Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Saint Helena , California
Getting a trailer into a really tight spot: Trailer Dolly?

Hi Everyone,

I have a 24' 1975 Airstream Argosy trailer that I need to park in a certain way. Please see my drawing below to get an idea of the parking spot layout. I need to park my trailer as parallel to the FENCE as possible. The problem is, the distance between the light post and the wall does not leave a lot of room for maneuvering. I know there is absolutely no way for me to back the trailer in parallel to the fence using my tow vehicle because there is not enough extra space between the trailer tongue and the wall for the car. I am thinking my best bet is to back the trailer in on an angle and get it as close to parallel w/ the fence as possible using my TV. When I can't go any farther, I was going to try to move it the rest of the way with a trailer dolly. So, my questions are:

How difficult is it to move (and slightly turn) a dual axle trailer with a dolly?

What models of trailer dolly would be able to handle moving this size trailer? (Keep in mind, I am trying not to spend a huge amount of money since I will only be using it rarely). What do you think of these models?:

Trailer Valet » Trailer Valet » Trailer Valet

Northern Tool - Ultra-Tow Extreme-Duty Adjustable Trailer Dolly, Model# TMD-1000C customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

Is it possible to rent a trailer dolly, rather than buy one?

What is the approximate tongue weight of a 24' Argosy?

Can anyone think of a better way to get the trailer in?

Couple of things to consider: we would only be moving the trailer once every few months, so its OK if its a bit of a hassle to get in and out. Also, the goal is to get as close as we can to parallel with the fence - but I know completely parallel may not be possible. And yes, there is a reason why it must be parallel to the fence! Thanks for the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Parking Situation.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	166476
Wgbarrbevco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I and several others on the forum use a small farm tractor or forklift to move trailers.
If you have a somewhat older truck, you can mount a receiver on the front to maneuver the trailer.
If the area is paved or concrete, you can get a set of go-jacks, put them under the trailer's tires, and simply shove it around on them.
An Argosy 24 has quite a bit of tongue weight, I don't think it will be easy to move by hand.

*skyhooks?*
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Oh, forgot to mention that the parking spot is concrete and level. no incline at all
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
No answer, but would it not be easier to put a gate in the fence and back straight in?
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
I would bet that Argosy has a 450-500 pound tongue weight. I would lose the light post!

Ken
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgbarrbevco View Post
Oh, forgot to mention that the parking spot is concrete and level. no incline at all
I'd look into the GoJacks option, then.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I've heard rumors about using two steel plate and grease under the dual axles with a wheel under the jack.

I'd love to see if that theory works!

Do you intend on doing this often?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
No answer, but would it not be easier to put a gate in the fence and back straight in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
I would bet that Argosy has a 450-500 pound tongue weight. I would lose the light post!
Unfortunately, its not our property. We are renting space, so we can't alter anything, including the fence and light post.

The GoJacks option looks promising...is it actually possible to move something that heavy on them? WHen using the GoJacks, do you just put a standard wheel under the tongue?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Do you intend on doing this often?
No, in fact, we'd only move it once every few months at the most...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
You can move a car easily on a flat surface with the GoJacks, I don't see a problem with the Argosy.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgbarrbevco View Post
Unfortunately, its not our property. We are renting space, so we can't alter anything, including the fence and light post.

The GoJacks option looks promising...is it actually possible to move something that heavy on them? WHen using the GoJacks, do you just put a standard wheel under the tongue?
I would call the GoJacks people and talk to someone who can understand your specs for trailer/tongue weight. Give exact measurements of your space and what you are trying to do. From your diagram it looks as if you are storing in a very very tight space. 2 ft to spare? From the video, it looks as if it was for boat trailers. Your Argosy is a lot different than that. Twere me, I'd sure ask if I could put a gate in. Lot less work when you want to travel, may be slightly higher in cost, but a lot less trouble. I'd keep the original fencing and re-install, take my gate(s) with me when I moved. Personally I would get tired of trying to push and pull my AS in and out of that very tight spot after more than 1 time. Just think of trying to back in a tight spot at an rv park, then what you want to do here.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Has anyone every used GoJacks or anything similar on their trailers?

Do you think I could get away with just using one pair (two gojacks) or would I need a full set of four?

What do you think about these as a similar, much cheaper option:

Mechanical Wheel Dolly - 1250 Lb. Capacity

When using gojacks, would I just put a standard caster under the tongue jack?