Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 22' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Equalizer E4

We are about to get our first airstream a Caravel 22FB. We are about a month away from picking it up so I reached out to the dealership and asked about weight distribution hitch and sway control, He recommended the Equalizer E4. Our tow vehicle is a 2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum. It has the tow package with sway control. I have heard it might be best to disable it when using the equalizer E4. I am not sure if that is accurate so any advice on this would be appreciated. I also would like to be able to open my tailgate and wondering if this will be possible with the Equalizer E4. Any other suggestion for safety that we should look at prior to picking up the AS.

Thanks for any advice you can give as we are excited and nervous newbies...
ToddD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Welcome! At the moment we're in Peachtree City but our home base is central Texas.

The Equalizer will be fine for your rig. Most likely the dealer recommends it because it is the one they carry.

I know nothing about the sway control on the Tundra. Others will comment.

We were complete newbies a year ago. We've put in about 9000 miles since then with our 2017 25FB. Maybe 85 nights.

Your new trailer will have some "break-in" period in which stuff will break. It's a hobby. So read up. Especially, download the manual now and do dry runs through some of the procedures. When you pick up the trailer, make a video of the walk-through and arrange to stay at the dealership overnight in the trailer at least one night. Ask all the questions you can think of. Prepare a list ahead of time after reading the manual.

There are quite a few checklists out there that you can combine with the checklists in the manual. We have checklists for arrival, departure, departure from home, winterizing, food staples to take, etc. I'm happy to share them with you if you want.

If you haven't arranged for installation of the 3" lift, I recommend you do. It is a relatively easy installation if you are moderately handy with tools. Otherwise, take it to Ronnie in Dadeville, Alabama (GMFL on the forum).

After you get the trailer, take it to an empty parking lot and practice backing up...even if you've had experience backing a trailer. Define the fake campground spot with collapsible traffic cones. Ninety degree angles from the left. Again, but from the right. Straight line backing. Plenty of opinions and threads on the forum about how best to do that and I have my own favorite method (google "how to back a trailer like a man"). Don't sweat it, though. After 10 or so real-world experiences you'll have it down pretty well. I had to back into a sharp 45 degree angle one day and had no trouble doing it but that was probably after the 10 backup experiences. So, it ain't rocket science. Go slow. Get out and look around.

For your first couple of thousand miles, find a lane and stay in it, preferably a right lane. Avoid the interstate highways during that period if you can. Keep your speed at 65 mph or lower.

Make sure the gain is set correctly on your brake controller. Lots of advice here on how to do that.

The most important thing to do is to have fun. It is an adventure. If you're not having fun, even when it goes sideways, then you're not doing it right. If you're traveling with a spouse or some other companion, be nice to each other. Keep calm and carry on.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2022 22' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks Fungus. Lot's of great advice I have not thought about doing so very helpful. I am not very handy so will look up Ronnie about the 3" lift.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
All I can address is the sway control issue. The sway control in the truck is reactive. It does not activate unless you already have moderate sway. Since the E4 is supposed to dampen sway (proactive) the truck's should never have to activate. I would not deactivate it.

As far as the tailgate opening, they are all close. There is no way to tell until you hook up if it will be too close.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post
We are about to get our first airstream a Caravel 22FB. We are about a month away from picking it up so I reached out to the dealership and asked about weight distribution hitch and sway control, He recommended the Equalizer E4. Our tow vehicle is a 2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum. It has the tow package with sway control. I have heard it might be best to disable it when using the equalizer E4. I am not sure if that is accurate so any advice on this would be appreciated. I also would like to be able to open my tailgate and wondering if this will be possible with the Equalizer E4. Any other suggestion for safety that we should look at prior to picking up the AS.

Thanks for any advice you can give as we are excited and nervous newbies...
I have the Equalizer and like it a lot. It's very, very adjustable although adjustments might mean disassembly. Not difficult, just time consuming.
I never have sway. (2015 Tundra, Airstream 26U. 1000# bars)
I would caution you to try to find the real tongue weight before you buy the hitch. The real world tongue weight is often higher than what Airstream publishes. In my case Airstream calls it 903 pounds, in reality, on the Sherline scale it's 1125 pounds.
It matters because my 1000# bars are on the soft side and so I need more washers, (tilt) I'm at 7. I'm keeping my eyes open for a used 1200# hitch.

I looked at the specs for your unit and the advertised tongue weight is 430#. Equalizer sells a 600# hitch which might be right for you.

As far as opening the tailgate, wait until you're hooked up. One of three things will happen, the tailgate will clear, the tailgate will clear IF you turn the jack sideways, or the tailgate will clear IF you buy a longer hitch shank.
Come back for more specific advice. All are solvable.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
As for safety...Buy a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). It will alert you to low/high pressure while rolling down the road and may give you enough advance warning to prevent disaster in the event of a tire failure.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Welcome, ToddD! That's a nice trailer - we started with a 22' Sport (Bambi) but the unducted A/C got to me, so we upgraded. You made the right choice with the Caravel.
We use the Equalizer hitch, and have had no problems with handling. It's very easy to connect, especially if you just slide the load bars back so they are balanced on the L brackets while disconnecting.
I see your home base is Atlanta. I suggest you time your trips so you are not driving in heavy traffic. Hone your defensive driving skills, and plan for safe stops. (No following too close! On the interstate, I find a semi traveling at a reasonable speed and stay far enough back that he can see me in his mirrors and people merging onto the interstate have room to slip in. No one zips in from the left to eat up the safe interval, because they can see that there's no point in getting between two lumbering behemoths.)
You're going to love it! Georgia has some of the best parks!
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 22' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
As for safety...Buy a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). It will alert you to low/high pressure while rolling down the road and may give you enough advance warning to prevent disaster in the event of a tire failure.
I did some research last night and it looks like TST 507 Series has good reviews. I also noticed you can use on both rubber and metal valve stems. I am not sure what will come on the Caravel. I am guessing rubber valve stems.

Any other recommendations on. TPMS?
Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddD View Post
I did some research last night and it looks like TST 507 Series has good reviews. I also noticed you can use on both rubber and metal valve stems. I am not sure what will come on the Caravel. I am guessing rubber valve stems.

Any other recommendations on. TPMS?
I have the TST 507 and love it. I highly recommend installing metal valve stems. I did it myself, but it's a dirty job requiring a few tools.
I recommend taking it the wheels off and going to Discount Tire, who carry the Dill 902-W stems you'll need.
You can go to Discount Tire with the trailer, but watch them when jacking. They're nice guys and take advice, but they don't know how an Airstream should be raised, so they'll jack the axle (no, no)

As far as the Equalizer bars, I made two PVC tubes using 2" pipe and common fittings to store the bars. They don't get dinged and everything else stays clean. They just stay in the truck bed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote