Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Guelph , ontario
[QUOTE.
That this is going to be one harsh ride for that Airstream. 1 ton pickup might not be an issue for a 34' slide out given it's got some weight, but a 20 is like a flea riding on an elephant. I would consider a very entry level airsafe hitch or equiv. Now I would caution you, a lot of people...myself included, buy the cute small Airstream, then realize you know, I really shoulda gotten a 25 or 28. If you have ANY thought at some point on getting a larger Airstream (or other larger trailer) get a bit larger Airhitch than you need. Yes, it does push the connection back about a foot, but the ride is very smooth. You could use a Class 4 with what you have and have a bit of room to spare. I have the Class 6 and it's a monster and a PITA to get into the receiver, but my ride quality was unbelievably better and I stopped popping the occasional rivet after going to it.

https://airsafehitches.com/receiver-hitch/[/QUOTE]

I'll check with them in the morning, but just wondering, is the airsafe hitch adjustable for the air pressure? The class 4 is rated 9000 lbs.. 900 lb tongue weight.. Would it even deflect with the Bambi? My (33 ft.) Spartan is only 5500-6500 lbs on 2 axles.. I like the idea though.
For my two-axle, I've been looking at these; https://www.standardaxle.ca/product/...t013-143-03-2/

Now I see these ones; https://www.morryde.com/products/cre3000-triple/

What brave new world that has such things for old trailers..
Spartan Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Readfield , Maine
Watch the rivets pop

That is a lot of truck for an itty bitty trailer. Be careful on bumpy roads, or you are bound to be popping rivets left, right & center.
Greg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
To me a sway bar can't hurt. With that big truck you could be driving down the highway with that trailer swaying like a drunken sailor and you'd never know. That is until you reach your campsite only to find the trailer fell off the hitch miles back. An exaggeration for sure, trailers can and do sway no matter what's towing them.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote