicle from time to time to look for damage where the hitch attaches to the body. Probably you'll be OK but it's good to check.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
This is true. A weight distribution hitch can impart a very high bending moment in the upward direction on the hitch receiver which is much higher than the normal downward bending moment from a downward ball load. This may be a problem for cars and SUV's that have unibody construction where this bending moment has to be spread out over the thin sheet metal body. It's not a problem for a pickup that has the hitch receiver attached to the much stronger truck frame. Some manufacturers have stated in their operating manual that you should not use a weight distribution hitch. Others are vague about it. I would suggest taking a look under your vehicle from time to time to look for damage where the hitch attaches to the body. Probably you'll be OK but it's good to check.
The hitch doesnít attach to the body on this vehicle, it attaches to the frame.

Good idea to use a heavier hitch designed for the intended use.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote