Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2023, 10:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Equalizer sway control adjustment

I have gone from a Chevy 2500 to a 1500 towing my Airstream, do i need to have my Equalizer sway control hitch readjusted for the smaller truck. I have a 26ft Flying Cloud that comes in at about 6000lb.
Sandlapper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper56 View Post
I have gone from a Chevy 2500 to a 1500 towing my Airstream, do i need to have my Equalizer sway control hitch readjusted for the smaller truck. I have a 26ft Flying Cloud that comes in at about 6000lb.
Wow John....what is the payload on the 1500 drivers door sticker? You know, many here (including me) would be cautious on maxing out with the 1/2T and a 25 or larger, but there are some models of GM and Ford that have great capability in this area. My F150 handled my 25' fine; my Tahoe's did not! Underpowered and payload main concerns. You may be fine, and surely you already know the advantages of the 1/2T vs the 3/4T for everyday driving. As for SC on your equalizer, not sure the model? Most newer WDH from Equalizer have SC built into the hitch, as do most new WDH from other brands. Best to weigh your rig and the tongue to know where you actually are.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
My Silverado is rated to tow 9,000lb, with a max tongue wt of 950lb.
Old 01-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I tow a 26' FC with a Tundra and have no problems...except the tongue weight is higher than the advertised 903#. Mine, on the Sherwood scale is a hefty 1125#. I'm using 1000# bars on the Equalizer, meaning I'm at or above the bars limit.
I currently use 7 washers to add tilt and therefore more bar force on the "L" pads. I can go to 8. I hesitate to change because the darn thing tows so beautifully.
The bottom line is Yes, you'll probably need adjusting, because the 1500 will be sprung more softly than the previous tow vehicle. It's easy, you'll need a breaker bar with a 1 1/8" socket, and another 1 1/8" wrench to hold the bolt.
Unmount the head from the shank, drop in another washer, or two on the "rivet" (start with 6) and reassemble. Note 1. There's a small bolt you'll loosen and tighten to keep the head solid against the shank.
Note 2. Any hardened 3/4" washer will work. I get mine from Lowe's as grade 8 washers. Cheap.

You can reassemble the hitch and check the stance before the final tightening of the 3/4 main bolts. They need about 150 ft/lb of torque as I recall. If you don't have a torque wrench, math is your friend. My breaker bar is 2' long, so I can apply 75# of downward force to achieve 150 ft/lb.
Hint: you can rotate the shank in the receiver so you're always pushing down. Step on the breaker bar if needed. Don't push up, it's hard on your back and can bash the tailgate if you slip.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I downloaded the Chevy truck trailering guide.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...-ebrochure.pdf

Trailering weights began at page 33.
I don't know what combination package you have, but in every case Chevrolet added this note.
Quote:
Tongue Weight Notes Trailer tongue weight should be 10% to 15% of total loaded trailer weight. Some specific trailer types fall outside of this range. In these cases, the recommended tongue weight listed in the trailer Owner’s Manual should be observed. The addition of trailer tongue weight must not cause vehicle to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR), Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) or Max Trailer Tongue Load.
The trailering guide did not specify a maximum tongue weight, but it indicates your owner's manual does.

IF the tow vehicle is capable of towing 9000#, then one could surmise that a tongue weight of 1350# is acceptable unless that exceeds your rear axle gross weight rating.
I think you'll be surprised at the tongue weight of the 26. I was.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 03:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
I believe the tongue weight on my 26' Flying cloud is 900#, max lounge weight for my Chevy is 950# without Equalizer a/s-w/d hitch.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
I believe the tongue weight on my 26' Flying cloud is 900#, max lounge weight for my Chevy is 950# without Equalizer a/s-w/d hitch.
Couple questions on the "tongue weight" and your Silverado's door sticker's "max" payload? Best to weigh your tongue on the Airstream loaded up to know accurate. My spec says 976# on my 28'; actual tongue weight is 1100 per scales. (see attached picture) The 26U at that time was 903# in 2017, so 900lbs spec is close on your rig. (Don't know about your other AS.)

As always, best to weigh and know for sure. For the Silverado, good to have too much payload rather than not enough...the door sticker is key if your concerned. Especially if your carrying any weight in the bed like generator, camp supplies, etc.. This also should include the passengers of course.

I have a picture from of the "max payload" from a door jam sticker on a 1/2T Silverado in 2018 in first picture. Note the payload on that truck is 1323#. My max payload on my F250 is my door is 2144#.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Payload sticker example 2018 Denali.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	427387   Click image for larger version

Name:	scale weights.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	427388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Payload sticker.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	334.3 KB
ID:	427389  
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Without getting to crazy here:

The weight of tongue of the trailer goes onto the back of the truck.

The Equalizer bars and stuff go onto the back of the truck

The shank and ball go back there as well.

If you are the receiver on the truck, then all of that is "out there somewhere" and much of it counts against the rating on the receiver.

Just what all those add on's plus the real tongue weight come up to is very much worth digging into if you are anywhere near close.

Next up is payload. Even if the receiver on the truck is happy with 1350 pounds, there's that pesky payload number there on the door sticker. With both of us and the dogs in the cab, we would put the payload well over 2,000 pounds with nothing in the back of the truck. What you haul and have along will be specific to you.

Heading over to the CAT scales with the fully loaded / ready to go rig is about the only way to really be sure of some of this.

While this or that rig may be "in spec" by the numbers, that may not mean it's going to be any fun to drive down the road. Some outfits come up with numbers that apply at sea level and 45 MPH. Head over the Rockies and those numbers drop by 20% ... yikes ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi
While this or that rig may be "in spec" by the numbers, that may not mean it's going to be any fun to drive down the road.
Bob
Excellent point. We are currently on the road (driven 2000 miles in the last week, going SW) and being able to hold your own in heavy semi trailer traffic, up and down grades, getting into the traffic flow without the white knuckles, being able to carry the stuff you need when you are going to be on the road for months in varying climate conditions without worrying that you are exceeding or barely meeting the specs of your TV, was critical in our decision to go to a 2500 HD diesel with our 28' International. And during this past week we were really happy with our decision. We saw many 1/2 tons hauling big 5th wheels with their rear ends angling down; they probably will make it to their destination, but that's not for us... to each his own.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote