Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

2018 16' Sport
Holmes , New York
Question First time purchase tow hitch questions

We are about to buy our first Airstream (2019 Sport 16) and want to be sure we get the best towing setup. Feedback on the questions below and any other guidance would be appreciated:
1. I know the trailer has electric brakes. Is an electronic brake controller a separate component or part of the system?
2. I saw mention of a manual trailer brake controller being used from the tow vehicle. Is this a common installation? Does it need to be done by the dealerbor is it DIY?
3. The Airstream towing guide recommends a friction sway damper or a hitch with built-in sway control. Does the trailer come with this? If not, is this something that should be installed by the dealer?
4. Stabilizer bars are also recommended. The dealer is suggesting the Equal-I-zer brand E-2 600# setup. Is this a quality brand?

Thanks,
Mark and Beth
MarkandBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkandBeth View Post
We are about to buy our first Airstream (2019 Sport 16) and want to be sure we get the best towing setup. Feedback on the questions below and any other guidance would be appreciated:
1. I know the trailer has electric brakes. Is an electronic brake controller a separate component or part of the system?
2. I saw mention of a manual trailer brake controller being used from the tow vehicle. Is this a common installation? Does it need to be done by the dealerbor is it DIY?
3. The Airstream towing guide recommends a friction sway damper or a hitch with built-in sway control. Does the trailer come with this? If not, is this something that should be installed by the dealer?
4. Stabilizer bars are also recommended. The dealer is suggesting the Equal-I-zer brand E-2 600# setup. Is this a quality brand?

Thanks,
Mark and Beth
1. Separate. I recommend the Tekonsha P-3. Seems to be the gold standard. (Some late model trucks have a brake controller built in with varying results.) It's not a part of the trailer. When you step on the brakes, it takes the signal from the brake lights and applies a certain amount to the trailer brakes.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...70_&dpSrc=srch

2. Mine was plug and play. My 2015 Tundra was prewired at the factory for a brake controller. All I had to do was watch the YouTube video, buy the correct adaptor, and plug in the P-3. It should have been a 15 minute job, but I stretched it to an hour because I took off the dash panel to mount the bracket.
At worst, the controller has 4 wires. A. Brake light. B. Ground. C. 12 v.battery D. wire to trailer brakes.

3. No. It's part of the hitch. I'm happy with the Equalizer brand hitch. Anti-Sway is built in.

4. Yes.
But what are you using as a tow vehicle? It needs a 2" receiver (or larger) and a 7 way RV plug to utilize the trailer wiring. Tow package is a plus but with a 16' not critical.
Also, you could buy the hitch yourself on Amazon. It's not rocket surgery and knowing how it works is good. The dealer will charge you about $300 extra, but mount and adjust everything. If you don't have large wrenches, then it's not a bad idea to have an expert do it once.
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...70_&dpSrc=srch
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
MollysDad answered your questions nicely. I am a big fan of the Prodigy as well. It is important to know that the P2 and P3 controllers are proportional controllers. This means that as you apply the brakes the degree of application is proportional to the inertia of your vehicle. If you slowly approach a stop sign the brakes will be applied in a smooth and even way. If you have to slam on the brakes the inertia of the vehicle is felt as you are thrown into your seatbelts. The controller will apply the brakes in a matching fashion. A timed controller, or sometimes called a solid state controller, will apply more pressure proportional to the time that has passed. So, a slow application of brakes as you approach a stop sign can, and often will, lock up your brakes. In the case of an emergency where little time will pass before you collide with the cause, the brakes might not ever fully engage.

I had my P2 in my old 4Runner and when I purchased my new '08 Tundra I changed it myself. It is an easy DIY project. I just purchased a new '17 Tundra that came with an integrated controller which I discovered was a timed controller! I removed it, purchased a mounting bracket and am now using my old P2. These are very good controllers. I understand that the big 3 automakers have installed good proportional controllers in their new vehicles. I love my Toyota but they really missed the boat on this thing.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:

Thanks,
Mark and Beth
There are many good trailer towing set ups out there. Prices range from several hundreds to several thousands. You will find this forum and the people that belong to be very useful, entertaining, opinionated, and full of experience from all walks of life.

Which or what is best towing set up is good question. From what I have read and experienced the past 40 years it gets down to tow vehicle, trailer size, and what you feel/comfort for you is safe, controllable, and piece of mind. White knuckles is not fun.

I kindly suggest before you purchase, do your research, read the threads on this forum, may take a few days. It is good reading, suggest keeping an open mind. Best of luck.

We use Blue Ox Sway Pro and are very happy w/this set up, it just works for us.

