Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2002, 08:00 AM   #1

Brookside Village , Texas
Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam Sway Control?

I can not decide which one to get. I have been using a friends draw-tite weight distributing hitch for about a year and now I need to get my own. I know I was not happy with the friction bar on the draw-tite hitch I was using and I can not afford the Hensley or pull rite systems. So I have narrowed it down to the Equal-i-zer or the Reese Dual Cam. Is there one that performs better than the other? I have a 71 31' Excella that I pull with a 2001 Chevrolet extended cab 1/2 ton truck. What is the average hitch weight of a 31' Airstream? I was using spring bars rated for 1000lbs of hitch weight and 10,000lbs of trailer weight. This seemed to be right but I do not really know since I have not been able to weight my trailer. My trailer is rated at a gross trailer weight of 6500lbs.

Thanks, Jaime
Jaime.Martinez@ev1.net
VWMARTINEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Equal-i-zer

Jaime,
I went with the Equal-i-zer after researching several models, I had a reese but it wasnt a dual cam and I didnt like the sway bar found it not very useful in a good crosswind. The equalizer has built in sway control, its easy to hookup and unhook, to date I like it alot and the deciding factor for me was other owners who use it. I bought the heaviest hitch if I ever get a larger trailer I wont have to get another hitch. Check out their website www.equalizerhitch.com you can find the hitch weight of your trailer at the Airstream factory site in the faq section.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2004 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Memphis , Tennessee
equalizer or reese dual cam

I had decided on an equalizer. I ordered it and after 10 days only the spring bars arrived. After tracking the order, I found UPS had returned the hitch-head plus the rest of the order due to package breakup. I called equzlizer about the problem, they said they would send another one out right away. After another 10 days, I received the package. It was missing one of the attachment links. I called equalizer again about that problem. they said they would send it out on 2 day air. I received that part ontime, went to install the hitch, only to find the "L" bracket would not fit into it's link. I called again, they said they would send a replacement. After thinking about it about an hour, I called a reese dealer to see if he had a dual cam in stock. He did and I installed it this same afternoon. I then called equalizer and told them to forget about sending the part I needed, because I was sending their hitch back. I had wasted a month in time on waiting on the hitch, plus $143 in shipping costs to and fro only to get a hitch that was not quality controlled enough to know if all the parts were correct in their package. I am sticking with a Reese Dual Cam. If that is not satisfactory, I will order a Hensley. Good Luck

Brian
WBCCI #5167
2004 Land Yacht XL396
2003 25' Classic
2005 GMC Sierra
fdx753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

You will ot be sorry with a Reese Dual Cam hitch. I have used one on our 31 ft Airstream for 32 years and over 100 thousand mile, they are great.
Ira Iburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 10:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
hitch

Brian,
I was surprised when the ups guy 'lugged' the boxes up to my door, they are too heavy for cardboard boxes, they are shipped in two boxes. Bummer about the parts missing and delays, after the first trip with mine I called about some questions and they were very helpful, I had good service with them from ordering to follow up.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 07:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ira
Do you have the stright or curved bars on your dual cam sway control? all of the pictures show the curved ends, I have the straight ends and I heard that Reese was supposed to have an adapter for them, I have sent them a inquirey to them but no response so far, I wii try again
Gene Wissink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:19 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Jaime,
You might consider the newer model dual-cam sway control (PN 26002) from Reese. Apparently they say it is quieter and they have addressed the U-bolt placement issue which for some is a problem.

I've first used the dual-cam on my SOB 7years ago and ported it over to the Safari.

It's a first class piece of equipment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dual Cam vs Eaz-Lift

The sway control that Reese calls "dual cam" when properly adjusted, knows when your tow vehicle and trailer are not in a straight line with each other.

The "friction" type sway controls have no idea if your straight or not.

Additionally, the bottom chain link on the Eaz-Lift torsion bars, has an definite wear pattern. Everytime you make a turn, that link moves, which in time "breaks." Repairing it with a "repair link' is not a good idea.

More importantly, when that chain breaks, a "LOSS OF CONTROL" accident can occur. That fact was well documented many years ago.

When using the Reese "dual cam" sway control, a chain holds the cam in a constant position. The chain "NEVER" moves. Therefore a wear pattern on the chain cannot occur.

Also, when towing in inclement weather, all friction type sway controls must have their adjustments "backed off." With the "dual cam" it functions the same always, regardless of weather.

Sort of a "no brainer."

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I am not sure you are all talking about the same hitch.

The Equal-i-zer is a brand of hitch. IT DOES NOT have any chains except for the safety chains that every hitch has.
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Melvin.

I think you are referring to the "platform" that's mounted on the tow vehicle.

I was making reference to the "torsion bars."

Most platforms work very well.

Not so for the torsion bars, spring bars, load equalizing bars.

They all level and transfer weight, very true.

However, depending on the design of the "bars," they can and do have a wear pattern, that will eventually fail.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 03-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

It seems to me that the stirrup that the Dual Cam uses would have more of a wear pattern than the system Equal-i-zer uses.

Except for Pullrite and Hensley which are superior, both these systems should be adequate for most TT's.

I just think the Equal-i-zer is easier to hook up, uses fewer parts and is a cleaner installation.

I was concerned with a prior post saying they were using a 1/2 ton Chevy to pull a 31' A/S. I would bet that it is way too heavy.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I have a 1/2 ton 4x2 suburban with the old hitch( flat bars, friction sway bar ) it looks like I will have to start over with a whole unit or try to find pieces that will work together. I am trying to put a hitch together using the Easy Ride air hitch and then adding the load bars and sway control, the reason for the air hitch is that I have a wife that has had two neck fusions and I was trying to cut down on the trailer bumps
Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

For those how don't know what an Equal-i-zer looks like

www.equalizerhitch.com has pictures, note that there are no chains to break. The torsion (spring bars) are not tapered, they are the same size from start to finish.

The connection between the truck and the TT is very important and should not be an afterthought when you get the TT. Most people just go with the dealers recommendation. That's about like going with the dealers recommendation about what you should pay for the TT. NOT always in your best interest. Do your own homework, order the video's and talk to others before you hook up and drive down the highway.

I have a friend that bought a new 27" SOB from a large dealer and went with what he had. Guess what, NO sway control at all. Dealer said he didn't really need it. 27' TT, pulled by 1/2 ton small V8 standard cab and he didn't need sway. I checked the GVW and it was over what Chevy recommended. He was overweight, no sway and happy as a cow in high clover. I didn't ask but he probably paid full retail!!!.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have an Equal-i-zer brand hitch - indeed there are no chains to wear.

Sway control is "built in". The front of the sway bars fit into sockets in the ball mount while the rear of the bars slide on "L" brackets mounted to the trailer A-frame. The rotation of the sockets and sliding of the bars over the L-brackets - both under compression from the pressure of the bars - introduces the friction. The friction points are lightly greased, and are thus not affected by rain.

This is a friction type hitch and not in the same league as Hensley or Pull-Rite. However, for a moderate sized trailer it seems to work fine. Moderate price and really easy to hitch up!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Sorry guys.

I am having a full moon monday.

Indeed, Equalizer hitches do not have chains.

I meant to say Eaz-Lift.

I will go back and edit my previous post.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Old 03-18-2003, 12:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Inland RV Center, In
Sorry guys.

I am having a full moon monday.

Indeed, Equalizer hitches do not have chains.

I meant to say Eaz-Lift.

I will go back and edit my previuos post.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Good Lord Andy I should say you are! It's Tuesday! LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

What is better in the Reese WD? Round bar or trunion. The old hitch is the square one ( trunion) I am getting confused, The Easyrider will build the hitch to match the bars. I looked at the HP sway control, it looks easier to install and adjust for center.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Ira Iburg
You will ot be sorry with a Reese Dual Cam hitch. I have used one on our 31 ft Airstream for 32 years and over 100 thousand mile, they are great.
Ira and others,

Do they really last that long?

I have the one that came with my Overlander and am wondering if they ever wear out. It does have wear in the trunnion areas and at the areas at the ends of the load bars, the places where they lock in and slide out of the notches.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:58 PM   #19

TO: Gene Wissink

We too are most certainly going to buy an Easy Rider Air Hitch.
In your case, I do not thing it will hurt, but you may be wasting your money.

It will not improve the ride of your tow vehicle, just the ride of the trailer. Unless your wife rides in the trailer she will not benefit from it.

You may want to check if it will not make it worse on your vehicle ride.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 06:17 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
While the Easy Rider hitch is designed to transmit less shock to the trailer, based on the material I have read, it also gives an easier ride on the vehicle. Even the 5th wheel designs on other sites state that there is less bounce on the vehicle.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote