Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
We've traveled about 3000 miles since installing the Fiamma rack onto the back of our 2012 Serenity. No issues to report. The bikes stay cleaner than when they hung off the back of my class C - must be the superior aerodynamics of the Airstream.
I think the rack is designed well. The bikes go on and off very quickly and are held much more securely than some of the hitch mounted racks I have used in the past.
abutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
This is the home page for Arvika. They have the bike racks for over the propane tanks on the front of your trailer.

Arvika - Home

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Like this?
They are called Arvika. Made and sold out of Ontario. I like it a lot.
Actually, maybe it was Quebec....I do recall a language issue while ordering.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Some answers to questions you forgot to ask.

Bike Racks | Car Bicycle Racks - Consumer Reports

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Can you still open the front window with the rack installed?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Very interesting to see some of the rigs that folks come up with. I did buy the Fiamma at JC and installed it. Took the two bikes on the new rack down to FL in December. They worked great. I did carefully follow the install video on You Tube (a big help). While there are some comments on how ugly this is, I guess this is in the eye of the beholder. I can access both the bumper compartment and the "trunk" without major problems (though you have to work around the bike wheels with your elec cord and hose). It is most definitely a secure and solid way to carry your bikes -- which is what I was looking for in the first place.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #26
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
We recently installed the Fiamma rack on the rear of our 23' Airstream Safari. We find that the bikes are very secure on this rack. Also we drove through slush and lots of rain and the bikes did not get all that dirty. We used to carry our racks on the roof of our Sequoia using Thule Big Mouth upright racks. We find that using the Fiamma is a lot easier and quicker than installing the Thule roof rack and and mounting the bikes on top of the Sequoia.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutters View Post
Can you still open the front window with the rack installed?
No, even with it folded down, it is still just a bit too tall. BUT, the whole thing lifts off of its mounting posts with 3 hand knob set screws. Not a big deal if the bikes are off.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Installed the Fiamma bike rack on my 2006 classic 28'. Drove 1000 miles with bikes attached and am very pleased. Mounting on top of the bumper required some creativity as there is space between the plastic bumper cover and the frame of the AS. I added washers in this space to stop the plastic from collapsing and ultimately cracking. I also opted to install through the frame bolts on 2 of the 3 mounting points on each side as opposed to self tapping screws. Time will tell how it holds up but as I said, I'm pleased with all aspects at this point.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 Basecamp
Yulee , FL
Our Fiamma has carried bikes for over 6000 miles so far on the back of our 2012 International. No problems. Easy on and off. Very secure with little or no movement once the bikes are secured with the cinch straps.
And the aerodynamics of the Airstream leaves the bikes with much less road grime than when I had bikes on the rear of my Class C.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Road grime would be my biggest concern.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm thinking this bike rack is the best solution for me.

What is the length of the tire channels on this rack. I don't have any bikes yet but the wheelbases seem to range from 43" to 46".

Does AS charge sales tax for online orders? Do you save the shipping cost by ordering the bike rack from an AS dealer?

Has anyone used a cover on the bikes while towing?

When drilling into the rivet line for the top brackets do all four screws go into a frame member or only the outboard screws? If the inboard screws only go into the outside aluminum skin can the hole be stripped if tightened too much?

When installing the brackets on the bumper of a Classic do they use screws or nuts an bolts?

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Haven't really looked too closely at these but I did call the local dealer here in NJ. They have them in stock and will sell /install for $700. I see no problem with the cover EXCEPT that it might block the taillights so beware of that. Good idea though if they are not blocked. I'd like to see one installed up close before I'd pay that much to have them do it. I really can't see it being very difficult to put on.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
bike rack

I don't think my husband would agree that it was all that easy to put the bike rack on our 2011 34' classic.....I thought he was going to commit an unthinkable act today...he was very frustrated with the design and assembly of the rack and it came without bolts.....

My husband has been a mechanic for over 34 years. He has worked for dealerships, independent garages and currently works for a racing school training other mechanics.....and he was completely toast today by the time he was done. He finally gave up after getting three of the four bolts in.......hope it holds!
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Maybe having the dealer put it on is not so bad a thought afterall. I was hoping to get a closer look at one while at the Florida Rally back in Feb. There were some there but I never got around to it.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
While camping the weekend before memorial day I saw a gentleman staring at the back of my trailer and the he started to approach the trailer. I flew out the trailer thinking I had an issue with the trailer. After speaking with the fellow I found out he was taken with the Fiamma bike rack and it's design. The bike rack works well and if I didn't have it I would not have take my bikes, mine was thrown in as a deal sweetener and I am glad it was.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by megandrudy View Post
I don't think my husband would agree that it was all that easy to put the bike rack on our 2011 34' classic.....I thought he was going to commit an unthinkable act today...he was very frustrated with the design and assembly of the rack and it came without bolts.....

.....and he was completely toast today by the time he was done. He finally gave up after getting three of the four bolts in.......hope it holds!
Are you referring to the bolts to attached the bumper mounts or all the bolts that connect the tubing?

If its the bumper mounts, do you have to partially disassemble the bumper corners to install them?

After looking at the AS video installation of the bike rack it appears to me the installation might be easies on the Safari, Intl, and FC vs the Classics just due to the bumper. I wish AS would make a video showing how to install the brackets on the Classic bumper

Doesn't putting bikes on the back of any vehicle tends to block or partially block the tail lights yet companies are allowed to manufacture hitch bike racks too. Of the photos I've seen with the rack installed with a couple of bikes they do partially obscure the taillights. Anyone get pulled over by the police?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , Washington
Bike Rack

We added the bike rack and it works as intended. Clears the rear storage door fine.
A good addition in MHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4076.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	187852  
bigmikeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
At first I didn't like the look of it back there but I'm getting used to it. Perhaps because I have seen several now, it's shiny silver with a touch of red, and Wally even had one.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #39
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Big Mike. From the photo it seems that your trailer does not have a rear cabinet door to open. Ours has a full width door that opens downward for storage access as well as a sliding drawer below the bumper. Now the rack looks to not interfere with the bumper storage drawer but do you think it would obstruct the cabinet door from opening ???

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 06-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi Big Mike. From the photo it seems that your trailer does not have a rear cabinet door to open. Ours has a full width door that opens downward for storage access as well as a sliding drawer below the bumper. Now the rack looks to not interfere with the bumper storage drawer but do you think it would obstruct the cabinet door from opening ???
Since I only have the bumper storage, I have no idea if it would obstruct a cabinet door. All I know is everything is clear on ours.....
bigmikeeb is offline   Reply With Quote