Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Front End Hitch

I have a very tight space to back Aunt Bee into. I have been considering installing a front end hitch on my truck. It's a Silverado 1500. I have read the posts regarding front end hitches and would appreciate more input from those of you who have had a front end hitch installed for the purpose of parking your Airstream.

I am not really interested in the Powercasters etc.....

What should I be considering so I do the right thing? Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
What mirrors are you working with? A large set of mirrors will greatly improve your ability to back into a tight spot. If you have only a parabolic mirror on the passenger side replace it with a normal mirror and add a small parabolic for the open road.

The attachment shows an aftermarket mirror set with a parabolic from an Toyota pickup attached in the lower left corner. This combination gives good vision in all situations.

Unless your tightness will be on the drivers side when using a front hitch I would reconsider. You will loose the sight of the passenger side with a front hitch. A front hitch might be nice to have if you wanted to back the trailer several hundred feet across an open field but you will have much more control backing with a rear hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	69231  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Unless you are parking in a tight fit shed, pushing a trailer to park is much easier than backing one. I back into a shed, but installed hiway reflectors so I can run the curb side tires over them and park perfectly every time. The same would work if you were pushing the trailer. Either paint a stripe you can see, or buy reflectors and glue them down. You only have to see one side, no matter whether you push or back. If you have a 'nose' receiver, it is a great spot for a bicycle rack!
Good luck.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks so much for the replies folks! If anyone has experience with a front end hitch, please let me know what I should be considering for my installation. Example: Will my tongue weight be too much for it if I just want to use it to push the trailer in? I am not sure how much tongue weight is too much for the front end vs. the rear end of my truck.....installation challenges etc...

Thanks again
Old 10-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Steve,
I just checked the drawtite web site for a 2004 Silverado 1500 front end hitch receiver. Your max vertical wt (tongue wt) is 500 pounds.
This was for a 1500, not the 1500HD. I doubt, however, there will be much difference. Looks like it won't work for you. Double check this, please.
Scott

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Double check?

Hmmm...the Airstream Trailer Weights chart shows that a '66 Safari has a tongue weight of 377 which is well under the 500 lbs Scott noted...should be fine IMO. You are only moving the trailer, not really towing it at speed...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I once welded one up for the front of a F-150. Bolted it to the frame rails by the bumper. I wasn’t so concerned about tongue weights or longevity. I doubt the slow speeds involved put any undue strain on it. Like you I had to "tread the eye of the needle" so to speak.
Being able to see directly out the cab along the side of the rig made it a snap to position it correctly.
Never used it while camping.
I say give it a try. Unless it's overly expensive I don’t think there’s a downside. You might even be able to get fancy with it. I saw one where the receiver was hidden behind the fold up front license plate.

Good luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
It is great for so many uses. One thing the instructions say it if you have had any front end damage it will not fit.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
From experience I recommend a long drawbar/ballmount.

Even though that will increase leverage on your front hitch, compared to a short bar, you'll need the clearance to make tight turns. (I have to remove the propane tank cover before making my turn-in.)

For me there's also a fair difference in drawbar height, front v. rear. More so if you have a change in elevation to contend with when parking that thing, like an uphill driveway meeting a flat street.

For tight spots there's no substitute for having steering wheels by the hitch!

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks for all the input everyone!! I am going to go for it. Now the neighbors will have to find someone else to laugh at when they see me push Aunt Bee in on the first try.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
you might want to check a site out at www.bodiak.com.i have a 2005 excursion that i did not want to remove my fog lights which a hidden hitch installation required.installed this device -bodiak-which mounts by grabbing the front tow hooks on the truck.i use it to mount a bike rack ,but i believe its good for 500 lbs of tongue weight.may work for what you need.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Front hitch? I wouldn't be without one. I use mine all the time for tight or precise maneuvering. I have even done two trailers at once, one in front and one in back while launching boats at a ramp. You should have seen the looks I got. Don't think I would try that on the road.
I built my own hitch and firmly bolted it to the frame.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I use my John Deer 955 30 hp tractor to move my air stream around the property... I wouldn't worry about the front end weight.. Its only for a short period and slow moves... Glad you gonna go for it.. it should make things easier....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks everyone!!! I have been researching the Bodiak's and should have one ordered this week
Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1971 21' Globetrotter
santa clarita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I have a very tight space to back Aunt Bee into. I have been considering installing a front end hitch on my truck. It's a Silverado 1500. I have read the posts regarding front end hitches and would appreciate more input from those of you who have had a front end hitch installed for the purpose of parking your Airstream.

I am not really interested in the Powercasters etc.....

What should I be considering so I do the right thing? Thanks for your help!
I thought it would help me getting up a 150 foot drive. (I lost two transmissions on my Surburban, steep driveway). Used the front hitch once - - I might as well have just closed my eyes and gone up the hill. I could not see a thing, and gave it up. I do not have a person to use as a spotter, so there you go.
canman1 is offline   Reply With Quote