Best regards and safe travels
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Depending on your tow vehicle, you may not need a weight distributing hitch. Just tow on the ball with a sway bar. No one can help you until you reveal what you are towing with.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Penn Yan , New York
Hook up

I agree with the P3 controller. I installed it on my f150. My 150 has the trailer tow package and with the correct adapter plugged right in.
I had the Airstream mechanic hook up and adjust the hitch. He was great. Showed me how to hook it up and adjusted the brake controller. He stated that I would probably change the settings of the controller to my preferences. I did increase the brake settings.
If your tow vehicle is new enough then the controller is already installed if it has the trailer tow package.
It’s good to have everything set up initially by a professional.
Good luck.
delrossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Been running a P3 and Equalizer hitch for 8 years on my 4200 lb. 1968 Tradewind. Very happy with both. My son has an SOB (some other brand) with the same controller and an Equalizer and is equally happy. Lots of good hitches but you can't go wrong with the P3 and Equalizer.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #8

2018 16' Sport
Holmes , New York
Thanks to all for the quick input. I will be towing with a new Subaru Ascent. This is a new model for 2019 and is little bigger than a Toyota Highlander. It has a towing package with 5000 lb capacity so should be fine for the 16 Sport.
MarkandBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
The specs on this Subaru say 2000 lbs tow weight and 200 lbs hitch weight. The 16 sport will exceed those weights, especially when the trailer and car are loaded and family (#?) members are added. You may want to look at other TV's.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
The specs on this Subaru say 2000 lbs tow weight and 200 lbs hitch weight. The 16 sport will exceed those weights, especially when the trailer and car are loaded and family (#?) members are added. You may want to look at other TV's.
You mustn’t be looking at the Subaru Ascent - the spec states 2270 kg (5,000 lbs.) towing.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
https://www.thecarconnection.com/spe...4t-8-passenger

Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Another suggestion. I would not just tow your trailer "on the ball". I would get a hitch with built in sway control. I towed a 21 ft white box with my '03 Totota 4Runner a long time ago. It had a V8 and towed the trailer well. But, because it was not a PU it sat down considerably when we hooked up the trailer. I think your TV will react much the same. A WD hitch will help level the trailer and level the TV as well. With built in sway control there will be no need to attach a separate sway bar. The sway prevention will already be there.

Good advice above. There are many discussions about all the various options. Read through them and don't hesitate to send a PM to anyone who has a similar set up to yours. What works for a 30 footer being towed by a one ton diesel might not be the best combination for a smaller and lighter set up .

I have always used an Equalizer and a Prodigy brake controller. When I got a larger trailer I also got a larger Equalizer. Over 40K miles on my current trailer and I remain happy with the setup . But, there are more options out there today than I had in '09.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:

Thanks,
Mark and Beth
I think you have received some very good towing advice here. There are no doubts that you will need to choose an appropriate Weight Distribution (WD)Hitch. The Blue Ox, Equalizer or Reese StediFlex are all fantastic antisway WD hitchs. Order online or through a dealer.....but let the trailer dealer install for first time use....and he will need your tow vehicle during the install and make all necessary adjustments.

Once the dealer installs the WD hitch, and everything is towing great, take a dozen photos of your hitch hookup to document the positions and placement of all brackets and this is just in case something slips during towing....you can always move them back to the original setup according to your photos.

I use the P3 brake controller...purchased on Amazon and installed by my local Toyota dealer. The P3 is best in the world.

Your 2019 Subaru Accent has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. Thats a 3000lb increase compared to the model year 2018 towing capacity of 2000lbs. But It looks like a perfect fit for your Airsteam 16' Sport. Good Luck on your new Airstream.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:49 AM   #14
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Maybe you should look at the Subaru site not a third party (or maybe the Canadian Subaru has more towing capacity.)

https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?W...SAAEgK0NPD_BwE
Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
A lot depends on your tow vehicle. I have an F150 with Towing package and have pulled a 27 foot without brake controller. It was not recommended but since I was going to get a new truck I was not going to add a controller early. My new truck also an F150 has a brake controller and I really do not recognize any difference.

The E2 recommendation is perfect hitch and you will be pleased.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Congrats on your new Bambi! I just traded in my 22fb Sport for a larger model but can share my experience with the Sport. Firstly it towed like a dream. I used the Podigy break controller system which is a great system. As far as the hitch and weight distribution system I used the equalizer system your dealer suggested. It is a very hearty system. If you are interested I am selling my hitch and equalizer system since I needed a different set up for my new Airstream.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Ps when you buy a break controller system, which I believe is ESSENTIAL, you can reinstall it on a new rig if you ever decide to change Airstream models.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
We have an equal I zer E4. It works great however, when turning slowly, like pulling into your site at a campground, it is VERY creaky and noisy. I looked online and this sounds common.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrb View Post
We have an equal I zer E4. It works great however, when turning slowly, like pulling into your site at a campground, it is VERY creaky and noisy. I looked online and this sounds common.
Won't cure %100 but for us it cured about %99.999 with the use of:

High Performance Lubricant and Sway Bracket Jacket (pair)
It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The importance of that expression doubles in significance if you made the conscious decision to "go without it" and then ended up needing it.
EarStreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:20 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Kennesaw , Georgia
We’ll give that a try. Thank you.
wsrb is offline   Reply With Quote