Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Installation Inspection

I'll be taking a close look at mine this weekend as well.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, Randy, for posting the detailed and very helpful response from Josh Jones, of Equalizer Customer Support.
This morning I inspected my Equalizer Sway Control brackets and noted that my curbside bracket bottom bolt is also through the bottom hole, enclosing the copper propane line and causing the "pinching and bowing" effect. I took some photos of this, which I will post here this evening.
As Josh points out, what needs to be done is to put that bolt through the correct hole that is just under the A-frame, so that the bracket maintains flush contact with the A-frame. But first, the propane line needs to be lowered enough for the ½" diameter bolt to pass through.

Josh’s detailed response should facilitate the appropriate response and correction by the dealer who originally installed it. I’ll be taking mine back to the dealer.

Thank you!

SilverGate
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Equal-i-zer Sway Control brackets (photos)

So here is the photo of my Equalizer street-side Sway Control bracket
Which appears to be mounted correctly with the bottom bolt through the holes closest to the A-frame. This helps the Link Plates hold better as they are making flush contact on both sides of the A-frame beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0919 equalizer streetside.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	39080  
Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
And here is the photo of my Equalizer curb-side Sway Control bracket
Note that the bottom bolt goes through the bottom holes of the bracket!
It should have gone in the next set of holes up, the holes closest to the A-frame…
But the propane gas line is there… and this line should have been lowered enough for the ½" bolt to pass through directly under the A-frame beam!

Josh’s instructions are also seen as part of the Equalizer Installation Instructions on page 2:
Instruction #7.c: " Insert the 2nd ½" bolt through the hole in the outside link plate that is nearest the bottom of the trailer frame."

You can see the "pinching & bowing" effect that resulted in the dealer placing the bolt through the lower hole and not taking time to move the gas line so that the bolt could have been placed correctly.

Thanks again, Josh and Randy!

SilverGate
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0918 Equalizer curbside close-up.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39081  
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Well, at least this concern got me my fourth rivet!

This evening I took a closer look at those Sway Control brackets…
And I could see some "pinching & bowing" effect even on the street-side brackets!

(BTW, click on the above photos to see them enlarged).

As Josh indicated, there are probably many people out there with curbside Equalizer brackets mounted "incorrectly" on their Airstream trailers (as pictured above).

So now, I’d like to get input from all of you with Airstream trailers with curb-side Equalizer Sway Control brackets mounted as I have and have had their trailer/Equalizer set-up for a year or more.

Please post your experience here…
Has your Equalizer performed well over the year(s) even though the curbside bracket is mounted this way (lower bolt in the lower hole below the gas line)?
Or in other words, do you have any problems with the Equalizer mounted this way?

Those of you who have had it "corrected"… did it make a difference & was it worth it?

My bottom-line concern: is it really worth it to take the trailer back to the dealer for this correction?

Thanks,
SilverGate
Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
This is interesting. I just started following this thread tonight and went out in the dark to look. I'm also seeing the bolt in the lower hole, but I'll need daylight to see if there is pinching or bowing going on. I think the street side bracket became loose last year. It too is using the lower hole even though no gas line is on that side. That L bracket wobbles slightly whereas the curb side bracket with the gas line is as tight as a drum. I tightened things up last year on street side but obviously it has worked loose again. This hitch was installed by my dealer.

I'll check this out tomorrow morning much more closely. The hitch has performed superbly up to this point. I was pulling in steady 45 mph winds last Thursday with most of those miles as a tail wind. I did travel about 30 miles or so with that wind hitting me directly in the side. The person following me saw no sway as well as I didn't notice any.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #27
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Man...I hate to diss anybody, but all the time spent talking about this incorrect bracket install you could have fixed it already!
This is a 5 min job!
Take out the bolt, pull the LP line down, slip the bolt under the line, re-torque bolt! If needed, put another hanger on the LP line (you may not even need it).
You must learn to travel self sufficiently; that would include making MINOR adjustments like this.
What would you guys do if you had a major malfunction?
C'mon get out there and get your hands dirty...this is NO BIG DEAL!
I would not continue to travel like this...didn't you read Josh's response?

Sorry for all the razzin...but really this is a 5 MIN JOB!

Bill
Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Bill, what did you use to secure your gas line in the lower position. I can't go check mine at the moment...will have to wait 'till this evening to see how it is set up now. How will you keep the gas line from rubbing the threads of the bolt? What torque did you use when you re-inserted the bolt and tightened the nut? I don't think I have the directions since my dealer installed my hitch.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
SilverGate: I won't be able to get to my Airstream until Saturday, but since it is a 23 like yours, I’m pretty sure I'll find the same installation. As I said earlier in this thread, it's my curbside that keeps coming loose, which we now know is a symptom of an incorrect installation.

BillTex: I'll be taking my tool box with me on Saturday, and if it's as easy as you say to fix, it will get done, and I'll post some pictures for everyone. You're right, we need to be self-sufficient out there and not travel with an unsafe hitch installation. Please answer Minnie's Mate's questions. The additional information from one who has made the fix will be helpful.

Thanks,

Randy

Old 06-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Tom,

You can down load a PDF with the install instructions here.

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - Support - Installation Instructions & Parts Breakdown

A quick check of my install indicates that I need to lower the propane line and reinstall the bolt in the correct hole. I will do that later today! More proof that this fourm is very valuable. Thanks to all for their assistance.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I don't think I have the directions since my dealer installed my hitch.
Tom,

Here are the instructions.

Randy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf equalizer_instructions.pdf (1.02 MB, 119 views)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #32
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
You can use a piece of garden hose/PVC hose as a chafing guard to put around LP line. I was able to pull my LP line down an inch or so very easily, didn’t need to use any other hangers. You may be able to just eliminate one hanger to create some slack if necessary. If you don’t want to do that PVC wire hangers are commonly available (often used to hang cable TV/coax wire).

Install sheet for Eq hitch attached...never mind...

Really, this is easy. Don't travel with an improper hitch install (shame on the "dealer" that did it) don't pinch an LP line (can you say BOOM!) and yes, this forum is valuable. Sure is nice to give, instead of recieve for a change...

Bill
Old 06-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks guys. When it comes to fix-its, I'm not afraid to admit that I have two left hands. If I have the instructions (yes, I will actually follow them, especially if they have pictures ) or if I have observed it being done before, as in the DIY Network, I can usually do it. But when it comes to coming up with creative solutions, I'm in the dark without a light.

I'll down load the instructions if my gas line proves to be in the way. I've never found my brackets to be loose, but there's no sense in waiting to find out the hard way...when I have to have a replacement one over nighted to the camp ground where I'm staying or worse.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Wrong setup here too

We've had no problems with towing or loose bolts on our equalizer, never the less the setup is incorrect. We have a 4" A-frame and the brackets are bolted through the BOTTOM hole on BOTH the curb and street sides. There is a lot of daylight between the frame and the bolts, so we'll be making adjustments also.

Our hitch was installed by an Airstream dealership just last October. Would it be appropriate to identify the dealership so that others can be forewarned? I will notify them, but will not be making the 1000 mile trip to have them correct the problem.

We've learned so much from the forum, thanks to you all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EqualBracket_N0188.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	39133  
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
From what I have read so far on the thread, all dealers install them incorrectly. That is, they do not move the propane line. My dealer is in Oregon and claims he has been installing them this way for several years.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Well, when I got home from work I went out to check mine. I must have the only Airstream dealer that knows how to install an Equal-i-zer brand hitch correctly. My dealer is Middle Tennessee Airstream and is an Equal-i-zer dealer, but does not stock them. I guess he either keeps the little foam spacers for the gas line in stock or knew to order it when he ordered the hitch.

Photo 1 is the curb side and Photo 2 is the street side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hitch & Gas Line 2.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	39141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitch Street Side.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	39142  

WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Man...I hate to diss anybody, but all the time spent talking about this incorrect bracket install you could have fixed it already!
This is a 5 min job!
Take out the bolt, pull the LP line down, slip the bolt under the line, re-torque bolt! If needed, put another hanger on the LP line (you may not even need it).
You must learn to travel self sufficiently; that would include making MINOR adjustments like this.
What would you guys do if you had a major malfunction?
C'mon get out there and get your hands dirty...this is NO BIG DEAL!
I would not continue to travel like this...didn't you read Josh's response?

Sorry for all the razzin...but really this is a 5 MIN JOB!

Bill
Hi, Bill. Relax, calm down, don't let your blood pressure rise. You're right, it is only a five minute job, but mine has been that way for three years and for many thousands of miles without being a problem. I will re-do mine at a later date; not going anywhere for at least a month and I will more than likely make it an hour job. I will carefully bend [pull down] my propane line, cover it with just the right size heater hose, cut it at the exact length as to look like it was done from the factory, reinstall the "L" bracket mount properly to the frame, and touch up the paint on my "A" frame. Maybe I'll take two hours, OK Bill?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Well, when I got home from work I went out to check mine. I must have the only Airstream dealer that knows how to install an Equal-i-zer brand hitch correctly. My dealer is Middle Tennessee Airstream and is an Equal-i-zer dealer, but does not stock them. I guess he either keeps the little foam spacers for the gas line in stock or knew to order it when he ordered the hitch.

Photo 1 is the curb side and Photo 2 is the street side.
Tom,

In photo one, is that just a piece of that dense gray foam used for packing materials?

Randy

Old 06-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
New Poll

I’m still not sure yet what I’ll do about it. Some say that by the time I get done writing about this, I could have fixed in myself. My cautious side tells me that moving the propane line might void my 2-year Airstream warranty! My Equal-i-zer seems to be working fine and I’m not totally convinced that there will be a problem leaving it this way…

I’ll wait for rgodfrey’s report on his set-up.

In the mean time, I’ll try to get more input from other Equal-i-zer users…

Josh says there may be many people out there with incorrectly installed Equal-i-zer Hitches.

So I started a Community Poll:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232/equal-i-zer-installed-incorrectly-33350.html#post403317
Is your Equal-i-zer brand weight-distribution hitch incorrectly installed, and if so, what do you plan to do about it?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
My hitch was incorrectly installed. Everything worked fine until I went up some very steep, ( 10 to 12%) grades. The bottom of the bracket moved forward putting the bracket at an angle. The bar then rested on the front edge of the bracket and began to wear at that point. The bolts stayed tight. I could have left it that way but I did not like the wear that was occurring. I had the dealer re-install correctly.

If you are not having any difficulty, I would leave it alone until and if you see the condition I described. If that happens, you will have plenty of time to re-install with no problem.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote