Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Another 'option' for the greasy bit ends...

Get a couple sections of 2 inch hose and slide over the ends.. If you get the clear vinyl hose it is easy to handle..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thank you cwf. A great cost effective option. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have decided that I am not happy with the Eaz Lift hitch and sway bar performance on my Jeep after using it for a trip to the Maritimes and another to Florida. It does not do the same job as my old Hensley which seemed to provide effortless control for the driver, vehicle, and Airstream combination.The Hensley was simply far superior at controlling sway and about the same at transferring weight. Sway was non existant. However, the Hensley was history after it broke 3 times and a grease leak at the chambers holding the WD bars was not repairable. The Eaz Lift sway bars have now broken 3 times over two trips. It is incredibly jittery on bad roads, nasty wind and it is really noisy in the rain. Not good enough. Fortunately all malfunctions with both hitches occurred in various parking lots. My Reese Dual Cam never malfunctioned and provided much more control than the Eaz Lift with the friction anti sway bars although the Reese was used only with my 25' Safari. 300,000k no problems. With a 30' Signature and Jeep combination, it is now time to try a Pro Pride. Unless Tino can convince me that his new system is better. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
That's disappointing, Jim. Mind you, real world tales of woe all help to inform others when making decisions.

I'm no advocate for Eaz-Lift, but it is all I know; I have no other experience on which to make a comparison. I will say, though, that I've had very little trouble with the set up, albeit that we don't do that much traveling. I've no doubt that if I tried the Hensley then I'd probably complain about the Eaz-Lift but until then, I'll continue to enjoy the relatively easy ride I get from the current system.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Steve, The Eaz Lift seems to have a loyal following and your experience is typical. I think my experience is related to the relatively short wheel base Jeep and a pretty big Airstream which is why I went for the Hensley to start with. I had a look at a Pro Pride today at the storage yard and it is much beefier than the Hensley. It has more support in the weak area around the stinger insert and more heavy duty spring bar jacks. I am looking forward to trying it. Hope Can Am can arrange it. I will check tomorrow. Jim

Old 10-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
Hi Steve, The Eaz Lift seems to have a loyal following and your experience is typical. I think my experience is related to the relatively short wheel base Jeep and a pretty big Airstream which is why I went for the Hensley to start with. I had a look at a Pro Pride today at the storage yard and it is much beefier than the Hensley. It has more support in the weak area around the stinger insert and more heavy duty spring bar jacks. I am looking forward to trying it. Hope Can Am can arrange it. I will check tomorrow. Jim
I shall follow your experiences with interest, Jim. I'm going to need a new receiver next season as the old Hidden Hitch, as modified by Andy, is not only rusted badly (thanks Canadian winter) but the receiver box has become deformed with the loading exerted by the Eaz-Lift bars. Whilst doing that I may move to the Pro-Pride at the same time. I've never heard Andy express an opinion on it and I know that he doesn't sell them as Sean does all his own selling. I assume he and Sean are often in contact and that Andy has favourable things to say. Keep us informed, Jim.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Another trip, another broken sway bar. This time at the gas station making a normal turn to get out of the place. The sway system is just not good enough. The thing must perform during normal turns, tight turns, angular turns, any turn. No problem with the weight distribution part.
I saw a real nice west bound setup near Gananoque on Friday. I think the tow vehicle was a cream coloured SUV and it was a newer Airstream. Jim

Old 08-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #28
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Where does one store the WD bars and hitch head when storing the Airstream!
Apologies for re-opening an older thread, but I was looking for ideas on how to store the bars. I found two of these padded fishing rod cases at W_mart on sale at $25 per. Each one holds one torsion bar perfectly. It zips up to keep the greasy parts inside and I can store them in the TV while at the camp site.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing Rod Case.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	268986

I put the head unit and sway bar in a large canvas tool bag.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Eaz Lift Performance

I have taken the easy way out. I just leave everything attached to the Airstream. I put the shank pin complete with lock into the shank and put a coupler lock on. Cover the whole mess with an IKEA bag. I also leave the sway bars and weight distribution bars in place. So far no problems.
Even though I have established a very successful hooking up procedure, I still prefer the simplicity of the Hensley and look forward to going back to one once I break the current set up. Jim

Old 08-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The distance from sway ball to sway ball when straight should be 25 inches, it seems some gave a problem with them breaking., Strange since they've been in use at least since the mid eighties, was recommended by Avion for use with my 84 30 footer in the owners manual. I also noticed on your picture that the adjusting handle is low on the bar with the adjusting nut below it. Mine are the opposite with the handle on top. I have one husky sway bar, one eazlift sway bar and one other unknown one and they are all alike. I wonder why yours are different?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Don't know the answer Avionstream. I have not broken anything for a while and it may be because I am not tightening the sway bars as much as I was in the beginning. I was used to the rock solid Hensley sway performance and thought that if I really tightened the levers on the sway bars that I might get something close. Nope. What I got was broken sway bars. Now I have just gotten use to the performance and get by for now. I don't think it matters if the levers are on the top or bottom since the pressure applied by the pads is the same regardless. Jim

Old 08-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I always tighten mine a lot, interesting scenario here. Is your ball to ball length 25 inches!?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I will check when I am next at the Airstream. When I say tight I mean hand tight followed by another 180 with a torque bar. Really tight. Jim
Old 08-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think the instructions say tight but no torque bar.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A Google search shows the handle to be used to keep the device together. Not to be overnightend. The adjusting screw is used to increase sway effectiveness. So over tightening the handle is not necessary. If the sway control is not enough, tighten the adjusting screw. I googled sway control adjusting. One part of the instructions said over tightening of the handle can cause breakage, as well as over tightening the screw can cause noise and chatter. I learned something!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Thanks for the Google reference Avionstream. Some good information there, particularly from Sean Woodruff. I also learned something and will check the setup next time out. Most likely tomorrow. Jim
Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
The ball to ball length is 24" oc. Jim
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
I will check when I am next at the Airstream. When I say tight I mean hand tight followed by another 180 with a torque bar. Really tight. Jim
I wonder if that's your problem, Jim. I only ever hand tighten, and don't overdo that, either, and I've not had a problem in five years of use. Not including trying to get the Airstream to turn more that it should have when backing up in the dark, obviously; the less said about that little faux pas the better!

Hope all is well with you and the missus; we've not been out much this year but always look for you when we are.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Eaz Lift Performance

Hi Steve,
I no longer tighten the sway bars too much and I have been enjoying much improved performance. I have also developed a much better technique for hooking up and unhooking so I am much more pleased with the overall experience. We have been to Long Point once but mostly Selkirk for a few days during the week. We find Selkirk fits our style since the place is mostly empty and there is good cycling along the Waterfront Trail, plus it is only an hour away, sort of like your Rondeau.
We will be on some bigger trips in September and over the winter. This being retired is just awesome.